OpenOffice.org came through again

Post by Damon Rile » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:38:04

Open Office just keeps coming through for me.  I know this isn't a Linux
program per se, but I use it under Linux and it's one of the reasons I
can remain a Linux user.

The first time was when I needed to convert the minutes of a volunteer
organization into pdf format for our website.  Although it wasn't
obvious how to accomplish this task, with some USENET help I discovered
that if you start the printer administration program you can set it up
for pdf print-to-file.  Great!  I didn't have to get a new program--the
one that came with Linux could already do it for me.

The second time was yesterday when I needed a way to use mathematical
symbols (for union, intersection and subset, etc) for a class I am
taking.  I looked for math in the OpenOffice help and found little of
use.  Using the Special Character seemed to take about six clicks to get
to the symbol I needed, and then I had to drill down again for the
second symbol. this was a pain.  Since the class was offered online
only, I was worried that I'd be reduced to drawing things out (with a
pen) and scanning so I could hand in assignments.  After a lot of
digging in Freshmeat I found "Math Planner 3."  This program outputs
files in something called .mpl format, or something similiar.  I
couldn't paste from MathPlanner3 to OpenOffice so I started looking for
a way to insert the .mpl file.  That's when I discovered the Insert >>
Object >> Formula in Open Office.  It had literally dozens of
mathematical symbols and it allows you to write the formula from the
keyboard and have it appear in the text.  Awesome.

It's true that in both instances OpenOffice was unable to explain it's
own capabilities in a way that I could understand.  In both cases I
found the way to get work done either from someone else or by attempting
a work around and not from the Help in OO.  But at the end of the day, I
am still able to get my work done without going to an un-Free solution.
  Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to make that possible!

Post by Spam Me » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 15:37:28

> Open Office just keeps coming through for me.  I know this isn't a Linux
> program per se, but I use it under Linux and it's one of the reasons I
> can remain a Linux user.

[snip]
> The second time was yesterday when I needed a way to use mathematical
> symbols (for union, intersection and subset, etc) for a class I am
> taking.  I looked for math in the OpenOffice help and found little of

How about OpenOffice Math - a separate word processor utility DESIGNED
for editing Math formula ???
Did you overlook that or don't know it exists ?

There is also KFormula on KDE for math formula editing.

--
Freedom: In a world without fences there is NO NEED for Gates!

Post by Damon Rile » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:45:38

>>Open Office just keeps coming through for me.  I know this isn't a Linux
>>program per se, but I use it under Linux and it's one of the reasons I
>>can remain a Linux user.

> [snip]

>>The second time was yesterday when I needed a way to use mathematical
>>symbols (for union, intersection and subset, etc) for a class I am
>>taking.  I looked for math in the OpenOffice help and found little of

> How about OpenOffice Math - a separate word processor utility DESIGNED
> for editing Math formula ???
> Did you overlook that or don't know it exists ?

> There is also KFormula on KDE for math formula editing.

I was unaware of OpenOffice Math--I didn't know it existed.

Post by Peter Jense » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 21:29:20

>> The second time was yesterday when I needed a way to use mathematical
>> symbols (for union, intersection and subset, etc) for a class I am
>> taking.  I looked for math in the OpenOffice help and found little of

> How about OpenOffice Math - a separate word processor utility DESIGNED
> for editing Math formula ???
> Did you overlook that or don't know it exists ?

> There is also KFormula on KDE for math formula editing.

And let's not forget the ultimate tool for writing documents with lots
of formula: LaTeX! It takes a bit of getting used to, but the results
are awesome. Here's an introduction:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/lshort.pdf

--
PeKaJe

Is a computer language with goto's totally Wirth-less?

1. openOffice.org announces openOffice.org 1.0

"May 1, 2002 - The OpenOffice.org community today
announced the availability of OpenOffice.org 1.0,
the open source, multi-platform, multi-lingual office
productivity suite available as a free download at
the OpenOffice.org community website. OpenOffice.org
1.0 is the culmination of more than 18 months of
collaborative effort by members of the OpenOffice.org
community, which is comprised of Sun employees, volunteer
developers, marketers, and end users working to create
an international office suite that will run on all major
platforms."

http://www.openoffice.org/
(if it's not busy, that is)

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
+==================================

2. Hiding user processes. Edit kernel, libkvm?

3. Creating databases with OpenOffice.org and StarOffice

4. image join software for hand scanning

5. connect timeout to openoffice.org

6. newbie: copy files until size limit reached

7. OpenOffice.org vs Word

8. .taz vs. .tpz vs. .tgz

9. "So What's this OpenOffice.org thing?"

10. OpenOffice.org availability

11. OpenOffice.org sol x86 binaries out now

12. openoffice.org data source crash

13. Openoffice.org performance improvement?