"NT IS NOT AN ENTERPRISE ENVIRONMENT" but OS/2 Warp Server is (was :Re: "NT IS NOT AN ENTERPRISE ENVIRONMENT"- Microsoft and HP: Beyond the Hype)

"NT IS NOT AN ENTERPRISE ENVIRONMENT" but OS/2 Warp Server is (was :Re: "NT IS NOT AN ENTERPRISE ENVIRONMENT"- Microsoft and HP: Beyond the Hype)

Post by markj0 » Sun, 11 May 1997 04:00:00

Doug,

Forget uptime...try word-wrap.

1. "NT IS NOT AN ENTERPRISE ENVIRONMENT"- Microsoft and HP: Beyond the Hype

: >Microsoft is doing a "good enough" job at bundling the right things out of
: >the box, with 3rd party availability of the other pieces, and is completing
: >a puzzle that the Unix people are just too damn arrogant to complete.  For
: >example, the small server market - it's easy to get NT to talk to Macs, PCs,
: >and Unix boxes "fairly reliably".
:
: But never securely.  NT-based networks are a house of cards, and many of
: them are going to start falling by the end of this year.

        Hmm.. I don't know what versions of UNIX aren't supposed to be
able to talk to PCs, other Unix boxes, and Macs.. but my little Linux PC
does that quite easily out of the box.. (granted, you have to configure it
but all the programs and daemons are there)

 :
: >It can do 2 out of 3 out of the box, and
: > there are at least 3 vendors that sell good NFS servers for NT.  Unix?
: >There are no reliable solutions to that problem.  The LanManager and AFP
: >servers are flakey junk, and don't solve the locking problem.

        Apparently you've never heard of Samba?

: >Technology doesn't win.
:
: Well, what do you mean by "win?"  I'll agree that the dreck has always
: outsold the better systems, but there are examples of technology that
: was good enough that a single vertical-market app has brought the platform
: back from the dead (amiga, video toaster.)

        Technology is ALL that matters IMHO.. marketing glitz comes a
distant 45th.  Home cooking that had a lot of effort and heart put into it
will always taste better than the frozen foods mass produced by the MS's
of the food industry. ;)  Likewise I'll be savouring Linux long after NT
has produced a sour taste in the mouths of the mind numbed lusers.

: >Solaris will only survive if they can replace CDE with something
: >half-decent.  All other Unix derivatives will be gone in 8 years.)
:
: This I doubt.  I think that we'll see more convergence between the BSD's
: and Mach, but I do expect BSDI to stay in business.  HP and Dec will probably
: end up as Microsquish OEMs, but there's still a lot of life left in
: UNIX.

        HP and Dec aren't stupid.. and neither is SGI.. they know where
they make their money when it comes to high performing servers.. I can't
imagine how horrible life would become the day an SGI booted into Win NT.
:-(  <ick>

--
--------------------------

Blinky lights are the essence of technology!
Caffeine underflow (brain dumped)

2. Setting shadow password: login error

3. Boot Linux from SCSI (with OS/2 boot manager)

4. strange output of "who am I" & "last" on solaris 9

5. Secure network-backup via nfs?

6. strange output of "who am i" & "last" in Solaris 9

7. Free webspace allows CGI...?

8. DIP Problem: Am I "slipping" or not?

9. I am not "Shawn"

10. Q: Why am I getting "Sorry - PPP is not available on this system"?????

11. ncurse says "this terminal does not support color", I am using color xterm!

12. DIP Problem: Am I "slipping" or not?