Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by Bob Youn » Fri, 10 May 2002 07:13:30

Thought it only fitting that my first post from this box be to COLA, Many of
you suffered with me through the ordeal of setting it up.

Some first impressions from a long time Win2K user:

Not sure about KNode for news yet, so far it doesn't feel as convenient as
Agent.it's too early to make final judgements though.

Ethereal is doing, its thing, and KMail seems to sub nicely for my normal
Eudora/Outlook combination.

I'm still undecided on how I feel about Konqueror as a file manager, my raw
first impressions are quite mixed, it's definitely different from Windows
Explorer. and "different" can go either way.

All in all though I'm quite pleased, and am looking forward to having a
torrid affair with SuSE.

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by mjt » Fri, 10 May 2002 07:25:54

> Thought it only fitting that my first post from this box be to COLA, Many of
> you suffered with me through the ordeal of setting it up.

yea, and i noticed a new sig-line :)) anyway,
onward through the fog ....

Quote:> Some first impressions from a long time Win2K user:

> Not sure about KNode for news yet, so far it doesn't feel as convenient as
> Agent.it's too early to make final judgements though.

yep, there are things to add to it, but let's
face it, we just need to type some text and
that's about it. as it's been mentioned before
by others, the scoring/filtering thing needs
some rework, but i find it fitting for me. when
i get tired of a thread, "i"; if i dont like
someone, go to "filters".

slrn would be a good option. i've toyed with
"pan" - it has a way to go, but is promising.
(although i'm more of a kde fan).

Quote:> Ethereal is doing, its thing, and KMail seems to sub nicely for my normal
> Eudora/Outlook combination.

i use kmail for all my mail needs and it seems
to be just what i need (type text and send off).

Quote:> I'm still undecided on how I feel about Konqueror as a file manager, my raw
> first impressions are quite mixed, it's definitely different from Windows
> Explorer. and "different" can go either way.

as with most humans :), it's an "adjustment" factor.
if you've been driving a sedan and now drive a
sports car, the adjustment is understandable (it's
called "culture shock")

Quote:> All in all though I'm quite pleased, and am looking forward to having a
> torrid affair with SuSE.

i've been churning back-n-forth between SuSE
and Mandy, spending more time in SuSE - it's
all about learning the distro you think you
might like the best :))

one thing i know, SuSE is VERY overwhelming with
the applications provided for a mere $80us !!!
additionally, there is a hidden power behind SuSE,
which is revealed over time :))

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
+==================================

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by Bob Youn » Fri, 10 May 2002 08:43:30

>> Thought it only fitting that my first post from this box be to COLA, Many
>> of you suffered with me through the ordeal of setting it up.

> yea, and i noticed a new sig-line

Yeah, I wanted something a little different, it's still not really what I
want, but it will do for the time being until I can tailor something
more....something.

Speaking of sigs, I noticed there is no hope of getting right hand column
alignment unless the client is set to use a fixed font. I assume that's why
you're sig has no right side border characters. What do most Linux clients
default to fixed or variable width fonts? IOW, should I just abandon right
hand border characters?

Quote:

>> Some first impressions from a long time Win2K user:

>> Not sure about KNode for news yet, so far it doesn't feel as convenient
>> as Agent.it's too early to make final judgments though.

> yep, there are things to add to it, but let's
> face it, we just need to type some text and
> that's about it.

It seems functional, It may very well be that I just don't know how to use
it well enough yet, but my first impressions put it waaay too close to
Outlook Express. I consider OE to be one of the most brain dead news
clients on the face of the planet, absolutely free, and worth every penny
of it.

Quote:> slrn would be a good option. i've toyed with
> "pan" - it has a way to go, but is promising.
> (although i'm more of a kde fan).

I guess I'll have to try those, I think the one single feature I refuse to
do without is the ability to select a random group of messages, and with a
single press of the delete, key have them all permanently go away. I don't
want to "hide" them with "filter read," I want them gone. So far I don't
see how to do this in KNode.

On a side note, KNode gets a black mark for crashing on me, (without saving
news group list btw). It happened shortly after I sent that first post. I'm
not saying that apps never crash on my Win2K box, but it is a very very
rare event.

Quote:>> I'm still undecided on how I feel about Konqueror as a file manager, my
>> raw first impressions are quite mixed, it's definitely different from
>> Windows Explorer. and "different" can go either way.

