Who makes more $$ - Windows vs. Unix programm

Post by Terry McLe » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> MC> many unix adm
> MC> inistrators
> MC> may be biased against Windows.

> Anyone with A BRAIN is biased against Windows.

I totally agree. One more reason why Unix programmers make considerably
more money is that if someone got a brain, s/he goes for Unix. Windows
with its silly "GUI only" interface is for mentally impaired. To call
programming silly GUI interfaces "programming" is a mistake.

Simple comparison between productivity of Unix users and Windoze users
speaks for itself. How much time do you spend clicking buttons instead of
pressing one key?

Terry.

Who makes more $$ - Windows vs. Unix programm

Post by Vic Heal » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>Simple comparison between productivity of Unix users and Windoze users
>speaks for itself. How much time do you spend clicking buttons instead of
>pressing one key?

Terry if you want to follow your WARPED logic to the full...
A real HE MAN programs a computer in binary with and on/off switch
instead of a keyboard. <smile>

As for me and my associates we will stick to a gui interface and leave
the HE MAN stuff to you guys. <smile>

Healey and Associates

1. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

The C standard dictates that SEEK_SET, SEEK_CUR and SEEK_END (among others)
must be #defined in stdio.h.  This is not a POSIX requirement.  The only
POSIX constraints on stdio.h are that it must #define L_ctermid and
STREAM_MAX and declare fdopen() and fileno() if _POSIX_SOURCE is #defined.
It may optionally #define L_cuserid if _POSIX_SOURCE is #defined.

POSIX 1003.1 _does_ however, require that unistd.h #define SEEK_SET &c if
_POSIX_SOURCE is #defined.  Thus, if you desire POSIX conformance, #include
unistd.h.

Are you sure about the SunOS headers?  Here's a test I ran on my SPARC at
work:

% fgrep SEEK_SET /usr/include/unistd.h
#ifndef SEEK_SET
#define SEEK_SET        0       /* Set file pointer to "offset" */
% uname -a
SunOS epimbe 4.1.1 1 sun4c

Perhaps they've moved unistd.h to /usr/5include since 4.1.1??

I do agree on this, and am rapidly tiring of system dependencies being
handled by #ifdefs.

I've found the "POSIX Programmer's Guide" (Donald Lewine, O'Reilly, ISBN
0-937175-73-0) to be priceless.  I strongly recommend this book to anyone
using C, whether they be UNIX programmers or not (but particularly if they
are).  It not only helps understand "what is defined where and by which
standard", but also helps programmers to "Do the Right Thing" by clarifying
what is POSIX conformant and what is historical baggage.

Jim Vlcek                         UNIX for $166!
uunet!molly!vlcek                 Novell UnixWare from Information Foundation

2. tool to discover some non-firewalled TCP ports?

3. Who makes more $$ - Windows vs. Unix programmers?

4. Parallel Port Networking

5. Ammo to ditch NT 4.0 SBS

6. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

7. Session Data in multiple browser windows: Configuration of Unix vs. Windows Apache?

8. Linux V.S. Windows NT V.S. Windows 95

9. File Server for Windows clients (was: Window NT vs x86 solaris vs SCO?)