Migrate With Confidence From Microsoft Windows Servers to UNIX/Linux

Migrate With Confidence From Microsoft Windows Servers to UNIX/Linux

Post by Daero » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 03:06:22

http://web.cuug.ab.ca/~leblancj/nt_to_unix.html
Strategic Information for IT Executives and Managers

A white paper by Jon C. LeBlanc IT Manager, (Hewlett Packard Certified
IT Professional, Sun Microsystems Certified Solaris System
Administrator)

Executive Summary
        This paper and site are intended to provide today's leading
Information Technology executives, managers, system administrators,
and purchasers with clear, brief, dispassionate, and factual arguments
for migrating some or all of their corporate computing resources away
from the Microsoft Windows NT, 2000, XP, and .NET Server operating
systems to an attractive, time-tested, ever-more-popular environment:
UNIX/ Linux.

Post by Luser - short for linux use » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 04:27:33

Quote:> http://web.cuug.ab.ca/~leblancj/nt_to_unix.html
> Strategic Information for IT Executives and Managers

> A white paper by Jon C. LeBlanc IT Manager, (Hewlett Packard Certified
> IT Professional, Sun Microsystems Certified Solaris System
> Administrator)

> Executive Summary
> This paper and site are intended to provide today's leading
> Information Technology executives, managers, system administrators,
> and purchasers with clear, brief, dispassionate, and factual arguments
> for migrating some or all of their corporate computing resources away
> from the Microsoft Windows NT, 2000, XP, and .NET Server operating
> systems to an attractive, time-tested, ever-more-popular environment:
> UNIX/ Linux.

<quote>To wit, Microsoft executive Steve Ballmer has described how the
Microsoft Office software suite is destined to become the conduit that will
connect end users with .NET server and network resources. Office is being
rewritten to behave as a "relational XML store" in which Microsoft intends
to bring together, in Ballmer's words, "...one storage system instead of
doing HTML, the file system, the database system, the e-mail system, they
all today have their own search to manage, their own query, their own
programmability, etc., and that is part of the thing that stands between
getting Office to be a front end for payroll processing or decision support
or workflow applications." </quote>

Scary shit.

Migrate With Confidence From Microsoft Windows Servers to UNIX/Linux

Post by Lin?nu » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 05:15:01

While watching the eternal hourglass, Luser - short for linux user assayed this pronouncement:

Quote:> <quote>To wit, Microsoft executive Steve Ballmer has described how the
> Microsoft Office software suite is destined to become the conduit that will
> connect end users with .NET server and network resources. Office is being
> rewritten to behave as a "relational XML store" in which Microsoft intends
> to bring together, in Ballmer's words, "...one storage system instead of
> doing HTML, the file system, the database system, the e-mail system, they
> all today have their own search to manage, their own query, their own
> programmability, etc., and that is part of the thing that stands between
> getting Office to be a front end for payroll processing or decision support
> or workflow applications." </quote>

> Scary shit.

Put all your eggs in one basket and let the boars guard it.

--
Living large and loving Linux!

Post by Daero » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 05:29:21

>While watching the eternal hourglass, Luser - short for linux user assayed this pronouncement:

>> <quote>To wit, Microsoft executive Steve Ballmer has described how the
>> Microsoft Office software suite is destined to become the conduit that will
>> connect end users with .NET server and network resources. Office is being
>> rewritten to behave as a "relational XML store" in which Microsoft intends
>> to bring together, in Ballmer's words, "...one storage system instead of
>> doing HTML, the file system, the database system, the e-mail system, they
>> all today have their own search to manage, their own query, their own
>> programmability, etc., and that is part of the thing that stands between
>> getting Office to be a front end for payroll processing or decision support
>> or workflow applications." </quote>

>> Scary shit.

>Put all your eggs in one basket and let the boars guard it.

So as well as turning a glorified graphical interface into an
enterprise class OS they are now trying to foist a glorified word
processer onto us and call it our conduit to the Internet.

