What are you going to do when Hurd comes out ?

What are you going to do when Hurd comes out ?

Post by Thomas Phipp » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:21:39

Quote:> Are you going to dump Linux ?

> Does Hurd appeal more then Linux for philosophical reasons ?

> or because Stallman says

> "The Hurd kernel of FSF's GNU system is more powerful than Linux
> because it is designed using a microkernel instead of a monolithic
> architecture"

> Sam

I"ll stick with linux ...

more aplications ;-p how ever i will give hurd a try ...
just like I did for plan9 .. and beos .. and thx-32 ..
and windows
--
mu.lvcm.com 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 i686 AuthenticAMD
Bootup: Fri Jul 19 17:08:14 2002    Load average: 0.02 0.06 0.08

Post by cybea » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:35:55

> Are you going to dump Linux ?

> Does Hurd appeal more then Linux for philosophical reasons ?

> or because Stallman says

> "The Hurd kernel of FSF's GNU system is more powerful than Linux
> because it is designed using a microkernel instead of a monolithic
> architecture"

> Sam

Depends. I'll give it a try. If I like it, I'll go with it. Stallman has
done a lot for the open source community but I don't agree with a lot of
what he says.

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 07:04:13

> > Are you going to dump Linux ?

> > Does Hurd appeal more then Linux for philosophical reasons ?

> > or because Stallman says

> > "The Hurd kernel of FSF's GNU system is more powerful than Linux
> > because it is designed using a microkernel instead of a monolithic
> > architecture"

> > Sam

> Depends. I'll give it a try. If I like it, I'll go with it. Stallman has
> done a lot for the open source community but I don't agree with a lot of
> what he says.

Also, apparently, they still haven't worked around a number of
limitations + it lacks ALOT of drivers.

Matthew Gardiner

What are you going to do when Hurd comes out ?

Post by rapska » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 07:09:41

Error Log for Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:16:59 -0400: segfault in module "Sam
Richards" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Are you going to dump Linux ?

> Does Hurd appeal more then Linux for philosophical reasons ?

> or because Stallman says

> "The Hurd kernel of FSF's GNU system is more powerful than Linux because
> it is designed using a microkernel instead of a monolithic architecture"

"Comes out"?  I was under the impression that it has already been out for
quite some time now.

--
rapskat -   1:05am  up 21:56,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.28, 0.30
CPU states: 22.7% user, 14.0% system,  0.0% nice,  8.8% idle

A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and
ask for it back the when it begins to rain.
                -- Robert Frost

What are you going to do when Hurd comes out ?

Post by Marada C. Shradraka » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 08:21:31

I'll probably try it when it supports my hardware (if I can't use xawtv, I
can't use an OS :) )  If it can be configured similar to Slackware GNU/Linux
and offers passable performance, I might switch.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
There is a precedent for the DMCA and CBDTPA.   In 1896, the

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:47:45

> Are you going to dump Linux ?

Have you been living in a cave?  Hello?  There have been other free
unices besides Linux for many years now.  So what if Hurd comes out?
It'll be yet another *nix system, and that's exactly what *nix systems
are:  a family of operating systems resembling a certain OS invented
at ATT Bell Labs back in the late 60's.  I'd say it'd be a welcome
addition to the family.

What family of OSes does Windows belong to?

Post by Simon Cook » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 10:31:10

> Are you going to dump Linux ?

> Does Hurd appeal more then Linux for philosophical reasons ?

> or because Stallman says

> "The Hurd kernel of FSF's GNU system is more powerful than Linux
> because it is designed using a microkernel instead of a monolithic
> architecture"

I guess he and Torvalds are going to go head-to-head on that particular
argument; he already hates the Mach kernel for the exact reason that
it's a microkernel.

Fact is, I also happen to agree with him to an extent;

Benefits of a microkernel:

The kernel is simpler.

Benefits of a monolithic architecture:

The kernl is faster, and more highly optimizable.

Simon

What are you going to do when Hurd comes out ?

Post by Sinister Midge » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:30:15

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:47:45 -0500, Donn Miller claimed:

Quote:> What family of OSes does Windows belong to?

Fisher Price, Mattel, Hasbro.

--
"Warning: 10 days have passed since
your last Windows reinstall."

