ASDL and Linux ?

Post by D. Bernar » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I would like to know if there could be any problems with the ability of
Linux working with ASDL in the future. I am not sure, but it seems that
only regional phone companies will be
able to offer ASDL. If this is true, then will independent ISP's be
driven out of business.

My concern was elevated when I heard last week that my local regional
phone provider (Ameritech) is planning to team up with Microsoft to
offer ASDL in the coming year. Though I find the prospect of getting
ASDL inviting, I have the feeling that a proprietary method will be
established requiring the use of a MS OS to use ASDL.

ASDL and Linux ?

Post by Chuck Bermingha » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I've been doing a little research into ASDL on the Web, and haven't found
anything on this so far.  Have you contacted Ameritech or Microsoft on this
matter?  If so, what did they say?

Also, does anyone else here have any good suggestions about pursuing this?
Ameritech seems ready to push ADSL in my area, too, and I would like to
know if there's any trickery involved.

Quote:> I would like to know if there could be any problems with the ability of

Post by Joseph I. Valenzue » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I've been doing a little research into ASDL on the Web, and haven't found
> anything on this so far.  Have you contacted Ameritech or Microsoft on this
> matter?  If so, what did they say?

> Also, does anyone else here have any good suggestions about pursuing this?
> Ameritech seems ready to push ADSL in my area, too, and I would like to
> know if there's any trickery involved.

> > I would like to know if there could be any problems with the ability of
> > Linux working with ASDL in the future. I am not sure, but it seems that

I wouldn't sweat it.  We've got a couple of ASDL rate-adaptive modems
here ("Aware", I think) and AFAIK you can set them up about as easily
as an external ISDN TA (ie, almost just like a modem).

There's also an option to do a connection w/ 10BaseT so you can use it
as a sort of WAN connection.  Pretty groovy stuff -- fast, too ---
although as I understand it there are some problems getting the right
kind of lines installed.

--

ASDL and Linux ?

Post by Koen Deforch » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I've been doing a little research into ASDL on the Web, and haven't found
> anything on this so far.  Have you contacted Ameritech or Microsoft on this
> matter?  If so, what did they say?

> Also, does anyone else here have any good suggestions about pursuing this?
> Ameritech seems ready to push ADSL in my area, too, and I would like to
> know if there's any trickery involved.

> > I would like to know if there could be any problems with the ability of
> > Linux working with ASDL in the future. I am not sure, but it seems that

ehum ? i've setup an asdl thing only a week ago.
You just plug an ethernet card in your computer and connect it
with an utp-cable to your asdl-thing. You don't need anything
new besides that.

koen.