MS Windows Falls victum to Lindows OS.

Post by Simon Cook » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:53:39

> Wow!!!

> With Walmart's commercial clout, this could force ISVs to test on
> Lindows.

Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

Simon

Post by mlw » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:33:19

> > Wow!!!

> > With Walmart's commercial clout, this could force ISVs to test on
> > Lindows.

> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

> Simon

yea, but!! The ISV can get the source and submit bug fixes!

Post by GreyClou » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 23:48:08

> > Wow!!!

> > With Walmart's commercial clout, this could force ISVs to test on
> > Lindows.

> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

I'm going to take a wait and watch attitude on this one by
Walmart.
Seeing that Walmart is everywhere in the U.S.

Post by Bigb » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 20:13:31

> The computers sell from $599 all the way down to $299!

This is huge because, unlike Dell and IBM, Linux is being offered on a
computer that gives MSWindows users a reason to switch.  Price.  Dell and
IBM offer it on $1000 to $1500 computers.  Now people can say $900 MS
driven computer or $500 non-MS driven computer...
--
Bigby

Remove Windows, then email me - take it both ways.

Post by Charlie Eber » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:14:50

>> > Wow!!!

>> > With Walmart's commercial clout, this could force ISVs to test on
>> > Lindows.

>> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

> I'm going to take a wait and watch attitude on this one by
> Walmart.
> Seeing that Walmart is everywhere in the U.S.

It is mail order only via their website.

I predict the next manuever to be made will be to place
the Lindows equipped PC's on the store shelves.

And I'm sure this would violate some MS agreement, but
considering they are selling them at all, IN FOR A PENNY,
IN FOR A POUND --- it will happen this year.

Look for them in your local stores soon.

Charlie

Post by Roy Cull » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 00:51:38

>> > Wow!!!

>> > With Walmart's commercial clout, this could force ISVs to test on
>> > Lindows.

>> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

> I'm going to take a wait and watch attitude on this one by Walmart.
> Seeing that Walmart is everywhere in the U.S.

It certainly isn't how I expected Linux to venture into the mainstream
desktop market. I wish them luck but to me Lindows is MS Windows
running on a Linux kernel.

When a major OEM offers Linux desktop systems based on gentoo then
I'll be a happy man. :-)

MS Windows Falls victum to Lindows OS.

Post by Sinister Midge » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 03:36:43

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:53:39 -0500, Simon Cooke claimed:

>> Wow!!!

>> With Walmart's commercial clout, this could force ISVs to test on
>> Lindows.

> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

> Simon

And we haven't even discovered the "easter egg" bigs in Micros~1 stuff
yet. You know, the ones they hide to make a game out of it for loyal users
to find and announce to each other.

--
An NT server can be run by any idiot, and usually is.

Post by Simon Cook » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 04:34:24

>> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

>> Simon

> yea, but!! The ISV can get the source and submit bug fixes!

Can the ISV also provide patches to all their customers for the
customer's OS so that the customer's OS is the same version as the one
that their app runs on successfully?

Simon

Post by mlw » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 05:13:04

> >> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

> >> Simon

> > yea, but!! The ISV can get the source and submit bug fixes!

> Can the ISV also provide patches to all their customers for the
> customer's OS so that the customer's OS is the same version as the one
> that their app runs on successfully?

> Simon

Probably, depending

Post by GreyClou » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 07:12:39

> >> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

> > I'm going to take a wait and watch attitude on this one by Walmart.
> > Seeing that Walmart is everywhere in the U.S.

> It certainly isn't how I expected Linux to venture into the mainstream
> desktop market. I wish them luck but to me Lindows is MS Windows
> running on a Linux kernel.

> When a major OEM offers Linux desktop systems based on gentoo then
> I'll be a happy man. :-)

Hard to say what Wally has in mind.  Considering the low
cost of the machine and all, Walmart could afford to lose on
this one, unfortunately.  But as another pointed out,
Lindows may have been customized for this machine as it's
pre-loaded.  If this works out then another distro may be
offered.

