Why Linux Made Inroads At Financial Institutions

Why Linux Made Inroads At Financial Institutions

Post by Don't have a cow man.. » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 06:13:47



Why Linux XF instead of MS-Windows? Because you can get twice the
computing power for 1/4 the cost, that's why. I wonder who these financial
institutions plan on suing after they put in Linux XF? Seems to me that
they probably figured such a pansy-assed attitude only works for MS
marketeers (or is that mouseketeers?) How about it Erik, who are these
people looking to point fingers at by using Linux XF?

http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=02040300306...

Quote:
"Now that it has tested a Linux system in-house, Lehman plans to replace
about half of the lost servers with ones that use this technology." ...

"While Lehman has not yet signed a contract to install Linux , its testing
showed that the system runs about twice as fast as its existing server
system at roughly one-quarter of the cost, Ms. O'Connor said. "So where we
needed 24, now we need 12 -- that's compelling.""

 
 
 

Why Linux Made Inroads At Financial Institutions

Post by Mike » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:04:39




Quote:> Why Linux XF instead of MS-Windows? Because you can get twice the
> computing power for 1/4 the cost, that's why. I wonder who these financial
> institutions plan on suing after they put in Linux XF? Seems to me that
> they probably figured such a pansy-assed attitude only works for MS
> marketeers (or is that mouseketeers?) How about it Erik, who are these
> people looking to point fingers at by using Linux XF?

http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=02040300306...
=lehman+linux

Quote:

> Quote:
> "Now that it has tested a Linux system in-house, Lehman plans to replace
> about half of the lost servers with ones that use this technology." ...

> "While Lehman has not yet signed a contract to install Linux , its testing
> showed that the system runs about twice as fast as its existing server
> system at roughly one-quarter of the cost, Ms. O'Connor said. "So where we
> needed 24, now we need 12 -- that's compelling.""

Are you sure this is such a pro-Linux article? Are you sure they're
replacing Windows systems? It doesn't say they are, and I have to wonder if
they aren't talking about replacing low-end Sun machines with Linux.

Later on, there's this:

"A TowerGroup report on Linux's penetration in the securities industry
showed that in 2000 it had 0% market share -- versus 58% for Windows NT, 38%
for Unix, 3% for Windows 2000, and 1% for Novell. But TowerGroup projects
that by 2004 Linux server usage will grow by 23% in this market, versus 81%
for Windows 2000 and 7% for Unix. It projects that growth will slow for both
Novell and Windows NT."

Unfortunately, you'd need the data for today to make sense of the growth
rates (ie. a Linux growth rate of 23% starting from 0% market share is still
0%, and that's clearly not what they're saying).

And after that, there's this:

"Cost appears to be a major reason why companies are interested. Red Hat
offers its advanced Linux servers for between $1,000 and $1,400 on an annual
basis, Mr. Thompson said. At the high end, Linux systems are about 10%
cheaper than similar Microsoft Windows systems, and 40% to 50% cheaper than
Unix-based ones, he said."

-- Mike --

 
 
 

Why Linux Made Inroads At Financial Institutions

Post by GreyClou » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 02:43:15





> > Why Linux XF instead of MS-Windows? Because you can get twice the
> > computing power for 1/4 the cost, that's why. I wonder who these financial
> > institutions plan on suing after they put in Linux XF? Seems to me that
> > they probably figured such a pansy-assed attitude only works for MS
> > marketeers (or is that mouseketeers?) How about it Erik, who are these
> > people looking to point fingers at by using Linux XF?

> http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?id=02040300306...
> =lehman+linux

> > Quote:
> > "Now that it has tested a Linux system in-house, Lehman plans to replace
> > about half of the lost servers with ones that use this technology." ...

> > "While Lehman has not yet signed a contract to install Linux , its testing
> > showed that the system runs about twice as fast as its existing server
> > system at roughly one-quarter of the cost, Ms. O'Connor said. "So where we
> > needed 24, now we need 12 -- that's compelling.""

> Are you sure this is such a pro-Linux article? Are you sure they're
> replacing Windows systems? It doesn't say they are, and I have to wonder if
> they aren't talking about replacing low-end Sun machines with Linux.

> Later on, there's this:

> "A TowerGroup report on Linux's penetration in the securities industry
> showed that in 2000 it had 0% market share -- versus 58% for Windows NT, 38%
> for Unix, 3% for Windows 2000, and 1% for Novell. But TowerGroup projects
> that by 2004 Linux server usage will grow by 23% in this market, versus 81%
> for Windows 2000 and 7% for Unix. It projects that growth will slow for both
> Novell and Windows NT."

> Unfortunately, you'd need the data for today to make sense of the growth
> rates (ie. a Linux growth rate of 23% starting from 0% market share is still
> 0%, and that's clearly not what they're saying).

> And after that, there's this:

> "Cost appears to be a major reason why companies are interested. Red Hat
> offers its advanced Linux servers for between $1,000 and $1,400 on an annual
> basis, Mr. Thompson said. At the high end, Linux systems are about 10%
> cheaper than similar Microsoft Windows systems, and 40% to 50% cheaper than
> Unix-based ones, he said."

But you don't have to buy these from redhat... all this
stuff can be had for free with the right experienced
sysadmin guy.

http://www.cio.com/archive/010102/shop.html

This is how its done.

 
 
 

1. Looking for SAs for Global Financial Institution

This Global Bank has established a development center in Horsham PA.
This facility is outfitted for 100+ developers who support the bank's
Securities Processing Application which runs on RS6000 AIX technology in
23 locations throughout the world.  We need someone to install multiple
f50s, configure and support them locally as well as all other technical
services for the facility (LAN, WAN connections, state-of-the-art Video
conference center plus).  Desktops are nt4.0.  Lots of room to grow for
someone who knows AIX and is looking to start their career of in a
really cool environment.

Lots to offer - Benefits, Yearly Bonus to name a few.

2. Linux Distros for IBM ThinkPad 850 (PReP)

3. Linux making inroads on the desktop...

4. Termcap entry too long?

5. Linux making inroads in India

6. _vt.6QFrame can't resolve symbol

7. Linux making inroads

8. Help needed with using Unix acct from home!

9. Why Java made me switch back to NT from Linux

10. Inroads on the Desktop (was Re: New prices for UnixWare)

11. institution version?

12. Research Awk available to educational institutions

13. source code for "educational institutions"