Is MS paying someone here?

Post by leere.. » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I keep seeing posts about how linux is dead, or linux is dying or
failing.  Where does this *come from?  Are MS spies among us,
spreading rumors and outright lies?  Linux is growing.  The only place it
will probably never become popular is among the brain dead point and
drool crowd.  But among those of us who are not lame and stupid it is
very popular indeed.  It is far more fitting to judge something by what
kind of people use it than by just how many.  Baywatch is popular show,
but there are far better shows on TV with smaller audiences of the more
intelligent viewers.  Linux will never die unless something better comes
along.  It can't be killed by something as lame as win95 or winnt.  It
might not ever penetrate the markets these products are meant for, but
that is unimportant because neither of these will penetrate its market
either.  I think that you will have two kinds of computer users in the
years to come; a small percentage of knowledgable experts and
accomplished amateurs, and a whole slew of users who don't see a computer
as being much different from a toaster.  Operating systems like Linux
will always be the ones which the experts choose to use if they can.
Win95 and the MacOS is for the stupid cows out there who think that
a megahertz is some kind of pain tolerance scale.  Win95 actually isn't
all that bad, it could be a lot worse.  But there is just no excuse for
the crappy OS that apple makes.  I'm done complaining.... for now.

Lee Reynolds

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by BERMING » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I keep seeing posts about how linux is dead, or linux is dying or
> failing.  Where does this *come from?  Are MS spies among us,
> spreading rumors and outright lies?

[snip]

Quote:> Lee Reynolds

Some of this stuff seems to be cross-posts.  I have no doubt, though, that
there are Microsoft enthusiasts out there who want to respond to some of
this newsgroup's more zealous posters.  I also have no doubt that members
of Bill Gates' crew are very interested in finding out what Linux does
well, so those qualities can be incorporated into NT, thereby making it
more appealing to those who would rather run Linux.

As for whether Bill's company is paying stooges to make Linux look bad in
this newsgroup--well, it's a public forum, and anyone can post here.

And if that is in fact happening, I'm not surprised; corporate America and
morality have never been on the same docket in my schedule; ever heard
something like: "well, that may be the right thing to do, but this is
business!"?

I would suggest that if there *are* stooges trolling around here, they
should be ignored.  They will eventually go off by themselves.  And if
someone posts something about Linux that's an outright lie, and you do feel
inclined to respond, give them an http reference or something that has
already been offered, as proff that they are full of baloney.

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by Ma » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>> I keep seeing posts about how linux is dead, or linux is dying or
>> failing.  Where does this *come from?  Are MS spies among us,
>> spreading rumors and outright lies?

>I would suggest that if there *are* stooges trolling around here, they
>should be ignored.  They will eventually go off by themselves.  And if
>someone posts something about Linux that's an outright lie, and you do feel
>inclined to respond, give them an http reference or something that has
>already been offered, as proff that they are full of baloney.

And please, CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE TO "WINDOWS IS DEAD" INSTEAD OF
"LINUX IS DEAD" ... these corporate trolls know that a lie repeated
over and over gradually becomes accepted, regradless of the seldom read
contents of the article refuting the subject header.

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by David Griffi » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

[snip]
: Some of this stuff seems to be cross-posts.  I have no doubt, though, that
: there are Microsoft enthusiasts out there who want to respond to some of
: this newsgroup's more zealous posters.  I also have no doubt that members
: of Bill Gates' crew are very interested in finding out what Linux does
: well, so those qualities can be incorporated into NT, thereby making it
: more appealing to those who would rather run Linux.

Some time ago, MS hired a student at some university campus (I forget
where) to find out why so few students were buying the academically
discounted Windows NT.  The student discovered that these targeted
students were instead using freeware unicies, usually Linux.

[snip]

: I would suggest that if there *are* stooges trolling around here, they
: should be ignored.  They will eventually go off by themselves.  And if
: someone posts something about Linux that's an outright lie, and you do feel
: inclined to respond, give them an http reference or something that has
: already been offered, as proff that they are full of baloney.

There really are MS stooges lurking here.  Remember Tom Payne?

"In 1984 mainstream users were choosing VMS over UNIX.  Ten years later
they are choosing Windows over UNIX.  What part of that message aren't you
getting?"

He was mildly amusing for a while.

--
David Griffith

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by Paul E Larso » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Yes, we know who you are, so pack a tooth brush and we will be there on
Tuesday Feb 30 to take you away. :]
--

Linux it's not just an OS it's an Adventure.
Paul E Larson

Quote:> I keep seeing posts about how linux is dead, or linux is dying or
> failing.  Where does this *come from?  Are MS spies among us,

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by Chuck Bermingha » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Some time ago, MS hired a student at some university campus (I forget
> where) to find out why so few students were buying the academically
> discounted Windows NT.  The student discovered that these targeted
> students were instead using freeware unicies, usually Linux.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find out about that?  Did this person
reveal himself?

