Grab him by the spell checker

Post by Stev » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:09:07

Star Office has a similar relationship to Open Office as Netscape does
to Mozilla.

I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded Open
Office, that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

This seems to be an emerging stratedgy for companies that contribute
resources to opensource projects to get code for their own proprietary
apps that are near identical to the open source app.

Post by Doug. » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:23:32

> Star Office has a similar relationship to Open Office as Netscape does
> to Mozilla.

> I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded Open
> Office, that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

> This seems to be an emerging stratedgy for companies that contribute
> resources to opensource projects to get code for their own proprietary
> apps that are near identical to the open source app.

What but how come my version that comes with Mandrake 8.2 has a spellchecker
built into it ?

Post by Phil Jackso » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:25:57

> I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded Open
> Office

Wrong, OpenOffice originates from StarOffices source code.

Quote:> that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

Open Office has a spell checker, not the same one as StarOffice due to
licencing issues.

Quote:> This seems to be an emerging stratedgy for companies that contribute
> resources to opensource projects to get code for their own proprietary
> apps that are near identical to the open source app.

Well would that not be a good thing? In a sence they are sharing code.
Therefore making the application better alot faster. It also gives us, the
end user, a choice.

Best regards
Phil Jackson

Grab him by the spell checker

Post by James Ro » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:27:40

Quote:>Star Office has a similar relationship to Open Office as Netscape does
>to Mozilla.

>I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded Open
>Office, that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

False. Open Office does *not* lack a spell checker.  I just ran my
OpenOffice, opened a document, and in used the Tools->SpellCheck->Check..
to spell check the document.  There is also a Tools->Spellcheck-AutoSpellCheck
option you can turn on.

Quote:>This seems to be an emerging stratedgy for companies that contribute
>resources to opensource projects to get code for their own proprietary
>apps that are near identical to the open source app.

Your facts are wrong, and your conclusion is also.

Post by Marc Geerling » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:57:08

> Star Office has a similar relationship to Open Office as Netscape does
> to Mozilla.

> I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded Open
> Office, that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

That is not true. I use openoffice daily and there is a spellchecker
integrated! There is support for a lot of languages even for my native
one, Dutch.

http://whiteboard.openoffice.org/lingucomponent/download_dictionary.html

Quote:> This seems to be an emerging stratedgy for companies that contribute
> resources to opensource projects to get code for their own proprietary
> apps that are near identical to the open source app.

Nothing wrong with that. But Openoffice is allready a very capable office
suite on its own.

I only wish that pan had a spellchecker too, like evolution :-(

regards

Marc Geerlings

Post by Marc Geerling » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:14:37

> Star Office has a similar relationship to Open Office as Netscape does
> to Mozilla.

Yes this true

Quote:> I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded Open
> Office, that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

That is not true. I use open office daily and there is a spell checker
integrated! There is support for a lot of languages even for my native
one, Dutch.

http://whiteboard.openoffice.org/lingucomponent/download_dictionary.html

Quote:> This seems to be an emerging stratedgy for companies that contribute
> resources to opensource projects to get code for their own proprietary
> apps that are near identical to the open source app.

I find there is nothing wrong with that. I used Star Office 5.2 and use
Star Office 6.0 on my Sun Ultras at work, I use Open Office on my Linux
workstations at work and at home, they are completely compatible and I'm
not missing anything on the Open Office in com[arison with the Star
Office versions, Open Office is very capable on it's own.

Your statement seems to be that the companies who are supporting and
using the open source projects for their own suites are keeping the best
for themselves and leave the scrapes for the open source community. If
you look at the two projects mentioned Open Office and Mozilla and you
would use them instead of making some misinformed statements you would
find out that the open source ones are very capable and when looking
close to Mozilla even better then the proprietary one, newer code base
and a lot less bloat.

The two examples you gave are truly amazing open source suites, you
should use them instead of spouting misinformed statements.

regards

Marc Geerlings

Post by mjt » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:02:56

> Star Office has a similar relationship to Open Office as
> Netscape does to Mozilla.

okay ...

Quote:> I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded Open
> Office, that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

where did you learn this ??? i'm using
build 641 and it has a spell checker
AND "auto spell checking". if you require,
i'll do a screen shot :))

Quote:> This seems to be an emerging stratedgy for companies that contribute
> resources to opensource projects to get code for their own proprietary
> apps that are near identical to the open source app.

no it isnt. some child/parent projects move at
different paces. i've seen stuff that exists in
mozilla, but doesnt in netscape and vice-versa

--
+==================================
+==================================

Post by Don't have a cow man.. » Wed, 01 May 2002 03:34:01

>> Star Office has a similar relationship to Open Office as Netscape does
>> to Mozilla.

> okay ...

>> I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded Open
>> Office, that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

> where did you learn this ??? i'm using build 641 and it has a spell
> checker
> AND "auto spell checking". if you require, i'll do a screen shot :))

It also has a very complete thesaurus (just look at how many alternatives
to 'fool' you get).

Post by Johan Lindquis » Wed, 01 May 2002 12:39:08

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
 12:31pm  up 43 days, 13:14,  3 users,  load average: 1.20, 1.27, 1.22

Grab him by the spell checker

Post by Mike » Wed, 01 May 2002 18:20:05

Sam Richards () had this to say:

>> In a sence they are sharing code.  Therefore making the application
>> better alot faster. It also gives us, the end user, a choice.
> Better and faster like Mozilla?

Precisely.  Now you're catching on, Sam.

Quote:> Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

You might want to get that checked out, sounds like you're * to
death or something.
--
Mike.

Post by Phil Jackso » Wed, 01 May 2002 18:41:27

>>Well would that not be a good thing? In a sence they are sharing code.
>>Therefore making the application better alot faster. It also gives us, the
>>end user, a choice.

> Better and faster like Mozilla?

I said better, faster, not better and faster (which mozilla is now anyway.)

Phil Jackson

Post by Paul Robs » Tue, 07 May 2002 11:26:28

>Star Office has a similar relationship to Open Office as Netscape does
>to Mozilla.

>I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded Open
>Office, that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

????? It has a wiggly line one and a press the button one.

Post by Jason Ear » Sat, 04 May 2002 08:23:53

> Star Office has a similar relationship to Open Office as Netscape
> does to Mozilla.

Yes, Sun donated most of the StarOffice code, and OpenOffice was
created from that (with a great deal of Sun help).

Quote:> I just learned today that eventhough Star Office is just branded
> Open Office, that Open Office also lacks a spell checker.

When OpenOffice was first released it lacked a whole pile of useful
stuff, and it didn't print.  Now it works fine.  It has a different
spell checker than StarOffice, but you still get red squigglies when
you goof.

Quote:> This seems to be an emerging stratedgy for companies that contribute
> resources to opensource projects to get code for their own
> proprietary apps that are near identical to the open source app.

Yes, that's it precisely.  Sun needed an office suite so that they
could at least pretend that they had a desktop solution, and AOL
needed a web browser that wasn't dependent on their biggest
competitor.  Neither one of these projects was likely to make any
money, but both were critical for strategic reasons.  So both AOL and
Sun released the code in the hopes that they could get some volunteer
help, and some free evangelism.

It seems to be working well for both of these companies so far.

Jason