> as with most humans :), it's an "adjustment" factor.
> if you've been driving a sedan and now drive a
> sports car, the adjustment is understandable (it's
> called "culture shock")

That's fair, god knows I've got a lot to learn about the nuances and subtle
differences.

Quote:>> All in all though I'm quite pleased, and am looking forward to having a
>> torrid affair with SuSE.

> there is a hidden power behind SuSE,
> which is revealed over time :))

I don't speak German, but I have actually been to Germany. Not really
relevant, but probably as valid as many of the other choices that we make
regarding things that exist in the either.

Besides, I like my OS having a name that sounds like a woman <G>.

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by Jim Richardso » Fri, 10 May 2002 08:43:11

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by mjt » Fri, 10 May 2002 09:08:23

>>> Thought it only fitting that my first post from this box be to COLA, Many
>>> of you suffered with me through the ordeal of setting it up.

>> yea, and i noticed a new sig-line

> Yeah, I wanted something a little different, it's still not really what I
> want, but it will do for the time being until I can tailor something
> more....something.

> Speaking of sigs, I noticed there is no hope of getting right hand column
> alignment unless the client is set to use a fixed font. I assume that's why
> you're sig has no right side border characters. What do most Linux clients
> default to fixed or variable width fonts? IOW, should I just abandon right
> hand border characters?

yea, i dont know what to tell ya there. personally,
for simple text stuff like email/USENET, i absolutely
HATE proportional fonts. i have a bad habit of trying
to get my "text columns" even (and manually). i noticed
the sig "box" looks AWEFULL when in a proportional view,
so, as you say, i chopped the right side. i dont know,
i'm not much of an artist, not sure what else i can do :))
(or anyone else for that matter :)

Quote:>>> Some first impressions from a long time Win2K user:

>>> Not sure about KNode for news yet, so far it doesn't feel as convenient
>>> as Agent.it's too early to make final judgments though.

>> yep, there are things to add to it, but let's
>> face it, we just need to type some text and
>> that's about it.

> It seems functional, It may very well be that I just don't know how to use
> it well enough yet, but my first impressions put it waaay too close to
> Outlook Express. I consider OE to be one of the most brain dead news
> clients on the face of the planet, absolutely free, and worth every penny
> of it.

cough cough ... have you seen Ximian Evolution ?!?!?
talk about "lookin' like a ms product". whew. yes,
oe is VERY brain dead. i had another conversation with
my brother tonite (the one with the ms paper clip
incident) and he seems to favor the top posting nature
of things (he's an artist, so i have to give him a
break every now and again :))  anyway, i will convert
him, ONE DAY.  all kidding aside, it goes back to what
i said earlier today, "people just use ms stuff and
think whatever it does is right", but most dont realize
that windows products dont do things correctly :))

Quote:>> slrn would be a good option. i've toyed with
>> "pan" - it has a way to go, but is promising.
>> (although i'm more of a kde fan).

> I guess I'll have to try those, I think the one single feature I refuse to
> do without is the ability to select a random group of messages, and with a
> single press of the delete, key have them all permanently go away. I don't
> want to "hide" them with "filter read," I want them gone. So far I don't
> see how to do this in KNode.

click on the top-level thread and hit 'i',
for "ignore thread".

Quote:> On a side note, KNode gets a black mark for crashing on me, (without saving
> news group list btw). It happened shortly after I sent that first post. I'm
> not saying that apps never crash on my Win2K box, but it is a very very
> rare event.

rare indeed, i've never had it happen to me.

Quote:>>> I'm still undecided on how I feel about Konqueror as a file manager, my
>>> raw first impressions are quite mixed, it's definitely different from
>>> Windows Explorer. and "different" can go either way.

>> as with most humans :), it's an "adjustment" factor.
>> if you've been driving a sedan and now drive a
>> sports car, the adjustment is understandable (it's
>> called "culture shock")

> That's fair, god knows I've got a lot to learn about the nuances and subtle
> differences.

>>> All in all though I'm quite pleased, and am looking forward to having a
>>> torrid affair with SuSE.

>> there is a hidden power behind SuSE,
>> which is revealed over time :))

> I don't speak German, but I have actually been to Germany. Not really
> relevant, but probably as valid as many of the other choices that we make
> regarding things that exist in the either.

> Besides, I like my OS having a name that sounds like a woman <G>.

hehehe. actually, my Mom was borne in Germany, which
pretty much makes me German (was borne here in houston).
hate to burst your bubble, but ....

