I can't believe this!!

Post by Rene » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 06:40:21

I just found out that if you buy a computer form a company like Dell, Sony,
Compaq etc, the version of Windows (OEM) belongs to the computer and not to
the user!!! In other words, it is illegal for me to take my slow Dell
computer and install Linux on it and use the Windows OS that came with the
computer to install it into my speedy build it yourself computer!!! One more
reason to hate Microbullshit licence shit.

This is PURE BULL SHIT!!!!! How can they get away with this? Computer
manufactures should make this very clear when you buy your computer; there
would be a lot of disappointed people.

I can't believe this!!

Post by Anonymou » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 06:47:07

No it isn't.
You can move Windows from one machine to another
as long as you delete the copy of Windows from
the old machine.

The EULA allows you to transfer the license
from one machine to the other in this way.

> I just found out that if you buy a computer form a company like Dell, Sony,
> Compaq etc, the version of Windows (OEM) belongs to the computer and not to
> the user!!! In other words, it is illegal for me to take my slow Dell
> computer and install Linux on it and use the Windows OS that came with the
> computer to install it into my speedy build it yourself computer!!! One more
> reason to hate Microbullshit licence shit.

> This is PURE BULL SHIT!!!!! How can they get away with this? Computer
> manufactures should make this very clear when you buy your computer; there
> would be a lot of disappointed people.

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

I can't believe this!!

Post by Rene » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 07:27:37

Quote:> No it isn't.
> You can move Windows from one machine to another
> as long as you delete the copy of Windows from
> the old machine.

> The EULA allows you to transfer the license
> from one machine to the other in this way.

Well according to Dell you can't, at least not with one of their current
systems.

I can't believe this!!

Post by mjcr » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 07:55:52

> I just found out that if you buy a computer form a company like Dell,
> Sony, Compaq etc, the version of Windows (OEM) belongs to the computer
> and not to the user!!! In other words, it is illegal for me to take my
> slow Dell computer and install Linux on it and use the Windows OS that
> came with the computer to install it into my speedy build it yourself
> computer!!! One more reason to hate Microbullshit licence shit.

> This is PURE BULL SHIT!!!!! How can they get away with this? Computer
> manufactures should make this very clear when you buy your computer;
> there would be a lot of disappointed people.

This has been Microsoft mode of operations since that days of MS-Dos
before Windows was considerd by almost anyone as a viable platform for
anything.  That is a way that Microsoft can generate additional revenues,
by forcing you to purchase another copy of Windows when you already have
viable one, because they consider moving it to another machine as piracy.
That is a part of their predatory marketing by which they maintain their
monopoly.  It is well enough known in the industry and they get away with
it because.

I have seen this in action in the days of MS-Dos, a copy bundled with a
Leading Edge, or a Hewlett Packard, or a Compaq, or a NEC, etc; could not
be moved to another machine of another make.  Sometimes they could not
even be moved to another model or submodel of the same make of computer.

--
I run Linux, no *y RedHat, Debian, Slackware, or Corel, just Linux.
Linux accepted my new hardware without any effort on my part.

I can't believe this!!

Post by mjcr » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 07:55:47

> No it isn't.
> You can move Windows from one machine to another as long as you delete
> the copy of Windows from the old machine.

> The EULA allows you to transfer the license from one machine to the
> other in this way.

>> I just found out that if you buy a computer form a company like Dell,
>> Sony, Compaq etc, the version of Windows (OEM) belongs to the computer
>> and not to the user!!! In other words, it is illegal for me to take my
>> slow Dell computer and install Linux on it and use the Windows OS that
>> came with the computer to install it into my speedy build it yourself
>> computer!!! One more reason to hate Microbullshit licence shit.

>> This is PURE BULL SHIT!!!!! How can they get away with this? Computer
>> manufactures should make this very clear when you buy your computer;
>> there would be a lot of disappointed people.

I think Rene is talking about an OEM copy of Windows that is locked to a
certain make or model computer.

--

Post by John Saunder » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 08:33:04

> > I just found out that if you buy a computer form a company like Dell,
> > Sony, Compaq etc, the version of Windows (OEM) belongs to the computer
> > and not to the user!!! In other words, it is illegal for me to take my
> > slow Dell computer and install Linux on it and use the Windows OS that
> > came with the computer to install it into my speedy build it yourself
> > computer!!! One more reason to hate Microbullshit licence shit.