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by Timothy Watso » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> There really are MS stooges lurking here.  Remember Tom Payne?

There was an MS vice-president, Todd Needham. What impressed me was
that a couple of posts showed he had actually run Linux, but after a
little while, he spent all his time defending Microsoft.

Quote:> "In 1984 mainstream users were choosing VMS over UNIX.  Ten years later
> they are choosing Windows over UNIX.  What part of that message aren't you
> getting?"

T    i    m    o    t    h    y              W    a    t    s    o    n

  __/| Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by Chuck Bermingha » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> > There really are MS stooges lurking here.  Remember Tom Payne?

> There was an MS vice-president, Todd Needham. What impressed me was
> that a couple of posts showed he had actually run Linux, but after a
> little while, he spent all his time defending Microsoft.

> > "In 1984 mainstream users were choosing VMS over UNIX.  Ten years later
> > they are choosing Windows over UNIX.  What part of that message aren't
you
> > getting?"

> --
> T    i    m    o    t    h    y              W    a    t    s    o    n

>   __/| Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down

Yeah, I remember him!  Isn't he still posting here under the name "Todd?"

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by G. Sumner Hay » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Some time ago, MS hired a student at some university campus (I forget
> where) to find out why so few students were buying the academically
> discounted Windows NT.  The student discovered that these targeted
> students were instead using freeware unicies, usually Linux.

That would be Carnegie Mellon University, last fall.  There were big
discussions all over cmu.os.linux.* about it; the MS goon kept
trying to get everyone to admit that they were pirating copies of
NT.

TTFN,

  Sumner

--

  Apologies to legitimate repliers.

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by David Griffi » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: >
: > Some time ago, MS hired a student at some university campus (I forget
: > where) to find out why so few students were buying the academically
: > discounted Windows NT.  The student discovered that these targeted
: > students were instead using freeware unicies, usually Linux.

: That would be Carnegie Mellon University, last fall.  There were big
: discussions all over cmu.os.linux.* about it; the MS goon kept
: trying to get everyone to admit that they were pirating copies of
: NT.

I'd love to find archives of some of those discussions...  Remember
Whatsisname Payne from MS who whined about how people chose VMS over unix
in the 80s?  Something tells me that the discussuions of which you speak
are something of an accellerated version of Payne's rants.

--
David Griffith

Is MS paying someone here?

Post by G. Sumner Hay » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> : That would be Carnegie Mellon University, last fall.  There were big
> : discussions all over cmu.os.linux.* about it; the MS goon kept
> : trying to get everyone to admit that they were pirating copies of
> : NT.

> I'd love to find archives of some of those discussions...  Remember
> Whatsisname Payne from MS who whined about how people chose VMS over unix
> in the 80s?  Something tells me that the discussuions of which you speak
> are something of an accellerated version of Payne's rants.

I don't know of any archives, but there wasn't very much of substance
said other than what I've given.

Summary, from memory:

--------------
MS plant:
So, people, I'm wondering why it is that there aren't more people buying
NT at the computer store here on campus.  I'm one of the campus MS student
contacts, and they've asked me to check it out.

Linux person #1:
We run Linux.

MS plant:
MS seems to think that on a technologically oriented campus like this,
more people should be buying NT.

Linux person #1:
Why?

Linux person #2:
Hey, guys, I just found out that MS-plant is trying to demonstrate rampant
piracy of NT on our campus.  Wacky.

MS plant:
MS is quite interested in getting usage numbers for NT.  I'm not going
to give any specific names to them, don't worry about that.  How many
of you also have NT on your machines?

Linux people:
A few.  Not very many.  Those of us who do bought it, for the most part.

MS plant:
You guys aren't being straight with me, are you?
--------------

At this point, two things happened:

1.  Pointless name-calling flames started.

2.  Someone posted a little shell-script to run through all of CMU's
IP addresses and check which OS they were running; the piracy numbers
were no higher than other campuses, and there was a pretty large
number of Linux boxes relative to other techie campuses.

Things eventually petered out.

TTFN,

  Sumner

--

  PGP public key and other info at http://www.pathway.net/sumner/

1. pay someone to install software?

On the SunOffice download site I happened across ...

"Why bother with the hassle of installing your own software? Have
Expertcity do it for you! For USD $16.95, a qualified expert will
install StarOffice Software in a matter of minutes. Click here to
start."

This is what modern-day UNIX/Linux is all about ??
sheesh

2. Real time processing & Interupt serviceing

3. OK MS Paid Shills...Please Raise Your Hand

4. KDevelop & Makefile

5. MS shills allowed to pay for Win 98 beta

6. Second public beta of Compaq C for Linux Alpha

7. Proof that MS cares about paying customers

8. Beta Testers Wanted for Simplified PPP System.

9. MS has to pay people to use MSIE

10. MS settles Florida class suit with $202m pay-off

11. "Win2k Cheaper than Linux?" MS-paid IDC says!

12. Solid proof!!!! MS pays Wintrolls

13. Are journalists paid by MS?