How to set 2 computers see each other (by use Linux)

How to set 2 computers see each other (by use Linux)

Post by Pakorn Pan-ajchari » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello everyone
        Today I install Linux to 2 computers. Then I use "ping" command from my
computer to find my friend's computer(He sit beside me) but it doesn't work.
Then I use "telnet" command to telnet to my friend's computer again. It doesn't work too. What should I do? Our computers use PC P100 attach to the same hub
use UTP cable. Please help me. :(
                                                        Thanks you

Post by Nathan Han » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hello everyone
>         Today I install Linux to 2 computers. Then I use "ping" command from my
> computer to find my friend's computer(He sit beside me) but it doesn't work.
> Then I use "telnet" command to telnet to my friend's computer again. It doesn't
> work too. What should I do? Our computers use PC P100 attach to the same hub
> use UTP cable. Please help me. :(
>                                                         Thanks you

Okie doke.

Start with "ifconfig -a" and make sure that your ethernet card
appears (an entry with eth0 somewhere in it). The display should
have information about the "inet addr", the "mask" and the MAC
(i.e the hardware address). Check the interrupt and base address
reported here against the hardware settings for your netcard.

If all this works OK then start on the routing table. Enter the
command "netstat -rn" and look for the eth0 entry. It should look
something like:

        Destination     .....    Interface
        123.12.1.0               eth0

(assuming your inet addr was something like 123.12.1.56). If you
have all this then everything is dandy on the linux side and your
friend's machine is screwed (or there's something subtler here I
haven't thought of). Make sure both machines have the same subnet
(the first three numbers) and both netmasks are 255.255.255.0.

If any of these things have failed (ie eth0 didn't appear in the
ifconfig or your routing table wasn't correct) then e-mail me back
and I'll give you the instructions to set both up. You can stick
the commands into /etc/rc.d/rc.local when you have got them right.

Your problem may be that you didn't compile the driver into the
kernel (or didn't install a pre-compiled module for your card). If
you want to solve the problem yourself your best bet is to read
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO and /usr/doc/HOWTO/NET-2-HOWTO. They
both contain a wealth of information on netstat and ifconfig.

PS: best group for these questions is comp.os.linux.networking and
comp.os.linux.setup.

--
Open mind for a different view, and nothing else matters.

1. How can I set a Linux computer to be seen on a NT domain without DNS ?

Good afternoon,

First I would like to apologize for my lack of knowledge in
networking.

My problem is the following:

I want computers with NT installed to be able to access a Linux
station by a computer name (ex. "ping linux_station") without adding
an entry on our DNS server, but with adding it to the NT domain.

Is this possible ?
Do I need a special software ?

Thanks,
 xav.

2. A strange kind of file

3. Stop others from using your computer!!! 8570

4. smpatch: Reason code :0

5. Stop others from using your computer!!! 6635

6. shared libraries - since when

7. Stop others from using your computer!!! 8632

8. Couple o' buggers..

9. Stop others from using your computer!!! 5120

10. Stop others from using your computer!!! 4332

11. seeing the windows partition from Redhat 7.1, C: works, but not others

12. Setting up an FTP with a browser between two computers using IP address

13. Learn linux using RedHat or others like mandrake or suse?