Microsoft hit by dot.com fallout

Post by Bigb » Thu, 02 May 2002 13:29:20

> The latest Netcraft survey is out, and Microsoft's IIS site numbers were
> hit by a hosting site going to a pay model from a free service model.
> Consequently, Apache's numbers rise.  Of course, nothing much is to be
> implied from this, due to volatility in the web hosting market.

>    Microsoft drop back a couple of percentage points this month,
>    primarily attributable to the reaping of around a million expired
>    sites at [1]homestead.com. Homestead used to offer limited free
>    hosting supported by advertising, but has revised its business model,
>    announcing on April 15th that it is migrating to a traditional paid-for
>    services model.            -- http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

> 1. http://www.homestead.com/

I've always liked the "Longest Uptimes" portion of the site.  FreeBSD with
Apache dominates it.  I like seeing Linux in about 2 of the top 50 spots.  MS
is in none.

Bigby
--
 12:28am  up  8:06,  3 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.15, 0.12

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Thu, 02 May 2002 16:43:43

>> The latest Netcraft survey is out, and Microsoft's IIS site numbers
>> were hit by a hosting site going to a pay model from a free service
>> model. Consequently, Apache's numbers rise.  Of course, nothing much
>> is to be implied from this, due to volatility in the web hosting
>> market.

>>    Microsoft drop back a couple of percentage points this month,
>>    primarily attributable to the reaping of around a million expired
>>    sites at [1]homestead.com. Homestead used to offer limited free
>>    hosting supported by advertising, but has revised its business
>> model,    announcing on April 15th that it is migrating to a
>> traditional paid-for    services model.            --
>> http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

>> 1. http://www.homestead.com/

> I've always liked the "Longest Uptimes" portion of the site.  FreeBSD
> with Apache dominates it.  I like seeing Linux in about 2 of the top
> 50 spots.  MS is in none.

Linux isn't in any of the top 50.  I did notice a while back that a linux
box was in the list, but if you looked at the site history, it was clear
that the site had just switched to Linux from something else and the average
had not yet leveled out, so it still appeared in the top 50 (which is sorted
by average uptime, not highest uptime).

Post by Roy Cull » Thu, 02 May 2002 19:07:05

>>> The latest Netcraft survey is out, and Microsoft's IIS site numbers
>>> were hit by a hosting site going to a pay model from a free service
>>> model. Consequently, Apache's numbers rise.  Of course, nothing much
>>> is to be implied from this, due to volatility in the web hosting
>>> market.

>>>    Microsoft drop back a couple of percentage points this month,
>>>    primarily attributable to the reaping of around a million expired
>>>    sites at [1]homestead.com. Homestead used to offer limited free
>>>    hosting supported by advertising, but has revised its business
>>> model,    announcing on April 15th that it is migrating to a
>>> traditional paid-for    services model.            --
>>> http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

>>> 1. http://www.homestead.com/

>> I've always liked the "Longest Uptimes" portion of the site.  FreeBSD
>> with Apache dominates it.  I like seeing Linux in about 2 of the top
>> 50 spots.  MS is in none.

> Linux isn't in any of the top 50.  I did notice a while back that a linux
> box was in the list, but if you looked at the site history, it was clear
> that the site had just switched to Linux from something else and the average
> had not yet leveled out, so it still appeared in the top 50 (which is sorted
> by average uptime, not highest uptime).

I've just check the 'Sites with longest running systems by maximum
uptime in the last 7 days' and there are 4 linux systems and one
MS.

Microsoft hit by dot.com fallout

Post by mjt » Fri, 03 May 2002 00:01:06

[snip]

Quote:>> Linux isn't in any of the top 50.  I did notice a while back that a linux
>> box was in the list, but if you looked at the site history, it was clear
>> that the site had just switched to Linux from something else and the average
>> had not yet leveled out, so it still appeared in the top 50 (which is sorted
>> by average uptime, not highest uptime).

> I've just check the 'Sites with longest running systems by maximum
> uptime in the last 7 days' and there are 4 linux systems
> and one > MS.

is it still up ?!??!  hehehehe

--
+==================================
+==================================

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Fri, 03 May 2002 03:23:47

>>> I've always liked the "Longest Uptimes" portion of the site.
>>> FreeBSD with Apache dominates it.  I like seeing Linux in about 2
>>> of the top 50 spots.  MS is in none.

