Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by mmn.. » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 03:12:21

According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to
criminalize the use of any hardware or software capable of "storing,
retrieving, processing, performing, transmitting, receiving or copying
information in digital form" which "does not include and utilize certified
security technologies" approved by the federal government.

Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be,
but I can't feel ok until I'm sure.

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by Todd Relye » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 04:05:39

> According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to
> criminalize the use of any hardware or software capable of "storing,
> retrieving, processing, performing, transmitting, receiving or copying
> information in digital form" which "does not include and utilize certified
> security technologies" approved by the federal government.

> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46655,00.html

> Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be,
> but I can't feel ok until I'm sure.

It isn't a hoax, but it is a Looooong way from becoming a law.  I honestly
wouldn't worry about it, as it clearly is a first amendment violation,
and if it ever gets signed, it will be about three seconds before the first
court challenge.

Todd

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by mmn.. » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 05:09:51

>> According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to
>> criminalize the use of any hardware or software capable of "storing,
>> retrieving, processing, performing, transmitting, receiving or copying
>> information in digital form" which "does not include and utilize
>> certified security technologies" approved by the federal government.

>> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46655,00.html

>> Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be,
>> but I can't feel ok until I'm sure.

> It isn't a hoax, but it is a Looooong way from becoming a law.  I honestly
> wouldn't worry about it, as it clearly is a first amendment violation,
> and if it ever gets signed, it will be about three seconds before the
> first court challenge.

> Todd

I wonder what they are trying to do?  Draw attention away from the
DMCA?  Legitimize their ideals by proclaiming them publicly?  Threaten
the opposition by flexing thier muscles and making their puppets in
Congress dance?  Trick people into feeling relieved when they later
'compromise' and 'settle' for something only 1/2 as opressive?  Or
simply test the waters of public opinion?

Why don't they just draft a bill to give the Statue of Liberty
to Jack Valenti for his birthday?

Somehow we have to get organized and MAKE HEADS ROLL when ideas
like this are floated.  It must be taboo.

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by Todd Relye » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:06:06

>>> According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to
>>> criminalize the use of any hardware or software capable of "storing,
>>> retrieving, processing, performing, transmitting, receiving or copying
>>> information in digital form" which "does not include and utilize
>>> certified security technologies" approved by the federal government.

>>> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46655,00.html

>>> Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be,
>>> but I can't feel ok until I'm sure.

>> It isn't a hoax, but it is a Looooong way from becoming a law.  I
>> honestly wouldn't worry about it, as it clearly is a first amendment
>> violation, and if it ever gets signed, it will be about three seconds
>> before the first court challenge.

>> Todd

> I wonder what they are trying to do?  Draw attention away from the
> DMCA?  Legitimize their ideals by proclaiming them publicly?  Threaten
> the opposition by flexing thier muscles and making their puppets in
> Congress dance?  Trick people into feeling relieved when they later
> 'compromise' and 'settle' for something only 1/2 as opressive?  Or
> simply test the waters of public opinion?

> Why don't they just draft a bill to give the Statue of Liberty
> to Jack Valenti for his birthday?

> Somehow we have to get organized and MAKE HEADS ROLL when ideas
> like this are floated.  It must be taboo.

Well, your local congressman is only an e-mail away.  We can rant in these
newsgroups all we want, but it won't make a damm bit of difference if we
don't rant to the right people.

Todd

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by Gary Halloc » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 03:37:03

> According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to criminalize the use
> of any hardware or software capable of "storing,  retrieving,
> processing, performing, transmitting, receiving or copying  information
> in digital form" which "does not include and utilize certified  security
> technologies" approved by the federal government.

> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46655,00.html

> Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be, but I
> can't feel ok until I'm sure.

It's not a hoax, but I would like some of whatever it was they were
smoking when they wrote that bill.   It will be interesting to see what
happens when Ford and GM say they have to raise the price of all cars by
a few hundred dollars to accomodate this law.   I'm pretty sure my
microwave would be in violation.   And I wonder how much digital watches
will go up in price.  This law is just too broad and too vague to pass the
acid test in the courts.

Gary

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by Richard Cart » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:25:09

: According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to
: criminalize the use of any hardware or software capable of "storing,
: retrieving, processing, performing, transmitting, receiving or copying
: information in digital form" which "does not include and utilize certified
: security technologies" approved by the federal government.

