I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Linonu » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 07:04:00

Yeah.  My daughter's going off to college in August (a couple
weeks early to get a head start on the soccer program at
Centre College, KY.)

I'm turning my Enpower (Mitac) laptop over to her, and buying
a Dell Inspiron with SXGA+.  She wants that machine, but I think
a 96Mb 13" 388 MHz K6 with 10 Gb is good enough for her.  She'll
have a NIC and hopefully IT there won't FUBAR her setup.
And if it gets stolen, it's a machine that is now worth only about
$399, I'd guess.  I'll have to convert the Linux partitions to a
big-ass data partition, since she's still a Windozer.  I hope I
can get her self-sufficient.  Centre HelpLess Desk will have
to deal with her.  Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!  Hope they gotta good
dang firewall. KaZaa here we come!

I want the Dell to be a replacement for this old P II 400 MHz
desktop with 356Mb of RAM.  I can re-use this machine for
a Linux server, convert my P 166 Linux server into a dual
boot (Win 98 and Linux) workstation for doing some Win 98
work I need to do for a client/friend.

I looked at Toshiba, but the 15" screen has only a res of
1024x768, same as the current laptop.

I looked at the HP Pavilion, but it was a couple hundred
more expensive than the Dell.

So, bottom line, I succumbed to the Stephen-Meister.

Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell.

Chris

--
It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing about the problem.

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by timeOda » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:25:24

> I looked at Toshiba, but the 15" screen has only a res of
> 1024x768, same as the current laptop.

What an utter waste that is.

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Jim Richardso » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:38:35

On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 05:04:00 GMT,

> Yeah.  My daughter's going off to college in August (a couple
> weeks early to get a head start on the soccer program at
> Centre College, KY.)

> I'm turning my Enpower (Mitac) laptop over to her, and buying
> a Dell Inspiron with SXGA+.  She wants that machine, but I think
> a 96Mb 13" 388 MHz K6 with 10 Gb is good enough for her.  She'll
> have a NIC and hopefully IT there won't FUBAR her setup.
> And if it gets stolen, it's a machine that is now worth only about
> $399, I'd guess.  I'll have to convert the Linux partitions to a
> big-ass data partition, since she's still a Windozer.  I hope I
> can get her self-sufficient.  Centre HelpLess Desk will have
> to deal with her.  Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!  Hope they gotta good
> dang firewall. KaZaa here we come!

> I want the Dell to be a replacement for this old P II 400 MHz
> desktop with 356Mb of RAM.  I can re-use this machine for
> a Linux server, convert my P 166 Linux server into a dual
> boot (Win 98 and Linux) workstation for doing some Win 98
> work I need to do for a client/friend.

> I looked at Toshiba, but the 15" screen has only a res of
> 1024x768, same as the current laptop.

> I looked at the HP Pavilion, but it was a couple hundred
> more expensive than the Dell.

> So, bottom line, I succumbed to the Stephen-Meister.

> Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell.

> Chris

I have the I8100, awesome machine, spend the few bucks extra and get the
UXGA if you can 1600x1200 is, well, awesome :) Check out my site.
(specifically, the linux page) at
<http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/computers/linux.html> for a screenshot,
be careful, the thumbnail links to a 1600x1200 png file :)

well, it should be there when I get to the hotel to send the screenshot,
probably the same time I will send these newsposts off...

--

Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by jyny » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 12:28:25

> I looked at Toshiba, but the 15" screen has only a res of
> 1024x768, same as the current laptop.

Yes, be careful of Toshiba.  The one I have goes ok, but no (linux) 3D
acceleration for the savage graphics cards - seems S3 want to drive
customers away.

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Sinister Midge » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 12:21:47

On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 23:04:00 -0600, Linonut claimed:
<SNIP>

Quote:> I want the Dell to be a replacement for this old P II 400 MHz desktop
> with 356Mb of RAM.  I can re-use this machine for a Linux server,
> convert my P 166 Linux server into a dual boot (Win 98 and Linux)
> workstation for doing some Win 98 work I need to do for a client/friend.

> I looked at Toshiba, but the 15" screen has only a res of 1024x768, same
> as the current laptop.

> I looked at the HP Pavilion, but it was a couple hundred more expensive
> than the Dell.

> So, bottom line, I succumbed to the Stephen-Meister.

> Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell.

> Chris

Using the pukey retard to sell the product is enough to make me avoid the
line completely, thank you very much! And the dufus cow idea is still so
bad in my mind that I can't stomach the thought of anything Gateway.

