Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Frank T. Lofar » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Here's a weird one:

US Patent 5,819,372 issued Oct. 13, 1998, filed Dec. 23, 1996

It's a patent by Microsoft (yes, THE Microsoft, Bill Gates, Redmond
WA) for a DOOR HINGE!

I don't know what to make of this!

Apparently Microsoft will patent things very far from their "core"
business.

I found it while searching for all Microsoft patents on
www.patents.ibm.com. 717 in total as of now (including this one).

I guess Linux probably doesn't infringe this one at least.

See:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Here's some of the blurb from there:

*hinge with integrally formed *straps (US5819372)
Inventor(s): Magoon; Robert Dean , Duluth, GA
Applicant(s): Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA
Issued/Filed Dates: Oct. 13, 1998 / Dec. 23, 1996
Application Number: US1996000771868

By the way, www.patents.ibm.com is a VERY good service and they
update really quickly. Patent US5828885 was issued 27-OCT-1998
and was available on 09-NOV-1998, and quite likely earlier.

IBM is doing a great service with this site.

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Con Tik » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

 Yea gods. Someone has flipped the chicken to issue / apply for that
one.
thx.

--
     "Monkey see, Monkey do."
    "OUCH~OUCH~OUCH" >>>>>  C/T<<<<

     See: http://www.veryComputer.com/ + http://www.veryComputer.com/
<script language="JavaScript">
if (window.navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") {
location.href = "http://www.veryComputer.com/;; }
</script>

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Jonatha » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Here's a weird one:

> US Patent 5,819,372 issued Oct. 13, 1998, filed Dec. 23, 1996

> It's a patent by Microsoft (yes, THE Microsoft, Bill Gates, Redmond
> WA) for a DOOR HINGE!

> I don't know what to make of this!

> Apparently Microsoft will patent things very far from their "core"
> business.

Largely, it is the number of patents, not what they cover, that count in
court.  The more patents a company has in its portfolio, the better.
<snip>
Quote:> Here's some of the blurb from there:

> *hinge with integrally formed *straps (US5819372)
> Inventor(s): Magoon; Robert Dean , Duluth, GA
> Applicant(s): Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA
> Issued/Filed Dates: Oct. 13, 1998 / Dec. 23, 1996
> Application Number: US1996000771868

Damn!  And I was thinking of submitting this for the 2.2 kernel!

Do you suppose we can reverse-engineer the *hinge?

Regards,
Jonathan

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Mark Woodwar » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Bill G. probably had some idiot design a hinge just for his new house.

> Here's a weird one:

> US Patent 5,819,372 issued Oct. 13, 1998, filed Dec. 23, 1996

> It's a patent by Microsoft (yes, THE Microsoft, Bill Gates, Redmond
> WA) for a DOOR HINGE!

> I don't know what to make of this!

> Apparently Microsoft will patent things very far from their "core"
> business.

> I found it while searching for all Microsoft patents on
> www.patents.ibm.com. 717 in total as of now (including this one).

> I guess Linux probably doesn't infringe this one at least.

> See:

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Here's some of the blurb from there:

> *hinge with integrally formed *straps (US5819372)
> Inventor(s): Magoon; Robert Dean , Duluth, GA
> Applicant(s): Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA
> Issued/Filed Dates: Oct. 13, 1998 / Dec. 23, 1996
> Application Number: US1996000771868

> By the way, www.patents.ibm.com is a VERY good service and they
> update really quickly. Patent US5828885 was issued 27-OCT-1998
> and was available on 09-NOV-1998, and quite likely earlier.

> IBM is doing a great service with this site.

--
Mohawk Software
Expert Solutions Now! Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX,

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Bob Tenne » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

 >US Patent 5,819,372 issued Oct. 13, 1998, filed Dec. 23, 1996
 >
 >It's a patent by Microsoft (yes, THE Microsoft, Bill Gates, Redmond
 >WA) for a DOOR HINGE!
 >
 >I found it while searching for all Microsoft patents on
 >www.patents.ibm.com. 717 in total as of now (including this one).
 >
 >I guess Linux probably doesn't infringe this one at least.

Please tell us about the patents that Linux *might* "infringe"!
The patent gambit is a *serious* worry.  M$ can afford unlimited
use of lawyers; the open-source community can't.

Bob T.

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Alan » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Bill G. probably had some idiot design a hinge just for his new house.

Naw, I bet an MS employee had a bright idea for a new kind of hidge,
told his manager about it and Bingo, MS had a patent.  Probably some IP
rights clause in his contract.

