Questions about trace route?

Post by Pig » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi All:

I am now using the Win98 and SuSE Linux.
I remember that there is a command name "trace route" or "route trace".
This cammand is like the command "ping".
Once I type
[command] www.ibm.com
The screen shows the route including the gateway, DNS, ... ...

As I forget the command,
Could you please help me to figure it out?
Pls. reply me to the e-mail

Thanks.

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am now using the Win98 and SuSE Linux.
> I remember that there is a command name "trace route" or "route trace".
> This cammand is like the command "ping".
> Once I type
> [command] www.ibm.com
> The screen shows the route including the gateway, DNS, ... ...

> As I forget the command,
> Could you please help me to figure it out?

It's "traceroute".  You could've just typed "trace" and then <tab> (if
you're using bash as your shell).

- Donn

Post by Aaron Gin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I am now using the Win98 and SuSE Linux.
> > I remember that there is a command name "trace route" or "route trace".
> > This cammand is like the command "ping".
> > Once I type
> > [command] www.ibm.com
> > The screen shows the route including the gateway, DNS, ... ...

> > As I forget the command,
> > Could you please help me to figure it out?

> It's "traceroute".  You could've just typed "trace" and then <tab> (if
> you're using bash as your shell).

> - Donn

You may not have traceroute in your path.  In my distro (Mandrake 7.0),
it's in /usr/sbin which is not normally in a regular user's path.
Type 'locate traceroute' to find out where it is, and if it isn't in
your path, add it to your .bash_profile.

HTH,
Aaron

--
Aaron J. Ginn

Opinions mine, not Motorola's

Post by Steve Harv » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>You may not have traceroute in your path.  In my distro (Mandrake 7.0),
>it's in /usr/sbin which is not normally in a regular user's path.
>Type 'locate traceroute' to find out where it is, and if it isn't in
>your path, add it to your .bash_profile.

Of course that assumes that you have locate/updatedb installed, which
is common but not a given.  If locate doesn't work, you can always:

find / -name 'traceroute' -print

Which should work on just about *nix system out there.

1. Questions about trace route?

Hi All:

I am now using the Win98 and SuSE Linux.
I remember that there is a command name "trace route" or "route trace".
This cammand is like the command "ping".
Once I type
[command] www.ibm.com
The screen shows the route including the gateway, DNS, ... ...

As I forget the command,
Could you please help me to figure it out?
Pls. reply me to the e-mail

Thanks.

2. printer help needed

3. trace route can trace the route but socket cant connect

4. how to make sparc bootable cd?

5. trace routing question

6. installing non-packaged software - continued

7. Trace route with AS number

8. My modem is not responding

9. Program to Trace Route of Telnet/FTP connection

10. It is a astonishing circumstance about trace route....

11. trace route

12. Trace route not showing anything.

13. trace route using protocol 41