Guess I'll just have to build my own stuff. That leaves out laptops. But
after owning a Compaq, I don't think I could ever touch another one!

--
Windows: 5,000,000 alpha-testers, and GROWING!

--- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
--- 1,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
--- Access to over 100 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
--- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Linonu » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:33:20

After takin' a swig o' grog, Jim Richardson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> I have the I8100, awesome machine, spend the few bucks extra and get the
> UXGA if you can 1600x1200 is, well, awesome :) Check out my site.
> (specifically, the linux page) at
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/computers/linux.html> for a screenshot,
> be careful, the thumbnail links to a 1600x1200 png file :)

Dell had a little deal on the SXGA+ (1400 x 1050).  The presence of
my wife prevented me from upgrading to 512Mb.

Cool site!  Hey, that's my post in that PNG!

Chris

--

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Linonu » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:34:36

After takin' a swig o' grog, Sinister Midget belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> Using the pukey retard to sell the product is enough to make me avoid the
> line completely, thank you very much!

That's cold, dude.

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Ed Cogbur » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 17:03:55

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Sinister Midget belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>Using the pukey retard to sell the product is enough to make me avoid the
>>line completely, thank you very much!

> That's cold, dude.

I don't know if I'd use "pukey retard", but I would find something
derogatory to say too, because I'm already sick of those commercials.
Why is it that more and more commercials are starting to really irritate
me the first time I see'em.  Is it me or is advertising companies
getting more idiotic and absurd.

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by D. C. Session » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 17:09:54

Quote:> Yeah.  My daughter's going off to college in August (a couple
> weeks early to get a head start on the soccer program at
> Centre College, KY.)

I'm there, Bro.  I have two heading off to NMT [1][2] about
then, and one of the nice things about that school [1] is that
they sell off the "old" (1yo) machines from the labs every
fall to incoming students for a song.

Of course, they're desktops but I offered the boys notebooks and
they prefer boat anchors, partly for security reasons.  Why rip
off a machine that the school practically gave away?

[1] http://www.nmt.edu
[2] Nice school.  Keeps decent mirrors and is _heavily_ into
    Linux.  Check out where Yellow Dog calls home.  The sysadmins
    tell us that all of the lab machines dual-boot but almost
    nobody boots to Windows.

--
| It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance  |
|  It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance  |

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Mark Ke » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 21:54:11

>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Sinister Midget belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>>Using the pukey retard to sell the product is enough to make me avoid the
>>>line completely, thank you very much!

>> That's cold, dude.

>I don't know if I'd use "pukey retard", but I would find something
>derogatory to say too, because I'm already sick of those commercials.
>Why is it that more and more commercials are starting to really irritate
>me the first time I see'em.  Is it me or is advertising companies
>getting more idiotic and absurd.

I've been finding the same of late.  I was putting it down to getting
old... (me, not them)

--
            |  Mark Kent   --   Take out the ham to mail me.  |
Son, someday a man is going to walk up to you with a deck of cards on which

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Linonu » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 21:59:45

After takin' a swig o' grog, Ed Cogburn belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> I don't know if I'd use "pukey retard", but I would find something
> derogatory to say too, because I'm already sick of those commercials.
> Why is it that more and more commercials are starting to really irritate
> me the first time I see'em.  Is it me or is advertising companies
> getting more idiotic and absurd.

No, your IQ is increasing due to eating lots of fish.

Chris

--
... or were you driving the PONTIAC that HONKED at me in MIAMI last Tuesday?

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Jim Richardso » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:52:17

On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:33:20 GMT,

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Jim Richardson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>> I have the I8100, awesome machine, spend the few bucks extra and get the
>> UXGA if you can 1600x1200 is, well, awesome :) Check out my site.
>> (specifically, the linux page) at
>> <http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock/computers/linux.html> for a screenshot,
>> be careful, the thumbnail links to a 1600x1200 png file :)

> Dell had a little deal on the SXGA+ (1400 x 1050).  The presence of
> my wife prevented me from upgrading to 512Mb.

> Cool site!  Hey, that's my post in that PNG!

Thanks. :) Yeah, I decided to make the screenshot to show the
gorgousness (if that's a word) of the 1600x1200 screen. It was $100
extra for the UXGA IIRC, at the time. But the deal at Dell changes so
quickly that when you see a deal you like, grab it. When I bought mine,
I was going to get the bare minimum of RAM and buy the full 512MB from
Crucial or Kingston, it was about $120 for 512MB at the time, but Dell
preempted me and had a deal that I got the 512MB for (IIRC) about $75.
Couldn't pass it up. This laptop has to last me about 5 years. (assuming
I don't win the lottery, or have a rich but heretofore unknown to me
relative die... leaving me all the dosh)

Anyway. I am very happy (so far) with my Dell, even though I hate that
damn commercial :)

--

Post by Jim Lasco » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 04:02:54

Quote:

> Using the pukey retard to sell the product is enough to make me avoid the
> line completely, thank you very much! And the dufus cow idea is still so
> bad in my mind that I can't stomach the thought of anything Gateway.

