FTP problems with Linux 6.0

Post by jjcju.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have recently replaced a fileserver running SCO-
Unix with a server running redhat 6.0. I use FTP
to transfer files to it using various other PC's.
Everything works as with the previous server,
until I overwrite files on the Linux server with
file extensions in uppercase characters.(eg;
Myfile.AAA) The server appears to convert the
file extensions to lowercase(myfile.aaa) thus
leaving me with two independent files and not one
updated file. Does anyone know if I can prevent
this conversion taking place?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

FTP problems with Linux 6.0

Post by [radiant matri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I have recently replaced a fileserver running SCO-
: Unix with a server running redhat 6.0. I use FTP
: to transfer files to it using various other PC's.
: Everything works as with the previous server,
: until I overwrite files on the Linux server with
: file extensions in uppercase characters.(eg;
: Myfile.AAA) The server appears to convert the
: file extensions to lowercase(myfile.aaa) thus
: leaving me with two independent files and not one
: updated file. Does anyone know if I can prevent
: this conversion taking place?

This is usually a setting in your FTP client software.  I suggest you start
with that documentation.  Other than that, check the docs for your ftp
server.  IIRC, RedHat 6.x uses proftpd by default.

And just a clarification on your subject line:  RedHat is just one of the
Linux distros, and therefore not Linux 6.0.  Linux refers to distributions
in general, or to the Linux kernel.

The current version of the kernel is 2.2.13 (stable).

I make this point because some distros have version numbers like Debian 2.1,
and the conclusion may come to some that it is an old Linux distro, where it
is actually quite recent.

:

--
.:[ radiant matrix ]:............................
. Company policy requires me to withold my name .

FTP problems with Linux 6.0

Post by Grega Brem » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:17:15 GMT,

had somehow managed to commit the following:

Quote:>I have recently replaced a fileserver running SCO-
>Unix with a server running redhat 6.0. I use FTP
>to transfer files to it using various other PC's.
>Everything works as with the previous server,
>until I overwrite files on the Linux server with
>file extensions in uppercase characters.(eg;
>Myfile.AAA) The server appears to convert the
>file extensions to lowercase(myfile.aaa) thus
>leaving me with two independent files and not one
>updated file. Does anyone know if I can prevent
>this conversion taking place?

If you're using the anonymous account (I suppose that, because you
didn't specify any login specifics), it could be that either your
ftpconversions(5) contains a redundant rule, your pathfilter is
somehow incorrect (that's usually in ftpaccess(5)), or your client
software is having problems with that particular ftp server (I don't
know if it's either Wu-FTPd or the one RadiantMatrix mentioned).

Both configuration files have manpages in their respective sections,
but checking out ftpd(8) wouldn't hurt as well.

And, yes, it would be nice if people didn't confuse distributions with
kernels all the time.

Good luck,

--
    Grega Bremec

    http://gbsoftware.webjump.com/

FTP problems with Linux 6.0

Post by Bone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> [snip]... server running redhat 6.0. I use FTP to transfer files to it

using various other PC's. Everything works as with the previous server,
until I overwrite files on the Linux server with file extensions in
uppercase characters.(eg; Myfile.AAA) The server appears to convert the file
extensions to lowercase(myfile.aaa) thus leaving me with two independent
files and not one updated file. Does anyone know if I can prevent this
conversion taking place?

Well, I don't have a RedHat machine in front of me to test this, so I can't
check to see if there is something different in the RH ftpd that causes this,
but I can say that the ftpd that ships with Slackware doesn't change case in
filenames, and even if it did, such an option isn't documented anywhere, and
not set in any of the ftpd config files. It wouldn't make sense anyway,
since Unix, and therefore Linux, is case-sensitive, and developers know to
stay away from things that would cause such confusion.

Just for laughs, take a look at the setup options of the FTP client that you
are using, as I have a strong suspicion that the client is doing this. I
quickly tested the situation you described on my machine using the plain-old
command-line-interface ftp client, and I had no such trouble.

You probably know this already, but the standard place for the ftpd
configuration files is in /etc (ftpaccess, ftpusers,ftpgroups...)

Good luck.

----
Bones

1. RH 6.0 FTP Install problem

Hia-

Trying to install RH 6.0 via FTP.  I keep getting the error:

"Unable to retrieve the second stage
ramdisk: Bad Server Response"

However, I know the server is specified correctly and that it is anonymous.
So that leaves the directory problem.  For example, I tried the following
parameters:

ftp.cdrom.com
/pub/linux/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386

as well as:

ftp.cdrom.com
/pub/linux/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/

among other variations.  All times it tries to download stage2.img and
returns the above error.  It does this for every ftp server I try.  Any
ideas?

Thanks-
-capt.

2. Server side scripting questionnaire

3. ftp problem Redhat 6.0

4. SMTP-Proxy

5. telnet/ftp problems - RH 6.0

6. Problem with console/term/...???

7. problems with FTP on RH 6.0!

8. ppp doesn′t obtain DNS servers address?!?!

9. RH 6.0 ftp-install problem

10. FTP and Telnet Problem in Redhat 6.0

11. how to burn ftp image of SuSE Linux 6.0 on CD's?

12. delayed telnet or FTP from Windows98 box to red hat linux 6.0

13. Trouble uploading not very large files to FTP server running on Redhat 6.0 linux box