: http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46655,00.html

That's bizarre.  If I'm reading this right, if I write software
that can store data, and do not implement Government-approved
security, I'm a criminal?
--
Rick Carter

Chair,   Paradox/Delphi SIG,   Cincinnati PC Users Group

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by Robert Morell » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:53:01

> According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to criminalize the use
> of any hardware or software capable of "storing, retrieving, processing,
> performing, transmitting, receiving or copying information in digital
> form" which "does not include and utilize certified security
> technologies" approved by the federal government.

> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46655,00.html

> Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be, but I
> can't feel ok until I'm sure.

Well,  you know the House of Representatives of the state of Indiana
once passed a bill specifying an incorrect value of pi,  based on
proposals by a mathematical crank.

The two situations are analogous.  I would advice the Indiana politicians
that they aren't powerful enough to legislate the  universe;  that's
God's job.  I would advise the US politicians that they aren't powerful
enough to legislate the distribution of information on the internet;
that's our job.

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by John Saunder » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:46:23

> > According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to criminalize the use
> > of any hardware or software capable of "storing, retrieving, processing,
> > performing, transmitting, receiving or copying information in digital
> > form" which "does not include and utilize certified security
> > technologies" approved by the federal government.

> > http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46655,00.html

> > Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be, but I
> > can't feel ok until I'm sure.

> Well,  you know the House of Representatives of the state of Indiana
> once passed a bill specifying an incorrect value of pi,  based on
> proposals by a mathematical crank.

> The two situations are analogous.  I would advice the Indiana politicians
> that they aren't powerful enough to legislate the  universe;  that's
> God's job.

Didn't some legislature once legislate that pi = 3, based on an Old
Testament description of the Temple in Jerusalem?
--
John Saunders

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by Charlie Eber » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:12:44

>> According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to criminalize the use
>> of any hardware or software capable of "storing, retrieving, processing,
>> performing, transmitting, receiving or copying information in digital
>> form" which "does not include and utilize certified security
>> technologies" approved by the federal government.

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/,1283,46655,00.html

>> Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be, but I
>> can't feel ok until I'm sure.

> Well,  you know the House of Representatives of the state of Indiana
> once passed a bill specifying an incorrect value of pi,  based on
> proposals by a mathematical crank.

> The two situations are analogous.  I would advice the Indiana politicians
> that they aren't powerful enough to legislate the  universe;  that's
> God's job.  I would advise the US politicians that they aren't powerful
> enough to legislate the distribution of information on the internet;
> that's our job.

I think the Federal Government will eventually pass enough legislation
that it will * up the internet forever, making it pretty much useless
commercial panfadder.

That is unless Microsoft does so first.  Keep in mind that IIS servers
are a very small percentage by PC count of the internet user base
and their CODE RED virus problems really did take the entire
internet down for weeks and caused 65% of the countries ISP's
to ban inbound port activity, especially port 80 for web serving.

Truely, it does appear to be a race between the government and
microsoft as to who will destroy the internet first.

Speaking of which, isn't Bush very fortunate to still have Janet Reno
around in his cabinet to perform those sneaky underhanded tampering
maneuvers with the judical system.

--
Charlie

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by mmn.. » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:15:30

<snip>

> Didn't some legislature once legislate that pi = 3, based on an Old
> Testament description of the Temple in Jerusalem?
> --
> John Saunders

Well, that's the best estimate you can get to 0 decimal places :)

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by GreyClou » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:19:38

> >> According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to criminalize the use
> >> of any hardware or software capable of "storing, retrieving, processing,
> >> performing, transmitting, receiving or copying information in digital
> >> form" which "does not include and utilize certified security
> >> technologies" approved by the federal government.

> >> http://www.veryComputer.com/,1283,46655,00.html

> >> Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be, but I
> >> can't feel ok until I'm sure.

> > Well,  you know the House of Representatives of the state of Indiana
> > once passed a bill specifying an incorrect value of pi,  based on
> > proposals by a mathematical crank.

> > The two situations are analogous.  I would advice the Indiana politicians
> > that they aren't powerful enough to legislate the  universe;  that's
> > God's job.  I would advise the US politicians that they aren't powerful
> > enough to legislate the distribution of information on the internet;
> > that's our job.

> I think the Federal Government will eventually pass enough legislation
> that it will * up the internet forever, making it pretty much useless
> commercial panfadder.

