Does Linux have snazzy FrontPage equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?

Post by Gary Halloc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Sorry to be a pain, but just curious, does  Linux have any FrontPage
> equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?  Now right off the
> bat, I want to delimit the conversation to the idealistic FrontPage, where
> no sloppy code is produced and no 'extentions' evil incompatibility plots
> exist--- if it actually works isn't fair game either.   I hear Nutscrape's
> equivalent has met with user frustration.  What is a GNU dude to do?
> Would it be the same for browsers, where for the moment one must violate
> anti-M$ morals if one wants to be not losing out to the user in the next
> carrel.  P.S. I know the anti-M$ website[s] lists equivalents for M$
> tools.

You could try WebSphere:

http://www-4.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/linux/index.html

It's not free, but there is a 60-day free trial version.

Gary

--
www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ?n|
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

Does Linux have snazzy FrontPage equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?

Post by pac4.. » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:06:10

Quote:> Sorry to be a pain, but just curious, does  Linux have any FrontPage
> equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?  Now right off the
> bat, I want to delimit the conversation to the idealistic FrontPage,
where
> no sloppy code is produced and no 'extentions' evil incompatibility
plots
> exist---

[snip]

I've been using /bin/vi and working out of Que Publishing's HTML 4.0
book.  I really don't know of any other way to absolutelly guarantee
your HTML isn't b0rken.  But we also have some special accessablilty
requirements we needed to meet, and none of the GUI composers we looked
at generated clean enough code that we could go back and fix, so we just
stuck with the dumb text editor.  Maximum control, but maximum pain.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Does Linux have snazzy FrontPage equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?

Post by Jan Ruitenbee » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:31:50

Hi,

Linux is an operating system in progress with many tastes. You have Debian,
Redhat, Suse, etc. Linux also has a wide range of windowmanagers (the
graphical interface, better known as GUI), like GNOME, KDE, FVWM2,
AFTERSTEP, etc. Each windowmanager has its own look and feel and its won
programs. There's no standard as in Windows. Maybe, at this moment, there
are no applications equal to Frontpage or Netscape Composer, but development
is on its way and , yes, there are programs to create webpages for the Linux
system.

If you are already using Linux, look out for StarOffice 5.2. It's a free
(yes  I mean it !!!) office suite (compatible with MSOffice 97 and 2000)
that allows you to create webpages  with frames, java, and all the nice
stuff you would like.

Conclusion: in some aspects, Linux might not be as far developped as you
would like, but new applications are are on their way. And now comes the
most important thing: most Linux appliations are free!!! You have to take a
look for yourself if you want to go on with Windows or just abandon Windows
and start with Linux.

Success with your choice!!!

Quote:> Sorry to be a pain, but just curious, does  Linux have any FrontPage
> equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?  Now right off the
> bat, I want to delimit the conversation to the idealistic FrontPage, where
> no sloppy code is produced and no 'extentions' evil incompatibility plots
> exist--- if it actually works isn't fair game either.   I hear Nutscrape's
> equivalent has met with user frustration.  What is a GNU dude to do?
> Would it be the same for browsers, where for the moment one must violate
> anti-M$ morals if one wants to be not losing out to the user in the next
> carrel.  P.S. I know the anti-M$ website[s] lists equivalents for M$
> tools.
> --
> www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ?n|
> Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780
> The Austin Powers of computing reading this on  comp.os.linux.advocacy

Does Linux have snazzy FrontPage equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?

Post by Chris Sherloc » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:41:36

Interesting! I'll be sure to have a look at this!

Chris

> > Sorry to be a pain, but just curious, does  Linux have any FrontPage
> > equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?  Now right off the
> > bat, I want to delimit the conversation to the idealistic FrontPage, where
> > no sloppy code is produced and no 'extentions' evil incompatibility plots
> > exist--- if it actually works isn't fair game either.   I hear Nutscrape's
> > equivalent has met with user frustration.  What is a GNU dude to do?
> > Would it be the same for browsers, where for the moment one must violate
> > anti-M$ morals if one wants to be not losing out to the user in the next
> > carrel.  P.S. I know the anti-M$ website[s] lists equivalents for M$
> > tools.

> You could try WebSphere:

> http://www-4.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/linux/index.html

> It's not free, but there is a 60-day free trial version.

> Gary

Does Linux have snazzy FrontPage equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?

Post by Ingemar Lundi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hey jan...i think the man just asked for a eq to frontpage....not a linux
preach ;-)

/IL

> Hi,

> Linux is an operating system in progress with many tastes. You have
Debian,
> Redhat, Suse, etc. Linux also has a wide range of windowmanagers (the
> graphical interface, better known as GUI), like GNOME, KDE, FVWM2,
> AFTERSTEP, etc. Each windowmanager has its own look and feel and its won
> programs. There's no standard as in Windows. Maybe, at this moment, there
> are no applications equal to Frontpage or Netscape Composer, but
development
> is on its way and , yes, there are programs to create webpages for the
Linux
> system.

> If you are already using Linux, look out for StarOffice 5.2. It's a free
> (yes  I mean it !!!) office suite (compatible with MSOffice 97 and 2000)
> that allows you to create webpages  with frames, java, and all the nice
> stuff you would like.

> Conclusion: in some aspects, Linux might not be as far developped as you
> would like, but new applications are are on their way. And now comes the
> most important thing: most Linux appliations are free!!! You have to take
> look for yourself if you want to go on with Windows or just abandon
Windows
> and start with Linux.

> Success with your choice!!!

> > Sorry to be a pain, but just curious, does  Linux have any FrontPage
> > equivalent for web page authoring and 'publishing'?  Now right off the
> > bat, I want to delimit the conversation to the idealistic FrontPage,
where
> > no sloppy code is produced and no 'extentions' evil incompatibility
plots
> > exist--- if it actually works isn't fair game either.   I hear
Nutscrape's
> > equivalent has met with user frustration.  What is a GNU dude to do?
> > Would it be the same for browsers, where for the moment one must violate
> > anti-M$ morals if one wants to be not losing out to the user in the next
> > carrel.  P.S. I know the anti-M$ website[s] lists equivalents for M$
> > tools.
> > --
> > www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ?n|
> > Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780
> > The Austin Powers of computing reading this on  comp.os.linux.advocacy

1. Frontpage 98 won't publish to Linux Server

I have a linux server (Redhat 5.2) with Apache.

The apache server is using software name virtual servers.

There is one big site in particular.

When you try to publish using frontpage 98 to the site, it times out
as reported by Frontpage.  I have increased the ftp timeout to -t 7200
with no sucess. the ftp daemon is the default one installed by redhat.
All other sites publish just fine, although all other sites are small
in comparison.

It is not my choice to use frontpage.

Thanks in Advance

Jose
Texas A&M University
Civil Engineering

2. YACC and LEX question

3. Can't access Linux web server web pages from LAN client

4. Monitor powersave and screen blanking modes

5. Linux's equivalent to FreeBSD's 'watch'

6. Looking for kermit

7. Which motherboard for a Cyrix+ - summary

8. Unix equivalent to DOS 'IF EXIST'

9. seeking linux equivalent to 'outportb' and 'inpw', please

10. linux equivalent to 'outportb' and 'inpw', please

11. Apache installation stops Frontpage from publishing webs

12. Front Page Extensions for Linux: How to get a fp web published?