>> Linux isn't in any of the top 50.  I did notice a while back that a
>> linux box was in the list, but if you looked at the site history, it
>> was clear that the site had just switched to Linux from something
>> else and the average had not yet leveled out, so it still appeared
>> in the top 50 (which is sorted by average uptime, not highest
>> uptime).

> I've just check the 'Sites with longest running systems by maximum
> uptime in the last 7 days' and there are 4 linux systems and one
> MS.

You mean like this one?

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.amorpsyche.com

As you can see by the history, they switched from IRIX about a month ago.

Or this one?

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.charite.de

Was on Irix until about 6 months ago.

Or this one?

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.svepro.se

Was on BSD and Solaris until a few months ago.

Or this one?

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=cne.pub.ro

Which was on BSD until about a year ago (and hasn't been able to keep a
steady uptime since switching to Linux).

Post by GreyClou » Fri, 03 May 2002 05:11:27

> >> Linux isn't in any of the top 50.  I did notice a while back that a
> >> linux box was in the list, but if you looked at the site history, it
> >> was clear that the site had just switched to Linux from something
> >> else and the average had not yet leveled out, so it still appeared
> >> in the top 50 (which is sorted by average uptime, not highest
> >> uptime).

> > I've just check the 'Sites with longest running systems by maximum
> > uptime in the last 7 days' and there are 4 linux systems and one
> > MS.

> You mean like this one?

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.amorpsyche.com

> As you can see by the history, they switched from IRIX about a month ago.

> Or this one?

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.charite.de

> Was on Irix until about 6 months ago.

> Or this one?

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.svepro.se

> Was on BSD and Solaris until a few months ago.

> Or this one?

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=cne.pub.ro

> Which was on BSD until about a year ago (and hasn't been able to keep a
> steady uptime since switching to Linux).

I think netcraft still has its' own issues on reporting
accuracy.  They don't even get tscnet.com correctly
identified.  I even called up the owner and he said they
have always used linux and nothing but linux in their ISP
house.  So much for the accuracy of Netcraft.

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Fri, 03 May 2002 08:40:26

> > > I've just check the 'Sites with longest running systems by maximum
> > > uptime in the last 7 days' and there are 4 linux systems and one
> > > MS.

> > You mean like this one?

> > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.amorpsyche.com

> > As you can see by the history, they switched from IRIX about a month
ago.

> > Or this one?

> > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.charite.de

> > Was on Irix until about 6 months ago.

> > Or this one?

> > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.svepro.se

> > Was on BSD and Solaris until a few months ago.

> > Or this one?

> > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=cne.pub.ro

> > Which was on BSD until about a year ago (and hasn't been able to keep a
> > steady uptime since switching to Linux).

> I think netcraft still has its' own issues on reporting
> accuracy.  They don't even get tscnet.com correctly
> identified.  I even called up the owner and he said they
> have always used linux and nothing but linux in their ISP
> house.  So much for the accuracy of Netcraft.

I've told you several times, tscnet *IS* correctly identified.  It says
Linux right in there.  Netcraft can't control what the header string
returns, that's the servers job.

Post by <GreyCloud>cumulu » Fri, 03 May 2002 09:57:31

> > > You mean like this one?

> > > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.amorpsyche.com

> > > As you can see by the history, they switched from IRIX about a month
> ago.

> > > Or this one?

> > > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.charite.de

> > > Was on Irix until about 6 months ago.

> > > Or this one?

> > > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.svepro.se

> > > Was on BSD and Solaris until a few months ago.

> > > Or this one?

> > > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=cne.pub.ro

> > > Which was on BSD until about a year ago (and hasn't been able to keep a
> > > steady uptime since switching to Linux).

> > I think netcraft still has its' own issues on reporting
> > accuracy.  They don't even get tscnet.com correctly
> > identified.  I even called up the owner and he said they
> > have always used linux and nothing but linux in their ISP
> > house.  So much for the accuracy of Netcraft.

> I've told you several times, tscnet *IS* correctly identified.  It says
> Linux right in there.  Netcraft can't control what the header string
> returns, that's the servers job.

That wasn't what you said before... netcraft called it UNIX/Apache... it's
Linux/Apache.
Linux isn't UNIX.  Now go pound a nail in your head with a note that says Linux
is not UNIX.