What are you going to do when Hurd comes out ?

Post by GeneralP » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:36:08

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 04:30:15 -0500, Sinister Midget assert()ed:

Quote:> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:47:45 -0500, Donn Miller claimed:

>> What family of OSes does Windows belong to?

> Fisher Price, Mattel, Hasbro.

Ford, Chrysler, General Motors.

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:08:12

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 04:30:15 -0500, Sinister Midget assert()ed:

>>On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:47:45 -0500, Donn Miller claimed:

>>>What family of OSes does Windows belong to?

>>Fisher Price, Mattel, Hasbro.

> Ford, Chrysler, General Motors.

Well, maybe just Ford and Chrysler. :)  GM cars have been pretty
reliable for me.

Post by Paul Robso » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:14:30

> What family of OSes does Windows belong to?

The Sopranos

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:19:12

> > On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 04:30:15 -0500, Sinister Midget assert()ed:

> >>On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:47:45 -0500, Donn Miller claimed:

> >>Fisher Price, Mattel, Hasbro.

> > Ford, Chrysler, General Motors.

> Well, maybe just Ford and Chrysler. :)  GM cars have been pretty
> reliable for me.

Na, Microsoft is the Skoda of the car industry.  One day it will get to
the level of the Volga of the car industry.

As for cars, I don't mind the cars that are coming out of Korea these
days. My one has been fairly reliable.

Matthew Gardiner

Post by Paul Robso » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:20:31

> Na, Microsoft is the Skoda of the car industry.??One?day?it?will?get?to
> the level of the Volga of the car industry.

Unfair on Skoda. Their new cars are good, but the old ones, for all their
clunkiness, were pretty solid.

Microsoft Car...... DeLorean ? Flash pointless add ons and doesn't go
properly ?

Quote:> As for cars, I don't mind the cars that are coming out of Korea these
> days. My one has been fairly reliable

Daewoo Matiz rocks !

Q for linguists: What is the plural of "Daewoo Matiz" ?

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:32:43

> > Na, Microsoft is the Skoda of the car industry.  One day it will get to
> > the level of the Volga of the car industry.

> Unfair on Skoda. Their new cars are good, but the old ones, for all their
> clunkiness, were pretty solid.

> Microsoft Car...... DeLorean ? Flash pointless add ons and doesn't go
> properly ?

I've seen the latest Volga, apparently they're now going for the retro
1950's look, kinda like a Crysler thing they released a while back.

Quote:> > As for cars, I don't mind the cars that are coming out of Korea these
> > days. My one has been fairly reliable

> Daewoo Matiz rocks !

> Q for linguists: What is the plural of "Daewoo Matiz" ?

Don't know ;) Haven't been released yet. It it probably the same type of
car here, except with a different name.

Matthew Gardiner

http://mach-linux.org/

-----.

--
"Hell, rocket science isn't even rocket science"
--A NASA rocket scientist, undernet, circa 1996

1. Where am I coming from

I would prefer **NOT** going into a shaggy dog story of why I need this.
  I has to do with starting up a remote X display server and network
tunnels.

Here is the problem.

 From a PC, (which has both rsh and rexec) I need to rsh (or rexec) to a
(generic) Unix host and start xterm (pr other X app).  Unix need to
"figure out" the address of the host I "appear" (that is important) to
be coming from.

rsh does not do a "complete" login so no info is stored in utmp/wtmp so
neither w nor finger won't give me the "right answer" (It does tell me
correctly, where I last rlogin or telnet'd from !)

rexec seem to work the same way.

If I can't do this with normal shell scripting, what C lib call(s) would
return the IP address of where i'm logging in from, before I have
completed the loggin ?

--

Jack Patteeuw

2. Slow browsing with NT 4.0 on Samba-share after upgrade to sp6

3. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

4. problems wiht XF86 800x600

5. The bug that comes and goes...

6. White Paper on the Linux kernel VM?

7. Proc fs

8. X goes up fine but comes down bad

9. @Home Network connection goes down, comes back up when I kill and re-start dhcpcd

10. why monitor goes crazy for 1 second before x windwos comes up

11. ext2fs floppy comes and goes

12. Konquerer 3.1.0 - right scrollbar comes and goes