> > Here's a weird one:

> > US Patent 5,819,372 issued Oct. 13, 1998, filed Dec. 23, 1996

> > It's a patent by Microsoft (yes, THE Microsoft, Bill Gates, Redmond
> > WA) for a DOOR HINGE!

> > I don't know what to make of this!

> > Apparently Microsoft will patent things very far from their "core"
> > business.

> > I found it while searching for all Microsoft patents on
> > www.patents.ibm.com. 717 in total as of now (including this one).

> > I guess Linux probably doesn't infringe this one at least.

> > See:

> > http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > Here's some of the blurb from there:

> > *hinge with integrally formed *straps (US5819372)
> > Inventor(s): Magoon; Robert Dean , Duluth, GA
> > Applicant(s): Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA
> > Issued/Filed Dates: Oct. 13, 1998 / Dec. 23, 1996
> > Application Number: US1996000771868

> > By the way, www.patents.ibm.com is a VERY good service and they
> > update really quickly. Patent US5828885 was issued 27-OCT-1998
> > and was available on 09-NOV-1998, and quite likely earlier.

> > IBM is doing a great service with this site.

> --
> Mohawk Software
> Expert Solutions Now! Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX,
> Linux. Applications, drivers, support.
> Visit the Mohawk Software website: www.mohawksoft.com

--
"I don't believe in anti-anything.  A man has to have a
program; you have to be *for* something, otherwise you

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Christopher Brow » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Bill G. probably had some idiot design a hinge just for his new house.
>> US Patent 5,819,372 issued Oct. 13, 1998, filed Dec. 23, 1996

>> It's a patent by Microsoft (yes, THE Microsoft, Bill Gates, Redmond
>> WA) for a DOOR HINGE!

Apparently people have forgotten that Microsoft sells hardware.

Mice, keyboards, game controls, and the likes.

If they're noted for making particularly unreliable software, this has
not so strongly influenced the quality of their hardware.  MS Mice are
fairly well designed.

It seems likely to me that the hinge patent came out of the design
efforts for some bit of physical equipment such as a game controller.

The presumption that the hinge has anything to do with a door displays
a lack of careful thinking.  Doors are *not* the only thing out there
that use hinges; many sorts of mechanical devices use hinges.
--
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Toon Moen » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>  >I guess Linux probably doesn't infringe this one at least.
> Please tell us about the patents that Linux *might* "infringe"!
> The patent gambit is a *serious* worry.  M$ can afford unlimited
> use of lawyers; the open-source community can't.

The Linux community can afford unlimited developer time to program around
patents.

--

Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG  Maartensdijk, The Netherlands
Phone: +31 346 214290; Fax: +31 346 214286

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Jim » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>> Bill G. probably had some idiot design a hinge just for his new house.

>Naw, I bet an MS employee had a bright idea for a new kind of hidge,
>told his manager about it and Bingo, MS had a patent.  Probably some IP
>rights clause in his contract.

Virtually everyone that works for a major high-tech firm had to sign an IP
waiver when they joined the company.  That is just a condition of employment.
On the other hand, the company generally pays all the costs of getting the
patent and some even pay the employee some money.

If you want to get rich off a patent, you probably have to be unemployed when
you come up with the idea and pay all the patent costs yourself.

Jim G.

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Jim » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>  >I guess Linux probably doesn't infringe this one at least.

>> Please tell us about the patents that Linux *might* "infringe"!
>> The patent gambit is a *serious* worry.  M$ can afford unlimited
>> use of lawyers; the open-source community can't.

>The Linux community can afford unlimited developer time to program around
>patents.

After folks spend a lot of their own money to defend themselves in court, they
will be too busy trying to get out of debt to have any time for Linux.  Even
if cleaver folks can find a way around a patent, many folks will avoid
depending on the cleaver "trick" because there is a chance that years later,
the trick could turn out to be a trap.  The GIF situation is a fine example.

Prudent folks go way out of their way to keep themselves and their companies
from being at risk.  If someone found "infringing" code in Linux, the only
folks left using Linux would be a few MS-hating college students and some
"professional" hackers.  A well publicized law suit against a Linux developer
would do a lot to slow the Linux momentum and maybe even cause a hefty
retreat.

Is there "infringing" code in Linux?  Who knows, I doubt that any one has
looked at all the software patents and compared them to what is in Linux.

We will just have to wait and see if anyone files a lawsuit.

Jim G.

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Andrew Car » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>A well publicized law suit against a Linux developer
>would do a lot to slow the Linux momentum and maybe even cause a hefty
>retreat.

Microsoft could win the battle and lose the war.  That would be an
enormous PR loss to them that may translate into a legal loss down
the road if it Congress got involved.

