Best Buy rant

Post by Ari.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

    The other month I brought in my Compaq to get a faulty hard drive
fixed under warranty. While there I brought up the subject of the Linux
OS to the service manager, which they just started to carry. Well, the
response I recieved was not what I had expected.
    He proudly explained to me that Linux is an inferior product to
Windows (Win 95 on the computer that I was getting fixed), and that it
would be dead within the next couple of years.
    This guy insisted that I diddnt want to waste my time and money on
this OS. Being the curious person I am, I did indeed purchase Redhat 5.2
to see if I might like it. Unfortunately, I am by no means a "Power
User" and it isnt for me. But that experience with an alternative OS has
opened my eyes to the possibility that I dont have to settle for the
mainstream OS.
    I have in the meantime done homework on the various Windows Managers
for Linux, the BeOS, and the upcoming Mac OS X consumer release. My
whole computing experience has changed because of linux, and the Best
Buy guy that insisted that Windows was the only worthwhile OS. I dont
see the "MS or nothing" standard that average users have come to expect
from buying a computer.
    I wait the day when consumers can choose an OS based on it's
features and not on it's popularity. I wonder if one day I can walk into
an electronics store and see various computers lined up with different
OS's on each one trying to out do each other based on superiority not
marketshare.
    Youre probably wondering what the point of this post is,
truthfully.... I dont know. Okee dokey, happy computing.

Best Buy rant

Post by David M. Co » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>    I wait the day when consumers can choose an OS based on it's
>features and not on it's popularity.

A refreshing attitude.  So many people, either consciously or
subconsciously, want others to use only what they use.  The existence of
alternatives is a considerable source of angst for them.

Dave Cook
--
No Linux for you!

Best Buy rant

Post by mlw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >    I wait the day when consumers can choose an OS based on it's
> >features and not on it's popularity.

> A refreshing attitude.  So many people, either consciously or
> subconsciously, want others to use only what they use.  The existence of
> alternatives is a considerable source of angst for them.

> Dave Cook
> --
> No Linux for you!

This is a very good point. Except for a couple things

(1) Resources
If all the good people develop on one platform, regardless of relative
merits, that platform gets all the good apps. So one motive of advocacy
is to increase usership such that "your platform" receives more
development time from app vendors. The "squeaky wheel" gets the oil.

When you have a behemoth like Microsoft hogging up all the marketplace,
it is hard to use a non Microsoft platform, thus the somewhat frantic
advocacy of Linux people, "Squeaky wheels."

(2) Human Nature
Even if there were many viable operating systems, Linux, *BSD, Windows,
NT, all within a few percentage points of one another, you would still
see the sports paradigm advocacy where one's team is "better" than
another.

I guess, when all is said and done, we are all tribal. We always think
in a tribal fashion, and about the craziest things, religion, town,
country, sports teams, movies (Rocky Horror Picture Show), race, car
ownership, the type of truck you like, school attended, etc.

It is natural to find a binding with an occupation, hobby or any shared
experience. It is also very difficult to separate one's self from the
inclination to build these connections. Hence advocacy.

It is very difficult to go through life and choose everything based
solely on merit. Often times, the relative merits are so obscure that
they do not matter. Other times, they are lost in a barrage of
advertising or FUD, sometimes, one does not even understand the
differences. More often than not, we only form opinions based on a
loosely gathered set of facts, and have no real reason to reevaluate our
opinions. Hence advocacy.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

Best Buy rant

Post by Brian Dea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>    I wait the day when consumers can choose an OS based on it's
>features and not on it's popularity.

You can today, and you did. You tried LInux, it didn't do what you needed,
you dumped Linux. How much more freedom do you want?

Best Buy rant

Post by Compuco » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Dave!

 >    I wait the day when consumers can choose an OS based on it's
 >features and not on it's popularity.

 DMC> A refreshing attitude.  So many people, either consciously or
 DMC> subconsciously, want others to use only what they use.  The existence
 DMC> of alternatives is a considerable source of angst for them.

        Yes it is true.. I'll admit it myself even though I'm only a
fledging myself in the Linux community. I have to agree that Linux has
something to offer that MS doesn't have. Which I am going to be happy in
getting into linux when I get it up and running on my two computer
systems here..

Karl (AKA Compucore)

Web site: http://www.angelfire.com/co/compucore

... It's easy to suggest the solution when you don't know the problem.
--

| Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly her/his own.
|                      From addresses mangled solely to block spamming.
| Apologies to those trying to respond, correct suffix with .net

Best Buy rant

Post by David J. Coff » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>    Youre probably wondering what the point of this post is,
>truthfully.... I dont know. Okee dokey, happy computing.

     The point is, a chain store is absolutely the worst
place to ask software questions.  The only honest answer
you'll ever get from those people is "I don't know".

     I don't see any remedy for this.  If a store paid the
going rate for computer expertise, they'd have to charge
much higher prices.  No one would pay those prices; they'd
just take the expert advice and go back to Best Buy.

Q:  What's the difference between car salesmen and computer
salesmen?

A1:  A car salesman knows when he's lying to you.
A2:  Most car salesmen have actually driven a car.

                                        Dave Coffin  5/9/99

1. Newbie rant: which type of DELL to buy, and Linux uncertainty

Hi Linux gurus!

4 years ago when I was a grad student I installed ever a
redhat 5.2 on an OEM PC (intel 486). Still miss those
Latex docs as well as the slick speed comparing to Win95.
(Yeah, I did nothing except writing a thesis with Latex
during the grad studying ;-))

Now it is 2003 and the PC industry changed dramatically,
as least from my point of view. Windows 2000 is not
slow on a DELL portable (intel PIII), never crashed.

Nonsense stops here.

I still want to set up and see a linux box at home for
personal use as well as web hosting (hobby)/email/p2p server
etc.

I have extensive exposure to *N*X software esp. programming,
what concerned me is mainly hardware compatibility. I don't
want to see my DVD doens't work or the USB is useless or the
video card is super slow etc etc.

As I have little experience on PC hardware, I would prefer
to buy a DELL. As people suggested RedHat is good at server
side, I want the DELL work with the RedHat release (Is KDE
in the GUI choice?) Then mainly my question is here: which
type of DELL to buy?

Actually I am also concerned with the networking as well as
localization support (Chinese must) when speaking of Linux.
Currently I have had an ADSL connection (external modem via
network cards on DELL portable). And I could still use MSN
messager/AQuickWebBrowser with Chinese (inc. input) support?

I think I post too much questions! Their must be anwsers
already existing... BTW, should I have to deinstall the
preinstalled windows XP on DELL or dual boot and may violate
DELL's support contract? YET ANOTHER BTW, how could I play
GO (only .exe client available for my favorite server)? ...
OOPS, I cannot wait to make the decision.

Wish you a happy 2003!
Wenjie

2. Mounting Dos (win95) partitions - All my FTP RPMS are there, how to access from Linux?

3. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

4. Timrout on Unix Domain Sockets ?

5. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux

6. Can't boot---run out of input data

7. Best Inkjet Printer to Buy

8. Where?

9. Best Place to Buy Yagrass' Plug and Play.

10. *best* ethernet card to buy

11. What is the best card to buy?

12. Best Buy selling Linux products?!

13. Best-buy soundcard for Linux