More Windows Web Servers than all others combined

More Windows Web Servers than all others combined

Post by Jerry » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 04:37:15

According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted servers
instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy have stated for
years, the numbers are dramatically different. But I'll quote heavily from
Netcraft themselves (http://www.netcraft.com/survey/):

The survey shows 49% of the computers running the
   web are Windows based; a little more than all of the Unix-like
   operating systems combined. As some of the 3.6% of computers not
   identified by Netcraft operating system detector will in reality be
   Windows systems, it would be fair to say about half of public Web
   Servers world-wide are run on Microsoft operating systems.

Operating Systems used by Computers running public Web Sites, March 2001

   OS group         Percentage  Composition
   Windows          49.2%       Windows 2000, NT4, NT3, Win95, Win98
   Linux            28.5%       Linux
   Solaris          7.6%        Solaris 2, Solaris 7, Solaris 8
   BSD              6.3%        BSDI BSD/OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
   Other Unix       2.4%        AIX, Compaq Tru64, HP-UX, IRIX, etc.
   Other non-Unix   2.5%        MacOS, NetWare, proprietary IBM OSs
   Unknown          3.6%

=========
I think nt advocates can feel vindicated. We have long known that simply
counting domain names is pure BS and finally counting host machines is a
more meaningful measure of the use of Webservers and OSes. Note that Linux
grew in % at the sacrifice of other Unix's, not Windows.

More Windows Web Servers than all others combined

Post by surrende » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:03:37

wrote something like:

Quote:> According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted
> servers instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy
> have stated for years, the numbers are dramatically different. But I'll
> quote heavily from Netcraft themselves
> (http://www.netcraft.com/survey/):

> The survey shows 49% of the computers running the
>    web are Windows based; a little more than all of the Unix-like
>    operating systems combined. As some of the 3.6% of computers not
>    identified by Netcraft operating system detector will in reality be
>    Windows systems, it would be fair to say about half of public Web
>    Servers world-wide are run on Microsoft operating systems.

> Operating Systems used by Computers running public Web Sites, March 2001

>    OS group         Percentage  Composition Windows          49.2%
>    Windows 2000, NT4, NT3, Win95, Win98 Linux            28.5%
>    Linux
>    Solaris          7.6%        Solaris 2, Solaris 7, Solaris 8 BSD
>            6.3%        BSDI BSD/OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD Other Unix
>         2.4%        AIX, Compaq Tru64, HP-UX, IRIX, etc. Other non-Unix
>     2.5%        MacOS, NetWare, proprietary IBM OSs Unknown
>    3.6%

> =========
> I think nt advocates can feel vindicated. We have long known that simply
> counting domain names is pure BS and finally counting host machines is a
> more meaningful measure of the use of Webservers and OSes. Note that
> Linux grew in % at the sacrifice of other Unix's, not Windows.

Some interesting comments on
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-06-30-012-21-NW-MR-SV :

"(...) Everyone knows that Windows does not scale nearly as well as Unix or Linux.  When you run Windows, the ratio of boxes to sites is much higher.  You can fit a whole lot more sites on a shared Unix server than you can with Windows.  For a heavy traffic site, you will quickly find that you need two or three Windows boxes just for that one site, where a single Unix box could have easily handled the traffic.
Believe me, I know this: I am a sysadmin for a hosting provider that offers both platforms -- and we need twice as many Windows boxes as we do Unix, for half as many sites.
Saying that Windows is the winning webserver for the Internet because there are more of them out there is like saying that cars are more efficient people-movers than buses because you'll find more of them on city
streets. (...)"

"(...) Umm...well, it said that it was a CPU count. And we all know how much Windows (whatever version) can handle. It's not even close to the amount that a single Unix/Linux box can handle. Your logic is flawed.
I work for a company that does hosting and let me tell you that the W2K boxes handle a max of about 500 accounts while our Solaris boxes handle about 3000 accounts..so it would seem that you STILL need a lot more Wintendo boxes to handle the same load that a Unix box
would. (...)"

What do you think?

--
Greets,
surrender

More Windows Web Servers than all others combined

Post by Linux Ma » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:40:43

Yeah, while windows has 49% of the COMPUTERS, MS webservers only acount
for running 26% of the domains! Sounds to me like it takes a LOT more
computers running MS software to host the same number of sites as the
*nix systems!

Post by Linux Ma » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:34:14

Quote:> According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted
> servers instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy

Yeah we linux users knew it as well, It takes a LOT more NT servers to
do the same work as a FEW linux or Unix servers! Most companies I have
worked at do NOT want to intall hundreds of servers when 10 will do!
Look at the numbers! While windows has almost 1/2 the server, it only
handles 26% of active sites! That would nean it takes 2 windows servers
to match 1 *nix server!
Quote:> have stated for years, the numbers are dramatically different. But I'll

Post by JS P » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:30:05

Quote:> According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted
servers
> instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy have stated
for
> years, the numbers are dramatically different. But I'll quote heavily from
> Netcraft themselves (http://www.netcraft.com/survey/):

> The survey shows 49% of the computers running the
>    web are Windows based; a little more than all of the Unix-like
>    operating systems combined. As some of the 3.6% of computers not
>    identified by Netcraft operating system detector will in reality be
>    Windows systems, it would be fair to say about half of public Web
>    Servers world-wide are run on Microsoft operating systems.

> Operating Systems used by Computers running public Web Sites, March 2001

>    OS group         Percentage  Composition
>    Windows          49.2%       Windows 2000, NT4, NT3, Win95, Win98
>    Linux            28.5%       Linux
>    Solaris          7.6%        Solaris 2, Solaris 7, Solaris 8
>    BSD              6.3%        BSDI BSD/OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
>    Other Unix       2.4%        AIX, Compaq Tru64, HP-UX, IRIX, etc.
>    Other non-Unix   2.5%        MacOS, NetWare, proprietary IBM OSs
>    Unknown          3.6%

> =========
> I think nt advocates can feel vindicated. We have long known that simply
> counting domain names is pure BS and finally counting host machines is a
> more meaningful measure of the use of Webservers and OSes. Note that Linux
> grew in % at the sacrifice of other Unix's, not Windows.

This is one of the finest posts I've seen in years.

More Windows Web Servers than all others combined

Post by JS P » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:41:31

Quote:> Yeah, while windows has 49% of the COMPUTERS, MS webservers only acount
> for running 26% of the domains! Sounds to me like it takes a LOT more
> computers running MS software to host the same number of sites as the
> *nix systems!

That's because Joe Webhost gets himself Linux box and a high speed
connection and overloads it with $10 a month Linux hosting accounts. It has
nothing to do with Linux quality and everything to do with being the
equivalent of an inner city slum lord.

More Windows Web Servers than all others combined

Post by yt.. » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:44:28

Quote:> According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted servers
> instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy have stated for
> years, the numbers are dramatically different. But I'll quote heavily from
> Netcraft themselves (http://www.veryComputer.com/):
> The survey shows 49% of the computers running the
>    web are Windows based; a little more than all of the Unix-like
>    operating systems combined. As some of the 3.6% of computers not
>    identified by Netcraft operating system detector will in reality be
>    Windows systems, it would be fair to say about half of public Web
>    Servers world-wide are run on Microsoft operating systems.
> Operating Systems used by Computers running public Web Sites, March 2001
>    OS group         Percentage  Composition
>    Windows          49.2%       Windows 2000, NT4, NT3, Win95, Win98
>    Linux            28.5%       Linux
>    Solaris          7.6%        Solaris 2, Solaris 7, Solaris 8
>    BSD              6.3%        BSDI BSD/OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
>    Other Unix       2.4%        AIX, Compaq Tru64, HP-UX, IRIX, etc.
>    Other non-Unix   2.5%        MacOS, NetWare, proprietary IBM OSs
>    Unknown          3.6%
> =========
> I think nt advocates can feel vindicated. We have long known that simply
> counting domain names is pure BS and finally counting host machines is a
> more meaningful measure of the use of Webservers and OSes. Note that Linux
> grew in % at the sacrifice of other Unix's, not Windows.

Interesting (and quite expectable) that you didnt mention the fact that
a year ago, the linux percentage was less than half what it is today.

Snapshots of usage statistics are meaningless, as anyone who has even
the barest experience with statistical analysis knows.  Wait 6 months,
then feel vindicated, if you can.

-----.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen * bastard

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:56:03

> > According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted
> > servers instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy

> Yeah we linux users knew it as well, It takes a LOT more NT servers to
> do the same work as a FEW linux or Unix servers! Most companies I have
> worked at do NOT want to intall hundreds of servers when 10 will do!
> Look at the numbers! While windows has almost 1/2 the server, it only
> handles 26% of active sites! That would nean it takes 2 windows servers
> to match 1 *nix server!

Really?  If you knew that, why did you post this?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Linux+Internet+Servers+%25+group:*l...
uthor:cybear%40pacbell.net&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=1&ic=1&selm=373B1A7A.9A46383A
%40pacbell.net

This was your claim that Apache had more servers than Windows.  You're a
hypocrite Matt.

Post by Jerry » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 06:02:03

> wrote something like:

> > According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted
> > servers instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy
> > have stated for years, the numbers are dramatically different. But I'll
> > quote heavily from Netcraft themselves
> > (http://www.netcraft.com/survey/):

> > The survey shows 49% of the computers running the
> >    web are Windows based; a little more than all of the Unix-like
> >    operating systems combined. As some of the 3.6% of computers not
> >    identified by Netcraft operating system detector will in reality be
> >    Windows systems, it would be fair to say about half of public Web
> >    Servers world-wide are run on Microsoft operating systems.

> > Operating Systems used by Computers running public Web Sites, March 2001

> >    OS group         Percentage  Composition Windows          49.2%
> >    Windows 2000, NT4, NT3, Win95, Win98 Linux            28.5%
> >    Linux
> >    Solaris          7.6%        Solaris 2, Solaris 7, Solaris 8 BSD
> >            6.3%        BSDI BSD/OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD Other Unix
> >         2.4%        AIX, Compaq Tru64, HP-UX, IRIX, etc. Other non-Unix
> >     2.5%        MacOS, NetWare, proprietary IBM OSs Unknown
> >    3.6%

> > =========
> > I think nt advocates can feel vindicated. We have long known that simply
> > counting domain names is pure BS and finally counting host machines is a
> > more meaningful measure of the use of Webservers and OSes. Note that
> > Linux grew in % at the sacrifice of other Unix's, not Windows.

> Some interesting comments on
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-06-30-012-21-NW-MR-SV :

> "(...) Everyone knows that Windows does not scale nearly as well as Unix

or Linux.  When you run Windows, the ratio of boxes to sites is much higher.
You can fit a whole lot more sites on a shared Unix server than you can with
Windows.  For a heavy traffic site, you will quickly find that you need two
or three Windows boxes just for that one site, where a single Unix box could
have easily handled the traffic.

Complete crap.

Quote:> Believe me, I know this: I am a sysadmin for a hosting provider that

offers both platforms -- and we need twice as many Windows boxes as we do
Unix, for half as many sites.

I'm a sysadmin for a large provider and we host just as many on our unix
boxes as we do the windows boxes. Our clients choose them ONLY based on what
SQL server they run or if they have CGI or ASP apps.

You are spreading old FUD and hoping it'll fly cause it USED to be true.

Quote:

> What do you think?

I think that finally the truth is known and the linux apologists will once
again try to spin things their way and twist the simple facts.

I didn't say Windows was better, I didn't say Linux sucked. ALL I said was
what the report said: There are more web servers running Windows then there
are web servers running Unix. Obviously though linvocates feel threatened
and have the need to explain away more than what was said.

Post by Jerry » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 06:06:40

> > According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted
> servers
> > instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy have stated
> for
> > years, the numbers are dramatically different. But I'll quote heavily
from
> > Netcraft themselves (http://www.netcraft.com/survey/):

> > The survey shows 49% of the computers running the
> >    web are Windows based; a little more than all of the Unix-like
> >    operating systems combined. As some of the 3.6% of computers not
> >    identified by Netcraft operating system detector will in reality be
> >    Windows systems, it would be fair to say about half of public Web
> >    Servers world-wide are run on Microsoft operating systems.

> > Operating Systems used by Computers running public Web Sites, March 2001

> >    OS group         Percentage  Composition
> >    Windows          49.2%       Windows 2000, NT4, NT3, Win95, Win98
> >    Linux            28.5%       Linux
> >    Solaris          7.6%        Solaris 2, Solaris 7, Solaris 8
> >    BSD              6.3%        BSDI BSD/OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
> >    Other Unix       2.4%        AIX, Compaq Tru64, HP-UX, IRIX, etc.
> >    Other non-Unix   2.5%        MacOS, NetWare, proprietary IBM OSs
> >    Unknown          3.6%

> > =========
> > I think nt advocates can feel vindicated. We have long known that simply
> > counting domain names is pure BS and finally counting host machines is a
> > more meaningful measure of the use of Webservers and OSes. Note that
Linux
> > grew in % at the sacrifice of other Unix's, not Windows.

> This is one of the finest posts I've seen in years.

and it's the simple truth. Watch for linux lovers to try to spin this in a
different direction. Expect them to make comments like "it takes more
windows boxes to blah blah" but don't let them trick you - that's FUD and
crap. AND, even if it _were_ true, it still wouldn't matter. The article and
facts state that there are more Windows web servers running public websites
than unix ones - that's what it says and that's all is being stated. As SOON
as you hear any sideways comments you can thank them for certifying these
facts and then, if you feel like it, deal with whatever other FUD they are
generating.

This finding comes as NO suprise to me whatsoever. In the hosting business
it's common knowledge that you stack up all your cheezy free (included-with)
sites on apache servers cause you make nothing from them and so every single
penny spent is significant. But when you've got large paying customers who
demand features - you immediately comply with their own requests for Windows
boxes - it's the application support and features that draws them and then
they discover the FUD (unstable/unreliable/slow) is just that - OLD fud.

More Windows Web Servers than all others combined

Post by Brac » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 06:06:12

Quote:> I think nt advocates can feel vindicated. We have long known that simply
> counting domain names is pure BS and finally counting host machines is a
> more meaningful measure of the use of Webservers and OSes. Note that
> Linux grew in % at the sacrifice of other Unix's, not Windows.

LOL!  Are you really this clueless?  I think not, I think you're just
deliberately trying to deceive.  Let's look at the information you
chose NOT to disclose because it didn't support your argument:

Top Servers

Apache
May 2001  62.24 %
June 2001  63.02 %
Change  0.78

Microsoft  IIS
May 2001  20.52 %
June 2001  20.38 %
Change   (0.14)

Apache runs more than twice the number of Top Servers than Microsoft IIS.
Furthermore, in one month's time, Apache had a 0.78 gain while Microsoft IIS had a
0.14 loss.

Active Sites

Apache
May 2001 61.53
June 2001 62.42
Change 0.89

Microsoft IIS
May 2001 26.07
June 2001 26.14
Change 0.07

Again, Apache is running more than twice the number of Active Sites than
Microsoft IIS.  Furthermore, in one month's time, Apache had a gain of 0.89
while Microsoft IIS had a gain of only 0.07.

Now, let's look at your deliberate attempt to deceive.  You said:

"The survey shows 49% of the computers running the
   web are Windows based; a little more than all of the Unix-like
   operating systems combined. As some of the 3.6% of computers not
   identified by Netcraft operating system detector will in reality be
   Windows systems, it would be fair to say about half of public Web
   Servers world-wide are run on Microsoft operating systems."

Let's quote directly from the source, and emphasize the information
you deliberately snipped out:

"As some of the 3.6% of computers not identified by Netcraft operating
system detector will in reality be Windows systems, it would be fair to
say about 50% of public Web Servers world-wide are run on Microsoft
operating systems. ALTHOUGH APACHE RUNNING ON VARIOUS
UNIX SYSTEMS RUNS MORE SITES THAN WINDOWS, APACHE
IS HEAVILY DEPLOYED AT HOSTING COMPANIES AND ISPS
WHO STRIVE TO RUN AS MANY SITES AS POSSIBLE ON A
SINGLE COMPUTER TO SAVE COSTS.  WINDOWS IS MOST
POPULAR WITH END-USER AND SELF-HOSTED SITES, WHERE
THE HOST TO COMPUTER RATIO IS MUCH SMALLER.."

In other words, Linux is DOING ITS JOB..  Companies who wish to
run more than one site are choosing Linux-Apache.  If they chose Windows
IT WOULD REQUIRE MORE COMPUTERS TO HOST THE MULTIPLE
SITES.

Let's take a look at the Platform Groupings page (emphasis in CAPS):

"NT specific servers:

"The percentage of NT specific servers, running one of Alibaba,
Commerce-Builder, HTTPS, Microsoft-IIS,
Microsoft-Internet-Information-Server, Purveyor, WebSite,
WebSitePro IS NOW 20.80 (FROM 20.94 LAST MONTH).

"Apache specific servers:

"The percentage of Apache specific servers, running one of
Affinity-Apache, Apache, Apache-1.3.12, Apache-1.3.4,
Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer, Apache-NeoWebScript,
Apache-SSL, Apache-SSL-US, Apache., Apache1.3.9,
Apache4AME, ApacheFP, ApachePro, ApacheSSL,
ApacheSSL-DWEB, Apache1.3.14(Unix), Citysearch-Apache,
HouseIt-Apache, InfoWest.COM-Custom-Apache,
Rapidsite, Red, Stronghold, Superboard-Apache,
Telesat-Apache, WebTen IS NOW 64.90 (FROM 64.11 LAST
MONTH)."

Bracy

Post by Mart van de Weg » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 06:22:41

Quote:> According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted
> servers instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy
> have stated for years, the numbers are dramatically different. But I'll
> quote heavily from Netcraft themselves
> (http://www.netcraft.com/survey/):

> The survey shows 49% of the computers running the
>    web are Windows based; a little more than all of the Unix-like
>    operating systems combined. As some of the 3.6% of computers not
>    identified by Netcraft operating system detector will in reality be
>    Windows systems, it would be fair to say about half of public Web
>    Servers world-wide are run on Microsoft operating systems.

> Operating Systems used by Computers running public Web Sites, March 2001

>    OS group         Percentage  Composition Windows          49.2%
>    Windows 2000, NT4, NT3, Win95, Win98 Linux            28.5%
>    Linux
>    Solaris          7.6%        Solaris 2, Solaris 7, Solaris 8 BSD
>            6.3%        BSDI BSD/OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD Other Unix
>         2.4%        AIX, Compaq Tru64, HP-UX, IRIX, etc. Other non-Unix
>     2.5%        MacOS, NetWare, proprietary IBM OSs Unknown
>    3.6%

> =========
> I think nt advocates can feel vindicated. We have long known that simply
> counting domain names is pure BS and finally counting host machines is a
> more meaningful measure of the use of Webservers and OSes. Note that
> Linux grew in % at the sacrifice of other Unix's, not Windows.

Hi Jan!

See you've got a new alias?

*plonk*

--
Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil,
Going with the flow, it's all the same to me,

Post by Chad Myer » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 06:09:23

> > According to the latest Netcraft survey - they have FINALLY counted
> > servers instead of mom&pop 1 page sites. And, as MANY in nt advocacy

> Yeah we linux users knew it as well, It takes a LOT more NT servers to
> do the same work as a FEW linux or Unix servers!

Really? For what? I don't know that. What I do know is that Linux is a
dog for networking, it has fundamental design flaws in the kernel,
Linus admitted this himself.

Linux makes a terrible app server (running WebLogic) and a terrible
Database server.

The converse to what you said is true for these types of apps.
It takes many more Linux boxes to achieve the same performance as
a single Windows box for database and app server performance.

Not to mention the Google/Deja, AudioGalaxy and <insert linux site here>
Linux web server solution: Just throw tons and tons of boxes at it.

I went to the Deja.com hardware auction shortly after Google bought them
out and they had HUNDREDS of boxes (clones, VALinux servers, every hodge-podge
of hardware you can think of) to run their site. Meanwhile, www.microsoft.com
which receives many more times the hits per day as Deja.com did, runs off
only a few servers.

Quote:> Most companies I have
> worked at do NOT want to intall hundreds of servers when 10 will do!

Exactly! That's why they use Windows boxes, as we see in the Netcraft
survey.

Quote:> Look at the numbers! While windows has almost 1/2 the server, it only
> handles 26% of active sites!

We already explained that: Linux is the king of running 1-5 page
non-dynamic sites. ISPs are unix-biased and so they tend to use
Linux for their web hosting.

I would bet that if they used Windows, they could get even more
sites.

Quote:> That would nean it takes 2 windows servers to match 1 *nix server!

Bah... Fuzzy Logic.

-c

Post by Brac » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 06:14:19

> This is one of the finest posts I've seen in years.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

If this is the finest post you've seen in years, then Windows is in far
worse shape than I thought!  LOL!

Bracy

Post by Mig » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 06:30:43

> Some interesting comments on
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-06-30-012-21-NW-MR-SV :

> "(...) Everyone knows that Windows does not scale nearly as well as Unix
> or Linux.  When you run Windows, the ratio of boxes to sites is much
> higher.  You can fit a whole lot more sites on a shared Unix server than
> you can with Windows.  For a heavy traffic site, you will quickly find
> that you need two or three Windows boxes just for that one site, where a
> single Unix box could have easily handled the traffic. Believe me, I know
> this: I am a sysadmin for a hosting provider that offers both platforms --
> and we need twice as many Windows boxes as we do Unix, for half as many
> sites. Saying that Windows is the winning webserver for the Internet
> because there are more of them out there is like saying that cars are more
> efficient people-movers than buses because you'll find more of them on
> city streets. (...)"

> "(...) Umm...well, it said that it was a CPU count. And we all know how
> much Windows (whatever version) can handle. It's not even close to the
> amount that a single Unix/Linux box can handle. Your logic is flawed. I
> work for a company that does hosting and let me tell you that the W2K
> boxes handle a max of about 500 accounts while our Solaris boxes handle
> about 3000 accounts..so it would seem that you STILL need a lot more
> Wintendo boxes to handle the same load that a Unix box would. (...)"

> What do you think?

I agree... this is also my personal experience working as a Windows
supporter. Windows cant simply handle the load.

Another way of looking at it is to ask - how come that there is a need of
50% servers to handle 20% the sites?  :-)

Unfortunattely whe have to wait to someone has some measure of traffic. Of
course the heavy boxes handle much higher loads than Intel boxes so it will
be exciting news when someone releases such a study.