Q: "What does "SuSE" mean, and how do you pronounce it?
A: SuSE, pronounced soo'-suh, comes from the German acronym,
   "Software und Systementwicklung (Software and System Development)."

--
+==================================

Post by Joseph Ha » Fri, 10 May 2002 12:11:55

> I'm still undecided on how I feel about Konqueror as a file manager, my raw
> first impressions are quite mixed, it's definitely different from Windows
> Explorer. and "different" can go either way.

One of the main differences you will find is the way the file sytem is
organised, although this is not in itself a feature of Konqueror.
Once you have got over the fact that there is no A:, C: and D: drives
(and/or E:, N:, P:, Z:, etc.) things should be a lot more comfortable.

Quote:> All in all though I'm quite pleased, and am looking forward to having a
> torrid affair with SuSE.

I hope it is not too torrid.  I'm still using version 7.1 but I have
been told that SuSE have put a lot of effort into making it more user
friendly.

Bye,

Joe

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by Johan Lindquis » Fri, 10 May 2002 12:29:17

Thu, 09 May 2002 at 09:08 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

Quote:> i noticed the sig "box" looks AWEFULL when in a proportional view,
> so, as you say, i chopped the right side. i dont know, i'm not much
> of an artist, not sure what else i can do :))

Here ya go:

     Michael J. Tobler - motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver and author
       Authorship: "Inside Linux", "C++ Unleashed", "C++ How-To"

You're welcome.

cheers,

     /Johan

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
 12:25pm  up 3 days, 18:03,  2 users,  load average: 1.28, 1.27, 1.28

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by Jan Sabb » Fri, 10 May 2002 12:59:02

> cough cough ... have you seen Ximian Evolution ?!?!? talk about "lookin'
> like a ms product".

It may look a bit like oe, but Evolution is definetly a good product.
Having Virtual Folders, Calendar/LDAP support, handles large mailboxes
very well.. IMO it's one of the best mail-clients available. Btw, if you
disable the shortcut-bar, and set the sticky-icon on the folder-bar, it
looks a lot better.

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by Mart van de Weg » Fri, 10 May 2002 13:09:51

>> cough cough ... have you seen Ximian Evolution ?!?!? talk about
>> "lookin' like a ms product".

> It may look a bit like oe, but Evolution is definetly a good product.
> Having Virtual Folders, Calendar/LDAP support, handles large mailboxes
> very well.. IMO it's one of the best mail-clients available. Btw, if you
> disable the shortcut-bar, and set the sticky-icon on the folder-bar, it
> looks a lot better.

Seen my screenshot, haven't you?

http://home.wanadoo.nl/~mvdwege/

(Warning! large PNG files)

Mart

--
There'll be no prisoners taken when the day is done
No flag or uniform ever stopped a bullet from a gun

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by kickah » Fri, 10 May 2002 14:12:58

> Thought it only fitting that my first post from this box be to COLA, Many
> of you suffered with me through the ordeal of setting it up.

> Some first impressions from a long time Win2K user:

> Not sure about KNode for news yet, so far it doesn't feel as convenient as
> Agent.it's too early to make final judgements though.

> Ethereal is doing, its thing, and KMail seems to sub nicely for my normal
> Eudora/Outlook combination.

> I'm still undecided on how I feel about Konqueror as a file manager, my
> raw first impressions are quite mixed, it's definitely different from
> Windows Explorer. and "different" can go either way.

> All in all though I'm quite pleased, and am looking forward to having a
> torrid affair with SuSE.

Glad to hear you've gotten your problems resolved, Bob.
I'm too new to offer an official welcome to COLA,
but it's good that you're up and running.

I kinda like knode. I have to RTFM to figure out how scoring actually works
in it, but it suits the need.

I use Midnight Commander for my file mgr, when I want GUI file work. Mostly
for re-naming mp3 files to preserve album order when I legally rip my own
personal CD collection (DMCA-prevention disclaimer), and it works well.

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by D. C. Session » Fri, 10 May 2002 16:16:31

>> cough cough ... have you seen Ximian Evolution ?!?!? talk about "lookin'
>> like a ms product".

> It may look a bit like oe, but Evolution is definetly a good product.
> Having Virtual Folders, Calendar/LDAP support, handles large mailboxes
> very well.. IMO it's one of the best mail-clients available. Btw, if you
> disable the shortcut-bar, and set the sticky-icon on the folder-bar, it
> looks a lot better.

