Arrrrgh! Hoist the Jolly Roger!

Post by Chris Ahlstro » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:39:39

As if anyone really cares:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/

This URL appears at the bottom of a Sony VAIO
ad.  I wonder why this URL is there... has
Sony been accused of chicanery with Illegal
Copies of Windows?

Make sure your COA is genuine!

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/how/default.asp

That way, only the best counterfeiters will be
able to counterfeit Microsoft software.

        Report software piracy. If you come across a
        product you think may be illegal, we'd
        like to know about it. Send e-mail to

        assured.

Man, if I were an exec at the typical business,
I'd be afraid to report ANYTHING to Microsoft.

I'm tempted to be utterly juvenile, and send a note
to the e-mail above stammering that somehow Linux
got onto my Windows box.  What am I to do????

Chris

--
[ Do Not Make Illegal Copies of This Message ]

Post by Chad Evere » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:17:41

> [--SNIP--]

>That way, only the best counterfeiters will be
>able to counterfeit Microsoft software.

>    Report software piracy. If you come across a
>    product you think may be illegal, we'd
>    like to know about it. Send e-mail to

>    assured.

>Man, if I were an exec at the typical business,
>I'd be afraid to report ANYTHING to Microsoft.

Get a list of all the Microsoft groupies from
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy and report them to
Microsoft.

Post by Craig Kelle » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 01:27:30

> As if anyone really cares:

> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/

> This URL appears at the bottom of a Sony VAIO
> ad.  I wonder why this URL is there... has
> Sony been accused of chicanery with Illegal
> Copies of Windows?

> Make sure your COA is genuine!

> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/how/default.asp

 [snip]

Quote:

> I'm tempted to be utterly juvenile, and send a note
> to the e-mail above stammering that somehow Linux
> got onto my Windows box.  What am I to do????

Try to buy a Vaio without Windows.

Try to buy a Vaio without Microsfot Word.

Try to buy a Vaio using anything other than Internet Explorer.

Are not these crimes as well?  Why should we pay for Word more than
once?

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard

Arrrrgh! Hoist the Jolly Roger!

Post by The Ghost In The Machi » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:01:16

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Craig Kelley

 wrote
on 27 Mar 2001 09:27:30 -0700

>> As if anyone really cares:

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> This URL appears at the bottom of a Sony VAIO
>> ad.  I wonder why this URL is there... has
>> Sony been accused of chicanery with Illegal
>> Copies of Windows?

>> Make sure your COA is genuine!

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> [snip]

>> I'm tempted to be utterly juvenile, and send a note
>> to the e-mail above stammering that somehow Linux
>> got onto my Windows box.  What am I to do????

>Try to buy a Vaio without Windows.

>Try to buy a Vaio without Microsfot Word.

>Try to buy a Vaio using anything other than Internet Explorer.

>Are not these crimes as well?  Why should we pay for Word more than
>once?

Uh, because it's such a wonderful product and everyone should?  :-)

You're right.  I don't believe it either.

[.sigsnip]

--

EAC code #191       50d:17h:33m actually running Linux.
                    It's a * of one.

Post by Chris Ahlstro » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:38:34

> Subject: Piracy????

> Somebody put Linux on my computer, and I didn't pay for it.

> Is that bad?

Well, I went ahead and did it.  Aaron, you're such a
bad influence.

Anybody willing flood them with crap?

Chris

Post by GreyClou » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:54:19

> > As if anyone really cares:

> > http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/

> > This URL appears at the bottom of a Sony VAIO
> > ad.  I wonder why this URL is there... has
> > Sony been accused of chicanery with Illegal
> > Copies of Windows?

> > Make sure your COA is genuine!

> > http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/how/default.asp

>  [snip]

> > I'm tempted to be utterly juvenile, and send a note
> > to the e-mail above stammering that somehow Linux
> > got onto my Windows box.  What am I to do????

> Try to buy a Vaio without Windows.

> Try to buy a Vaio without Microsfot Word.

> Try to buy a Vaio using anything other than Internet Explorer.

> Are not these crimes as well?  Why should we pay for Word more than
> once?

> --
> It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard

From what I've heard, down in Autralia, a group of people sued Toshiba.
They wanted a refund on the microsoft O/S as they didn't want that O/S.
They wanted Linux instead.
Toshiba refunded!

Post by Chris Ahlstro » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:31:43

> I just sent and email then just to check whether it was alright for me to
> install Linux on more than one computer :)

Here's the auto-reply I got:

                      Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:43:45 -0700

                    Subject: Auto-acknowledgment, Piracy? (KMM186999C0KM)

Microsoft Corporation thanks you for your recent correspondence to our
Anti-Piracy team.  As an international company that believes in
appreciating and protecting intellectual property, Microsoft devotes
substantial time and effort towards fighting software piracy, and we
appreciate your shared interest in this cause.