> Guess I'll just have to build my own stuff. That leaves out laptops. But
> after owning a Compaq, I don't think I could ever touch another one!

LOL i have a IBM 600E, Its a older one but it rocks so no upgrades for
me for quite a looong while
Jim

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Linonu » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 04:38:01

After takin' a swig o' grog, Jim Richardson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> Thanks. :) Yeah, I decided to make the screenshot to show the
> gorgousness (if that's a word) of the 1600x1200 screen. It was $100
> extra for the UXGA IIRC, at the time. But the deal at Dell changes so
> quickly that when you see a deal you like, grab it. When I bought mine,
> I was going to get the bare minimum of RAM and buy the full 512MB from
> Crucial or Kingston, it was about $120 for 512MB at the time, but Dell
> preempted me and had a deal that I got the 512MB for (IIRC) about $75.
> Couldn't pass it up. This laptop has to last me about 5 years. (assuming
> I don't win the lottery, or have a rich but heretofore unknown to me
> relative die... leaving me all the dosh)

The deal Dell had when I "configured" was a free upgrade to SXGA+,
and a free DVD or some such, plus a free extra 128 Mb of RAM for
a total of 256 Mb.  I really wanted 512 Mb, but maybe RAM will
drop again.

Hell, 256 Mb is adequate even for XP.  However, I'm stripping that
monstrosity off the system before I even boot, and am going to
try to get a Windows refund.

Might as well dual boot to Debian and Win 2000, eh?  While computers
still allow a non-Microsoft boot-loader to be installed.

Chris

--
gleemites, n.:
        Petrified deposits of toothpaste found in sinks.

I'm gettin' a Dell, Dude!

Post by Sinister Midge » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 05:39:26

On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:03:55 -0600, Ed Cogburn claimed:

>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Sinister Midget belched out this bit o'
>> wisdom:

>>>Using the pukey retard to sell the product is enough to make me avoid
>>>the line completely, thank you very much!

>> That's cold, dude.

> I don't know if I'd use "pukey retard", but I would find something
> derogatory to say too, because I'm already sick of those commercials.
> Why is it that more and more commercials are starting to really irritate
> me the first time I see'em.  Is it me or is advertising companies
> getting more idiotic and absurd.

OK, so maybe "pukey retard" was a little much. How about "dopey inbred" or
"brainless twit" as replacements?

Commercials _are_ getting worse. Either the idea people all retired and
they started hiring grade schoolers, or they all think we like the grade
school attitude.

Anything that insults me outta the box loses me. Dell has done it. Gateway
did it awhile back when they had some of the loopy Gateway Country ads
(particularly the one with the girl blowing up the big dummy with the hand
pump). They cemented it with the cow in the crapper. If MS hadn't lost me
a long time ago with their deceit, they'd have done it the last couple of
years with their insulting tripe. Geico will never be a consideration,
what with their stupid gecko commercials, ducks with smaller bills and
telling me about sugared-up kids on sleepovers.

I could go on, but you get the picture.

--
If at first you don't succeed, get a job at Microsoft.

--- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
--- 1,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
--- Access to over 100 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
--- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

1. Gettin 'Home' key working

        How can the home/end/insert/delete keys on the console and
console keypad be mapped to work properly?
        Under slackware and bash, only a ~ is printed when these keys
are pressed.  I've tried adding suitable escape sequences to
/etc/termcap to no avail.
        It seems that the tty driver is not recognising these keys.
However if less is run, and these keys are pressed, the propper escape
sequence appears on the screen! (and presumably for any other curses
program).
        Could someone please post a summary of how to get these keys
working under the shell, joe, etc.

        Thanks,
        Junaid

2. KICQ Under X Misbehaving ...

3. OS/2 WARP and DELL XPS P90 **** DON'T BUY DELL'S PC!!!

4. PCI interrupt

5. Dell C-800 --Can't 'startx' while Docked

6. Problem with reading CD-ROM

7. Dude, where's my network?

8. cdrecord solaris 7 segmentation fault

9. Gettin' on the internet

10. gettin' X to work

11. Gettin' on the internet

12. Gettin' input in csh