> That is unless Microsoft does so first.  Keep in mind that IIS servers
> are a very small percentage by PC count of the internet user base
> and their CODE RED virus problems really did take the entire
> internet down for weeks and caused 65% of the countries ISP's
> to ban inbound port activity, especially port 80 for web serving.

> Truely, it does appear to be a race between the government and
> microsoft as to who will destroy the internet first.

> Speaking of which, isn't Bush very fortunate to still have Janet Reno
> around in his cabinet to perform those sneaky underhanded tampering
> maneuvers with the judical system.

> --
> Charlie

Hehehe... now that you mention it... how can anybody vote for Janet seeing
that
she has parkisons disease... dementia goes with the territory.

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by Mark Ke » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:55:51

>>> It isn't a hoax, but it is a Looooong way from becoming a law.  I
>>> honestly wouldn't worry about it, as it clearly is a first amendment
>>> violation, and if it ever gets signed, it will be about three seconds
>>> before the first court challenge.

>>> Todd

>> I wonder what they are trying to do?  Draw attention away from the
>> DMCA?  Legitimize their ideals by proclaiming them publicly?  Threaten
>> the opposition by flexing thier muscles and making their puppets in
>> Congress dance?  Trick people into feeling relieved when they later
>> 'compromise' and 'settle' for something only 1/2 as opressive?  Or
>> simply test the waters of public opinion?

>> Why don't they just draft a bill to give the Statue of Liberty
>> to Jack Valenti for his birthday?

>> Somehow we have to get organized and MAKE HEADS ROLL when ideas
>> like this are floated.  It must be taboo.

>Well, your local congressman is only an e-mail away.  We can rant in these
>newsgroups all we want, but it won't make a damm bit of difference if we
>don't rant to the right people.

I think this probably is a serious attempt, but either way, the
companies behind it win.  They might in the end accept that it makes
the DMCA seem nice.  Otoh, with some of the laws recently being passed
around the planet (see RIP in the UK for example), it might just happen.

I wish you luck in fighting this.

--
Mark Kent
                                               Take out the ham to mail me.

Please tell me this is a hoax

Post by SteveCampbel » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:24:34

Quote:

> According to Wired News, a bill is being drafted to
> criminalize the use of any hardware or software capable of "storing,
> retrieving, processing, performing, transmitting, receiving or copying
> information in digital form" which "does not include and utilize certified
> security technologies" approved by the federal government.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/,1283,46655,00.html

> Please, somebody prove this is a hoax.  I'm thinking it must be,
> but I can't feel ok until I'm sure.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you tehe master stroke of MS *ery I have
been promising.
Good bye Linux as ONLY MS will have this American Nazi Party approved
security.
in short.....
We're *ED!

--
registered Linux user #212154
Don't get mad, get Linux

Newbies concise guide to all this commandline business.
Essential reading!!! ( and short and quire funny too:) )
http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Please tell me- how can I tell what keeps killing my network connection?

I'm running Mandrake 7.2 on a 4-node LAN.

All of the windows boxes maintain a stable connection on this net.

All of the IPs are fixed (and masquaraded behind a firewall). I only
have 1 100MB network card as eth0. I'm using the tulip driver. I'm not
sure what kind of card it is. This is a 1Ghz Athalon with 512MB.

The symptoms are that after a network bounce, forwhatever reason, it
takes 4-5 days before the Mandrake box becomes a stable network node
again. It keeps dropping the connection, and I have to a

 /etc/init.d/network restart

which always works, and it stays up for 5-10 minutes then disconnects
again, then another restart and bingo its back up.

After 4-5 days of this, I guess something finally changes because it
suddenly becomes a stable node and no more restarts are required until
the next network bounce, which of course I dread!

Any suggestions as to where I can look?

Thanks,
Gx

2. Need binary for Mosaic and WWW daemon on Solaris x86.

3. How do I tell what speed I am connected at?

4. Apache - suexec

5. rlogin can't tell who I am in Solaris 2.1

6. F40 hang after install AIX 4.1.5

7. How can my script tell if I am in the console?

8. WP8? SO5?

9. I am ready for Linus....Just tell me how to set it up!!!

10. How can I tell whether I am logging in on console inside .login?

11. can someone tell me what I am missing here?

12. Question: How can I tell what kernal I am presently running?