MS Windows Falls victum to Lindows OS.

Post by Terry Por.. » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 07:27:07

Simon Cooke threw some tea leaves on the floor

>> Wow!!!

>> With Walmart's commercial clout, this could force ISVs to test on
>> Lindows.

> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

There are 52,000 *less* viruses to learn about with Linux when compared
to Windows.

In my experience most Windows users have *no clue* about Windows, and
they havent learnt anything.

The advantage with Linux is that it teaches its users a bit at a time,
unlike Windows which attempts to hide everything. In the case of Linux
this is a good thing as computers *are* complex, regardless of
the Microsoft marketing machines attempts to portray otherwise.

For my friends, wherever they live, if they are on the internet, I can
sort their problem out, for others I'm available at a reasonable price
:)

If you use Windows, I'm not coming to your house to fix the kind of
problem I can from home if you use Linux.

--
              Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Sorcerer kernel 2.4.17

Post by Simon Cook » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 13:47:41

>> Great. Yet another OS to learn the bugs in.

> There are 52,000 *less* viruses to learn about with Linux when
> compared to Windows.
[snip]
> The advantage with Linux is that it teaches its users a bit at a time,
> unlike Windows which attempts to hide everything. In the case of Linux
> this is a good thing as computers *are* complex, regardless of
> the Microsoft marketing machines attempts to portray otherwise.

I think you missed my point.

The problem here is that if people start expecting Windows software to
run on Lindows, then any differences between Lindows and Windows are
going to have to be catered to by the Windows software developers.

Either that, or Lindows will be ignored in favor of the larger customer
base that Windows has, and Lindows will have to evolve to support the
differences.

I'd actually be happier if the two OSs end up so different that you have
to write two different front-ends to a common back end, instead of
having to thread lots of special-case code throughout the GUI. It's bad
enough when you have to do that now with Windows (and if you want to
theme your controls for XP, you have to do lots of that work today) for
the differences between 98, 95, NT, 2000 and XP.

It's not an end-user problem so much as a developer problem, and
frankly, I'm one lazy son of a * and everything that makes my job
harder pisses me off ;-)

Simon

MS Windows Falls victum to Lindows OS.

Post by Nigel Feltha » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 02:13:59

Quote:> And I'm sure this would violate some MS agreement, but
> considering they are selling them at all, IN FOR A PENNY,
> IN FOR A POUND --- it will happen this year.

If they don't supply any of their PC's with windows then it's likely they
have no aggreements with MS so there is nothing to violate.

1. X windows vs MS-windows 3.1 (MS wins)

Hi Linuxers,

I currently tried to install Xfree windows on my Linux box..
(Kernel 1.0, slackware distribution, 386 sx 16MHZ (don't laugh)
 8 MB mem, 256K VGA card (don't laugh again), vga monitor
(not multisync) )

Using the monochrome X windows driver which requires only 64K of
video memory, I noticed that X windows were very slow compared to
MS-windows..I also had problems moving my mouse while waiting for
a window to open..Also the background screen in X windows was much
smaller than the background screen in Ms-Win...I am not a
windows fan (any kind of windows require a lot of system resources and
fast expensive hardware)..but I think X win could be better..

                                                        Regards,
                                                       Constantine

*"HELLAS=Science,Arts,Civilization,Democracy"                     *

2. 2.4.19 - not a real problem

3. MS sues over Lindows trademark

4. Tuning DNS with nscd

5. new newsgroup comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95

6. What's the best debugger?

7. Linux not wanted on comp.os.ms-windows?

8. SSA

9. NEEDED: ms-window file viewer for sun solrais or sun os

10. Lindows seeks judgement against MS!

11. Lindows Kicked MS's BUTT!

12. WINE, Lindows & MS App. licences

13. Why is it so quiet over in comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy?