Strategic Objective: kill cross-platform Java by growing the polluted Java market.

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:48:57

>I just noticed this little beauty in an article on the states' suit
>against MS:

><http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=1887&a=24193,00.asp>

>+ that Microsoft's own strategy documentation
>+ includes the words "strategic objective: kill
>+ cross-platform Java by growing the polluted
>+ Java market."

  That's what they have been doing with the whole darned Web ...
using non-standard extensions to HTML and JavaScript that only
their browser can parse, and making their Web authoring software
produce things that only their servers can support and only their
browsers can read.

Quote:>So now the wintrolls can no longer claim that MS was only trying to
>"improve" Java.  :)

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
"Y'know, I can *say* I'm Ming The Merciless, Emporer of Planet Mongo, but
unless I can produce a few legions of heavily-armed rocket ships, you're not

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. rcs on the rs6000 running aix 3.1.5

3. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls

4. Does Linux support Dos DoubleSpace?

5. More on dealing with large files

6. java/47447: linux-sun-jdk1.4.1: java command can't find java.lang.Object

7. Primary DNS Server for Subnet.

8. Sorry to pollute freebsd-java

9. ANNOUNCE: Linux New Media Architecture (JAVA/TCL/GROW/WWW/ETC)

10. Java with HotSpot on FreeBSD (Was: Re: A Call to Action for freebsd-java)

11. java/jdk14 broken java.net.NetworkInterface (SIOCGIFCONF)

12. Java applet and Java plug-in