From people who know finance and "value"

Post by cybea » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 02:19:07

The downturn in the economy is helping Linux as more and more people start
looking to get more "value" for their money.

http://cin.earthweb.com/article/1,3555,10493_1408471,00.html

From people who know finance and "value"

Post by GeneralP » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:28:52

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:19:07 GMT, cybear assert()ed:

Quote:

> The downturn in the economy is helping Linux as more and more people start
> looking to get more "value" for their money.

> http://cin.earthweb.com/article/1,3555,10493_1408471,00.html

That's awesome.  Companies who spend less on Microsoft licenses can then
a) spend it on licences for more software that isn't free
b) hire more staff

The companies that benefit from a) can hire more staff too, then,
and all the unemployed Microsofties will find jobs, and that $40 billion
in cash will be spread out over the entire economy.

Seriously, though, wouldn't the IT market do better if all that money
was spread out?

From people who know finance and "value"

Post by Roy Cull » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:09:36

Quote:

> The downturn in the economy is helping Linux as more and more people start
> looking to get more "value" for their money.

> http://cin.earthweb.com/article/1,3555,10493_1408471,00.html

Wow, what an article. How are the wintrolls going to counter this one?
They can't. Come on EF tell us why MS can't get a look in these days?

I keep saying it but all Linux news is good news these days. All MS
news is bad news. Why is that? :-)

From people who know finance and "value"

Post by Paul Robso » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 12:55:13

> The companies that benefit from a) can hire more staff too, then,
> and all the unemployed Microsofties will find jobs

My local McDonalds has vacancies.

From people who know finance and "value"

Post by GeneralP » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 15:02:55

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:55:13 +0100, Paul Robson assert()ed:

>> The companies that benefit from a) can hire more staff too, then,
>> and all the unemployed Microsofties will find jobs

> My local McDonalds has vacancies.

I doubt many Microsoft programmers would meet McDonald's standards
for product quality.

Thanks for the thought though.

From people who know finance and "value"

Post by Simon Cook » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 10:39:59

>> The companies that benefit from a) can hire more staff too, then,
>> and all the unemployed Microsofties will find jobs

> My local McDonalds has vacancies.

Are you sure you'd want a Microsoftie working on the same shift as you?

Simon

From people who know finance and "value"

Post by Paul Robso » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:13:11

>> My local McDonalds has vacancies.

> Are you sure you'd want a Microsoftie working on the same shift as you?

I'm only cleaning the lavatories, a Microsoftie would have to work a couple
of years to acquire those skills and iteleckt.

From people who know finance and "value"

Post by Sinister Midge » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:34:12

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 03:39:59 -0500, Simon Cooke claimed:

>>> The companies that benefit from a) can hire more staff too, then,
>>> and all the unemployed Microsofties will find jobs

>> My local McDonalds has vacancies.

> Are you sure you'd want a Microsoftie working on the same shift as you?

Yeah. He probably forgot that McDonalds doesn't deliver.

Quote:> Simon

Sinister

--
Windows: 5,000,000 alpha-testers, and growing!

1. Using "if" in "ksh" to change "for loop" values....

Hello,

I have a script that contains this(shown below).  My problem is how do I
change
the values in the "for loop" statement? I tried doing another "if"
statement
but unluckilly I was unsuccessful. Needs some help.

Thanks in advance.

albertus:)

A part of my script.
####
if [[ $1 == "file1" && $2 == "name1" && $# == 2 ]]
then
  some commands.

  var=`commands`

  #If var=A, then my for loop will be "for i in 1 2 3"
  #If var=B, then my for loop will be "for i in 1 2 3 4 5"
  #If var=C, then my for loop will be "for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
  #and so on...  I need to do this with "only one"
  #"for loop" statement.  Any ideas....

  for i in ???
  do
     some commands
  done

else
  some commands...
fi
###

2. Installation with not enough inodes

4. Setup the DNS ???

5. the WinTroll formerly known as "Taylor" is now known as "GERRI"

6. non-root install of Window Maker on Solaris box

7. The schizophrenic formerly known as "GERRI" is now known as "Depardeau"

8. HELP: Writing a module/driver in Solaris 2.6

9. The schizophrenic formerly known as "GERRI" is now known as "HHippo"

11. Anyone know "Workstation 2000" people?

12. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...