> > This is PURE BULL SHIT!!!!! How can they get away with this? Computer
> > manufactures should make this very clear when you buy your computer;
> > there would be a lot of disappointed people.

> This has been Microsoft mode of operations since that days of MS-Dos
> before Windows was considerd by almost anyone as a viable platform for
> anything.  That is a way that Microsoft can generate additional revenues,
> by forcing you to purchase another copy of Windows when you already have
> viable one, because they consider moving it to another machine as piracy.
> That is a part of their predatory marketing by which they maintain their
> monopoly.  It is well enough known in the industry and they get away with
> it because.

> I have seen this in action in the days of MS-Dos, a copy bundled with a
> Leading Edge, or a Hewlett Packard, or a Compaq, or a NEC, etc; could not
> be moved to another machine of another make.  Sometimes they could not
> even be moved to another model or submodel of the same make of computer.

In all fairness to Microsoft, Windows isn't the only piece of software
licensed per-machine. I'm such a good boy that I actually own four
PartitionMagic licenses - one for each machine I've needed to run it on -
and all of which I'm going to have to pay $50 to upgrade to PM 7.0 (groan)!
--
John Saunders

I can't believe this!!

Post by pookoopooko » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 08:04:04

Quote:> No it isn't.
> You can move Windows from one machine to another
> as long as you delete the copy of Windows from
> the old machine.

> The EULA allows you to transfer the license
> from one machine to the other in this way.

No, it isn't. If you could log on to oem.microsoft.com you'd know. The OEM
license is "married" to the machine and is non-transferable.

I can't believe this!!

Post by mlw » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 08:56:53

> In all fairness to Microsoft, Windows isn't the only piece of software
> licensed per-machine. I'm such a good boy that I actually own four
> PartitionMagic licenses - one for each machine I've needed to run it on -
> and all of which I'm going to have to pay $50 to upgrade to PM 7.0 (groan)!

There is a difference between "per machine" and "specific machine."

--
5-4-3-2-1 Thunderbirds are GO!
------------------------

I can't believe this!!

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 08:54:22

Quote:> I just found out that if you buy a computer form a company like Dell,
Sony,
> Compaq etc, the version of Windows (OEM) belongs to the computer and not
> the user!!! In other words, it is illegal for me to take my slow Dell
> computer and install Linux on it and use the Windows OS that came with the
> computer to install it into my speedy build it yourself computer!!! One
more
> reason to hate Microbullshit licence shit.

Yes, this is true.  But before you go off half-cocked, consider why.

MS sells Windows to your OEM for a very cheap price (In the case of Dell or
Compaq, probably $35) whereas the retail price is $209 ($189 street price).
In exchange for this lower price, you accept a few restrictions, including
licensing it for use only on the machine it shipped with.

Retail copies of Windows can be transfered to any computer you want, but
then you pay for that.

Quote:> This is PURE BULL SHIT!!!!! How can they get away with this? Computer
> manufactures should make this very clear when you buy your computer; there
> would be a lot of disappointed people.

Well, it says in the EULA, which you are forced to read when you boot up
your computer (and agree to).  If you don't like it, you can return the
machine to the OEM.

I can't believe this!!

That's only true with Retail copies, not OEM copies.

Post by John Saunder » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 09:09:48

> > In all fairness to Microsoft, Windows isn't the only piece of software
> > licensed per-machine. I'm such a good boy that I actually own four
> > PartitionMagic licenses - one for each machine I've needed to run it
on -
> > and all of which I'm going to have to pay $50 to upgrade to PM 7.0
(groan)!

> There is a difference between "per machine" and "specific machine."

True.
--
John Saunders

I can't believe this!!

Post by Rick » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 09:15:11

> > I just found out that if you buy a computer form a company like Dell,
> Sony,
> > Compaq etc, the version of Windows (OEM) belongs to the computer and not
> > the user!!! In other words, it is illegal for me to take my slow Dell
> > computer and install Linux on it and use the Windows OS that came with the
> > computer to install it into my speedy build it yourself computer!!! One
> more
> > reason to hate Microbullshit licence shit.

> Yes, this is true.  But before you go off half-cocked, consider why.

> MS sells Windows to your OEM for a very cheap price (In the case of Dell or
> Compaq, probably $35) whereas the retail price is $209 ($189 street price).
> In exchange for this lower price, you accept a few restrictions, including
> licensing it for use only on the machine it shipped with.

> Retail copies of Windows can be transfered to any computer you want, but
> then you pay for that.