Up to this point it's been rich giant against rich giant.  So the
public really doesn't get emoti*either way.  Let them
pick on Linux, and people may actually voice public support that something
be done.

Oh well....

--

(Remove the spam avoiding 'X' from my e-mail address)

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Toon Moen » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> >The Linux community can afford unlimited developer time to program around
> >patents.

> After folks spend a lot of their own money to defend themselves in court,
they
> will be too busy trying to get out of debt to have any time for Linux.
Even
> if cleaver folks can find a way around a patent, many folks will avoid
> depending on the cleaver "trick" because there is a chance that years
later,
> the trick could turn out to be a trap.

Well, obviously, I can't speak for other "Linux developers", but my way to
see if something I come up with is patented is to bragg about it in
comp.lang.fortran.  This way I learned that what I discussed in
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Jul/1034.html is already implemented (for
years) in Cray Fortran compilers (and possibly others, as it is also
discussed in a 1990 book by Hans Zima and Barbara Chapman (page 256 of
"Supercompilers for Parallel and Vector Computers").

Obviously, because it's described in a book, Cray (or rather SGI nowadays)
won't chase me for suggesting this optimisation to be added to egcs.

--

Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG  Maartensdijk, The Netherlands
Phone: +31 346 214290; Fax: +31 346 214286

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Twiste » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Apparently people have forgotten that Microsoft sells hardware.

>Mice, keyboards, game controls, and the likes.

>If they're noted for making particularly unreliable software, this has
>not so strongly influenced the quality of their hardware.  MS Mice are
>fairly well designed.

>It seems likely to me that the hinge patent came out of the design
>efforts for some bit of physical equipment such as a game controller.

>The presumption that the hinge has anything to do with a door displays
>a lack of careful thinking.  Doors are *not* the only thing out there
>that use hinges; many sorts of mechanical devices use hinges.

Obviously written by an engineer, or at least a mechanically-minded
person...thank god!
I was beginning to wonder if anyone in this chain of replies had a brain...

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Anthony O » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:25:39 -0600, Jonathan

<snip>
>> *hinge with integrally formed *straps (US5819372)
>> Inventor(s): Magoon; Robert Dean , Duluth, GA
>> Applicant(s): Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA
>> Issued/Filed Dates: Oct. 13, 1998 / Dec. 23, 1996
>> Application Number: US1996000771868

>Damn!  And I was thinking of submitting this for the 2.2 kernel!

>Do you suppose we can reverse-engineer the *hinge?

Does your *need hinging? Has it become unhinged? If so, you know
where to go. You owe it to your *to get the latest version though.

I could go on, but the jokes get worse.

Quote:>Regards,
>Jonathan

Regards

Anthony
|'All kids love log!'                                         |
|                                              Ren & Stimpy   |

Weird Microsoft patent!

Post by Michael McConnel » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> > Here's some of the blurb from there:

> > *hinge with integrally formed *straps (US5819372)
> > Inventor(s): Magoon; Robert Dean , Duluth, GA
> > Applicant(s): Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA
> > Issued/Filed Dates: Oct. 13, 1998 / Dec. 23, 1996
> > Application Number: US1996000771868

> Damn!  And I was thinking of submitting this for the 2.2 kernel!

> Do you suppose we can reverse-engineer the *hinge?

..and why the heck would ANYONE want a hinge for their butt?!

-- Soruk
#include <sigfile.h>        [M1CNV]           http://www.veryComputer.com/
DFAX: +44 (0)8701-600807    P2-333: Windows crashes faster!
Tel: +44 (0)403-627954      Linux: Because Windows95 is a pane in the glass..

1. Lycos Wins Spider Patent [was Re: Fight Software Patents (was Re: Software Patents & Copyright...)]

Read it and weep (be sure to highlight the whole url, which will likely
wrap):

http://www.infoseek.com/Content?col=NX&arn=a2636reuff-19980609&dbid=4...
SINESS&ak=news420&kt=A

Now, for the next 20 years, anyone who uses the simple, obvious "spider"
approach for indexing and/or searching the Internet must pay Lycos a
royalty, or suffer the consequences.

Bill House

2. mmap/shared memory and mutex/semaphores

3. Why does patent office grants such patents?

4. how do you send a break?

5. Microsoft Responds "RAND Patents: A great thing" (unexpected Richard Sallman disagrees)

6. USB Intel PC Cam.

7. Looking forward to the on comming Software Patent onslaught by Microsoft.

8. NE2000+ and AHA1542CF problems

9. Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes

10. Microsoft trying to patent the web

11. Microsoft Patents Open-Source

12. Microsoft targets Lucent patents

13. Microsoft Hires Former IBM Patent Lawyer, techWEB.com