It's funny and tragic at the same time. Of course the fact he's
spouting so much hot ( virtual ) air accounts for them spending so
much time in Washington lobbying for privileged  treatment for MS. The
product obviously cannot compete on a level playing field.

Post by QUAD » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 06:47:27

> >While watching the eternal hourglass, Luser - short for linux user

assayed this pronouncement:

Quote:

> >> <quote>To wit, Microsoft executive Steve Ballmer has described how the
> >> Microsoft Office software suite is destined to become the conduit that
will
> >> connect end users with .NET server and network resources. Office is
being
> >> rewritten to behave as a "relational XML store" in which Microsoft
intends
> >> to bring together, in Ballmer's words, "...one storage system instead
of
> >> doing HTML, the file system, the database system, the e-mail system,
they
> >> all today have their own search to manage, their own query, their own
> >> programmability, etc., and that is part of the thing that stands
between
> >> getting Office to be a front end for payroll processing or decision
support
> >> or workflow applications." </quote>

> >> Scary shit.

> >Put all your eggs in one basket and let the boars guard it.

> So as well as turning a glorified graphical interface into an
> enterprise class OS they are now trying to foist a glorified word
> processer onto us and call it our conduit to the Internet.

It makes sense (at least to ms) that office / xdocs should be the logical
replacement for browser based applications.  They want to control the web
and they need a reason for corporations to upgrade office.  The arm twisting
of licensing 6.0 or die failed for the most part.  The stupid companies that
signed up, what are they getting?  Office and server products really are on
a 3 to 4 year dev cycle whereas the licensing is renewable every 2 or 3
years meaning you're likely going to give ms money for nothing.

1. How to prevent Linux from migrating to Microsoft Windows

Hi,

sorry for the provocative question, but I wanted to draw some attention
here. :-))

Right now I'm having trouble with runaway processes.
Sometimes some application just stops responding. Well, this is bad but I
can live with it. But it get's really annoying when I try to kill the
process, and it won't let me !!!

I tried every signal, even kill -9 which should be a sure kill - no effect,
the process is still there ! Then I killed the parent shell - the shell is
gone, but the hanging process is not !?!?!?

Well, I could just leave these processes running, but imagine the hanging
process is accessing some resource like for example a cdrom drive.
Then it would block my cdrom drive and leave it totally useless!

The only solution I found is killing the X-Server and hoping this removes
the processes too or rebooting the complete machine.

Well, sorry, but this strongly reminds me of Microsoft Windows behaviour.

I'm using Linux for years now, first Slackware, then Suse and now Mandrake.
And all the time I also used Microsoft Windows ( Win95, Win98, NT4, Win2k,
WinXP) for working and gaming.

Linux has become a great operation system for server solutions and desktop
uses. But in my oppinion lately Linux is migrating towards another unstable
Microsoft Windows clone. It has become more important to implement new
features and gimmicks than to prodice clean, stable code.

And again, this strongly reminds me of Microsoft Windows behaviour.

Therefore, in my opinion in a couple of years Linux could be a true and
complete replacement for the up to date Microsoft Windows. That is, in both
features and stability ...

I would like to hear some comments/answers/suggestions on my current
problem and the overall topic.

Thanks in advance

Olaf

Olaf Stauffer

home: Studentendorf           work: IPT

2. Brief like editor?

3. The Bible according to Linux: Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 versus UNIX

4. Peripheral IDs

5. More Migrating From Windows to Linux then Unix to Linux

6. Windows 2K sucks at burning CDs, linux does it wonderfully

7. migrating from ms windows, to solaris(unix) or debian(linux)?

8. ppp and dns

9. Unix print server for Microsoft's Windows for Workgroups

10. Migrating Windows Client/Server setup to Linux

11. NFS Server - Microsoft "Windows Services for UNIX"

12. migrate users from one linux server to new linux server

13. get unix x-windows program to start microsoft windows program