Evo is so faithful an ms-clone that it insists on wrapping
quoted text -- and there is AFAICT *no* way to disable that
particular "feature."

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by mjt » Fri, 10 May 2002 17:33:13

>> I'm still undecided on how I feel about Konqueror as a file manager, my raw
>> first impressions are quite mixed, it's definitely different from Windows
>> Explorer. and "different" can go either way.

> One of the main differences you will find is the way the file sytem is
> organised, although this is not in itself a feature of Konqueror.
> Once you have got over the fact that there is no A:, C: and D: drives
> (and/or E:, N:, P:, Z:, etc.) things should be a lot more comfortable.

that's not a konquerer thing, but a SuSE thing.
during install, SuSE runs around all your hard
disk(s) and searches out any partitions, whatever
they are, then creates a directory structure as
seen fit by SuSE. personally, i dont like the
results: i have directories "data1" thru "data8"
off the root (which coincide to other Linux type
partitions) and a "windows" partition off of
root, which then contains subdirectories that
coincide to the various win/dos partitions. i
appreciate SuSE doing it for me, i just want to
be able to intervene the step and put everything
under /mnt :))

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
+==================================

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by mjt » Fri, 10 May 2002 17:33:13

> Thu, 09 May 2002 at 09:08 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

>> i noticed the sig "box" looks AWEFULL when in a proportional view,
>> so, as you say, i chopped the right side. i dont know, i'm not much
>> of an artist, not sure what else i can do :))

> Here ya go:

>      Michael J. Tobler - motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver and author
>        Authorship: "Inside Linux", "C++ Unleashed", "C++ How-To"

> You're welcome.

hey Johan, that's pretty cool ... !

how would that look in a proportional
font, such as helvetica ?!??!

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
+==================================

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by Johan Lindquis » Fri, 10 May 2002 18:29:12

Thu, 09 May 2002 at 17:33 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

>> Thu, 09 May 2002 at 09:08 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

>>> i noticed the sig "box" looks AWEFULL when in a proportional view,
>>> so, as you say, i chopped the right side. i dont know, i'm not much
>>> of an artist, not sure what else i can do :))

>> Here ya go:

>>      Michael J. Tobler - motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver and author
>>        Authorship: "Inside Linux", "C++ Unleashed", "C++ How-To"

> hey Johan, that's pretty cool ... !

Thanks. Just an idea tho. ;)

Quote:> how would that look in a proportional font, such as helvetica ?!??!

Like crap. :)

cheers,

     /Johan

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  6:24pm  up 4 days, 2 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.04, 1.21, 1.17

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on ?

Post by Bob Youn » Fri, 10 May 2002 18:28:16

On Thu, 09 May 2002 07:08:23 GMT, mjt

>> Besides, I like my OS having a name that sounds like a woman <G>.

>hehehe. actually, my Mom was borne in Germany, which
>pretty much makes me German (was borne here in houston).
>hate to burst your bubble, but ....

>Q: "What does "SuSE" mean, and how do you pronounce it?
>A: SuSE, pronounced soo'-suh, comes from the German acronym,
>   "Software und Systementwicklung (Software and System Development)."

No worries, my bubble is still intact, denial is a powerful thing. :}

I'd never allow a simple fact to intrude on my desire to determine the
gender of my OS. <vbg>

--
Bob Young
Sr. Software Engineer

1. help using tap device

Hi,
I'm trying to pass ethernet frames from a user process over the wire,
using the linux tap device. I see a lot of docs/threads about using tun
device, but none for tap device.
If there are multiple physical interfaces, om which phy dev is a
message sent out, that is eritten using the tun device?
Does anything need to be configured (like iptables??) or just open a a
tap device, and write to this?

thanks

2. Installing/Learning DOS/Linux (Unix)?

3. WWW access to TAP paging protocol

4. Help: X Window System and Root

5. Using tap/tun

6. 3com 3C905

7. PS/2 Mouse-Touchpad on Laptop drivers for 'tapping' instead of clicking

8. q: Sound on Compaq XL ?

9. cheap network sniffer for use with e/net tap?

10. Cirrus Logic PX 4072 + 5446 TV-Tap

11. Simulating large ethernets with TAPs and bridging

12. reliable markers (hooks/probes/taps/...)

13. diald tap errors and others