> > This is PURE BULL SHIT!!!!! How can they get away with this? Computer
> > manufactures should make this very clear when you buy your computer; there
> > would be a lot of disappointed people.

> Well, it says in the EULA, which you are forced to read when you boot up
> your computer (and agree to).  If you don't like it, you can return the
> machine to the OEM.

And buy another one with the same license, then another one, then
another one, then another one.... how will you ever get one with a
license you can live with?
--
Rick

I can't believe this!!

Post by John Saunder » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 09:14:33

> > > I just found out that if you buy a computer form a company like Dell,
> > Sony,
> > > Compaq etc, the version of Windows (OEM) belongs to the computer and
not
> > > the user!!! In other words, it is illegal for me to take my slow Dell
> > > computer and install Linux on it and use the Windows OS that came with
the
> > > computer to install it into my speedy build it yourself computer!!!
One
> > more
> > > reason to hate Microbullshit licence shit.

> > Yes, this is true.  But before you go off half-cocked, consider why.

> > MS sells Windows to your OEM for a very cheap price (In the case of Dell
or
> > Compaq, probably $35) whereas the retail price is $209 ($189 street
price).
> > In exchange for this lower price, you accept a few restrictions,
including
> > licensing it for use only on the machine it shipped with.

> > Retail copies of Windows can be transfered to any computer you want, but
> > then you pay for that.

> > > This is PURE BULL SHIT!!!!! How can they get away with this? Computer
> > > manufactures should make this very clear when you buy your computer;
there
> > > would be a lot of disappointed people.

> > Well, it says in the EULA, which you are forced to read when you boot up
> > your computer (and agree to).  If you don't like it, you can return the
> > machine to the OEM.

> And buy another one with the same license, then another one, then
> another one, then another one.... how will you ever get one with a
> license you can live with?

Buy a retail copy. You can move it wherever you want (as long as it's only
on one computer at a time).
--
John Saunders

I can't believe this!!

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 09:15:46

> > > I just found out that if you buy a computer form a company like Dell,
> > Sony,
> > > Compaq etc, the version of Windows (OEM) belongs to the computer and
not
> > > the user!!! In other words, it is illegal for me to take my slow Dell
> > > computer and install Linux on it and use the Windows OS that came with
the
> > > computer to install it into my speedy build it yourself computer!!!
One
> > more
> > > reason to hate Microbullshit licence shit.

> > Yes, this is true.  But before you go off half-cocked, consider why.

> > MS sells Windows to your OEM for a very cheap price (In the case of Dell
or
> > Compaq, probably $35) whereas the retail price is $209 ($189 street
price).
> > In exchange for this lower price, you accept a few restrictions,
including
> > licensing it for use only on the machine it shipped with.

> > Retail copies of Windows can be transfered to any computer you want, but
> > then you pay for that.

> > > This is PURE BULL SHIT!!!!! How can they get away with this? Computer
> > > manufactures should make this very clear when you buy your computer;
there
> > > would be a lot of disappointed people.

> > Well, it says in the EULA, which you are forced to read when you boot up
> > your computer (and agree to).  If you don't like it, you can return the
> > machine to the OEM.

> And buy another one with the same license, then another one, then
> another one, then another one.... how will you ever get one with a
> license you can live with?

Well, you could go to a custom shop and have them build you a PC with a
retail copy of Windows.

I can't believe this!!

Post by Collie Entragio » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 09:29:24

>> Well, it says in the EULA, which you are forced to read when you boot up
>> your computer (and agree to).  If you don't like it, you can return the
>> machine to the OEM.

>And buy another one with the same license, then another one, then
>another one, then another one.... how will you ever get one with a
>license you can live with?

a) Buy a machine without an OS and buy a copy of Windows
b) Buy a machine that doesn't come with Windows or any other OS who's
EULA you do not agree with.

What's the point in agreeing to terms and then *ing about it? If
you don't like it, don't use it. Simple as that.

http://www.veryComputer.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. GCC problems with getc or fgetc!

3. favicon.ico in linux

4. X11: Can't believe I'm the only one...

5. USB diagnosis

6. I can't believe I've forgotten....

7. debian setup

8. Can't believe someone hasn't seen this!

9. I can't believe that I'm having this much trouble with Linux

10. Microsoft doesn't believe in Sun's J2EE, computerWORLD.com.au

11. Not enough memory (I don't believe it)

12. I can't believe how big this troll thread has gotten...