Post by Roy Cull » Sun, 05 May 2002 10:36:18

>> I think netcraft still has its' own issues on reporting
>> accuracy.  They don't even get tscnet.com correctly
>> identified.  I even called up the owner and he said they
>> have always used linux and nothing but linux in their ISP
>> house.  So much for the accuracy of Netcraft.

> I've told you several times, tscnet *IS* correctly identified.  It says
> Linux right in there.  Netcraft can't control what the header string
> returns, that's the servers job.

What about this one:

    The site www.natelskyline.ch is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Linux.

Didn't know MS had ported IIS to Linux. :-)

Post by GreyClou » Sun, 05 May 2002 15:31:57

> >> I think netcraft still has its' own issues on reporting
> >> accuracy.  They don't even get tscnet.com correctly
> >> identified.  I even called up the owner and he said they
> >> have always used linux and nothing but linux in their ISP
> >> house.  So much for the accuracy of Netcraft.

> > I've told you several times, tscnet *IS* correctly identified.  It says
> > Linux right in there.  Netcraft can't control what the header string
> > returns, that's the servers job.

> What about this one:

>     The site www.natelskyline.ch is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Linux.

> Didn't know MS had ported IIS to Linux. :-)

Yep!  Netcraft is really accurate isn't it.  Ol Ewic will
claim some excuse for the errors now.

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Mon, 06 May 2002 01:24:22

>>> I think netcraft still has its' own issues on reporting
>>> accuracy.  They don't even get tscnet.com correctly
>>> identified.  I even called up the owner and he said they
>>> have always used linux and nothing but linux in their ISP
>>> house.  So much for the accuracy of Netcraft.

>> I've told you several times, tscnet *IS* correctly identified.  It
>> says Linux right in there.  Netcraft can't control what the header
>> string returns, that's the servers job.

> What about this one:

>     The site www.natelskyline.ch is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on
> Linux.

> Didn't know MS had ported IIS to Linux. :-)

Once again, someone probably set their server string to that.

Or, it could be behind a Linux firewall.

Post by Roy Cull » Mon, 06 May 2002 07:07:33

>>> I've told you several times, tscnet *IS* correctly identified.  It
>>> says Linux right in there.  Netcraft can't control what the header
>>> string returns, that's the servers job.

>> What about this one:

>>     The site www.natelskyline.ch is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on
>> Linux.

>> Didn't know MS had ported IIS to Linux. :-)

> Once again, someone probably set their server string to that.

> Or, it could be behind a Linux firewall.

Close EF but you don't get the cigar. The web server is behind a Linux
reverse proxy. It's bad enough having IIS web servers. The least we
can do is block direct access to them.

Post by Mike » Mon, 06 May 2002 08:19:55

>> What about this one:
>> The site www.natelskyline.ch is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Linux.
>> Didn't know MS had ported IIS to Linux. :-)
> Once again, someone probably set their server string to that.

Nope.

Quote:> Or, it could be behind a Linux firewall.

Possibly.
--
Mike.                                      (remove "-spam" to mail me)

1. Microsoft uses non-compete clause to stifle home networking innovation, news.COM.com

http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-1015223.html
Microsoft stalls software maker
David Becker,  June 10 2003
---

Lawyers representing the software giant sent a cease-and-desist letter
last week to Esiod Systems, a small, Monroe, Wash.-based software
company formed early this year by former Microsoft developers Siddhartha
Rao and Caleb Doise. The letter demands that the company halt planned
distribution of Schnazzle, an inexpensive shareware application Esiod
had planned to begin selling this week.

---

The Microsoft letter says Schnazzle competes with a planned extension to
the Windows operating system that would allow PCs to wirelessly stream
media files to other devices.

A Microsoft representative confirmed the letter and said the company is
negotiating with Esiod. "We're working with them to protect our
intellectual property rights," the representative said.
-------

2. Video Card Driver Resources

3. Microsoft's connection to SCO anti-Linux campaign -- NEWS.COM.com

4. make UML to compile in 2.5 bk-curr

5. Microsoft to offer antivirus systems, news.COM.com

6. C on Solaris

7. Microsoft bundles Operating System with IE NEWS.COM.com

8. Questions about w and ps

9. Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM

10. dot mysterious permission problem dot dot

11. dot and dot-dot files

12. OT: StarOffice Hits Number One on Amazon.com's Business And Office Software Sales Charts

13. Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?