Our staff promptly handles questions or requests for information on
software piracy.  We actively pursue all reports on possible
unauthorized copying and/or distribution of Microsoft software.  Due to
the sensitive legal nature of these matters, it is not be possible for
us to provide feedback or updates about actions taken on your
submission.  However, we want you to know this in no way reduces the
importance of your submission to us.  We take these submissions very
seriously and will investigate the situation and proceed with whatever
action is deemed necessary.    The final outcome of many such matters
sent to us can be viewed via press releases located at
www.microsoft.com/piracy.  Visit this website to see other valuable
Anti-Piracy information such as recognizing genuine Microsoft software,
understanding Microsoft's licensing policies, and news about Microsoft's
Anti-Piracy initiatives.

Additional information -

---------
Reporting Software Piracy to Microsoft within USA or Canada:  Call
1-800-RU-LEGIT

--------------
Reporting Software Piracy to Microsoft outside of USA or Canada:
Visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/piracy_out_us.asp for
local telephone numbers

---------
For information on recognizing genuine Microsoft software acquired with
a new PC:
Visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/.

---------
Microsoft Authorized Distributors: Visit
http://www.microsoft.com/directaccess.

---------

Microsoft Authorized OEM Distributors: Visit
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/

---------

Listing of Microsoft volume licensing programs: Visit
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/

---------

Additional information about Anti-Piracy from the Business Software
Alliance:
Visit http://www.bsa.org.

Once again, we thank you for your interest and participation in fighting
software piracy!

Yours sincerely,

Microsoft Corporation
Anti-Piracy Team

Note the www.bsa.org URL, too.

Chris

--

Post by Andy Walke » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:42:02

>As if anyone really cares:

>http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/

>This URL appears at the bottom of a Sony VAIO
>ad.  I wonder why this URL is there... has
>Sony been accused of chicanery with Illegal
>Copies of Windows?

>Make sure your COA is genuine!

>http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/how/default.asp

>That way, only the best counterfeiters will be
>able to counterfeit Microsoft software.

> Report software piracy. If you come across a
> product you think may be illegal, we'd
> like to know about it. Send e-mail to

> assured.

>Man, if I were an exec at the typical business,
>I'd be afraid to report ANYTHING to Microsoft.

>I'm tempted to be utterly juvenile, and send a note
>to the e-mail above stammering that somehow Linux
>got onto my Windows box.  What am I to do????

>Chris

>--
>[ Do Not Make Illegal Copies of This Message ]

So much for honor amongst thieves. You would think Microsoft would be the
last people to complain about illegal activities!

Arrrrgh! Hoist the Jolly Roger!

Post by T. Max Devli » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:07:36

Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:54:19

>> > As if anyone really cares:

>> > http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/

>> > This URL appears at the bottom of a Sony VAIO
>> > ad.  I wonder why this URL is there... has
>> > Sony been accused of chicanery with Illegal
>> > Copies of Windows?

>> > Make sure your COA is genuine!

>> > http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/how/default.asp

>>  [snip]

>> > I'm tempted to be utterly juvenile, and send a note
>> > to the e-mail above stammering that somehow Linux
>> > got onto my Windows box.  What am I to do????

>> Try to buy a Vaio without Windows.

>> Try to buy a Vaio without Microsfot Word.

>> Try to buy a Vaio using anything other than Internet Explorer.

>> Are not these crimes as well?  Why should we pay for Word more than
>> once?

>> --
>> It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard

>From what I've heard, down in Autralia, a group of people sued Toshiba.
>They wanted a refund on the microsoft O/S as they didn't want that O/S.
>They wanted Linux instead.
>Toshiba refunded!

That's an urban legend.  The real story is more interesting.  Do some
research.

--
T. Max Devlin
  *** The best way to convince another is

Arrrrgh! Hoist the Jolly Roger!

Post by Edward Roste » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:40:17

Quote:> >From what I've heard, down in Autralia, a group of people sued Toshiba.
> >They wanted a refund on the microsoft O/S as they didn't want that O/S.
> >They wanted Linux instead.
> >Toshiba refunded!

> That's an urban legend.  The real story is more interesting.  Do some
> research.

And that would be....?

-Ed

--
Did you know that the oldest known rock is the famous |u98ejr

old?                                                  |eng.ox
                -The Hackenthorpe Book of Lies        |.ac.uk

Post by GreyClou » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:50:30

> Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:54:19

> >>  [snip]

> >> Try to buy a Vaio without Windows.

> >> Try to buy a Vaio without Microsfot Word.

> >> Try to buy a Vaio using anything other than Internet Explorer.

> >> Are not these crimes as well?  Why should we pay for Word more than
> >> once?

> >> --
> >> It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard

> >From what I've heard, down in Autralia, a group of people sued Toshiba.
> >They wanted a refund on the microsoft O/S as they didn't want that O/S.
> >They wanted Linux instead.
> >Toshiba refunded!

> That's an urban legend.  The real story is more interesting.  Do some
> research.

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

So its an urban legend...  As I said "From what I've heard" which
implies no research at all.