X Locks up; Hell PR rep says, 'Its getting cold down here'

X Locks up; Hell PR rep says, 'Its getting cold down here'

Post by Bone » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 04:38:41

Whoa! It looks like I've had my first hard lock-up of X ever.

...So, there I was downloading junk off the gnutella network with Gnut, the
CLI gtella client. I decided to flip over to another vt and fire up X to do
some browsing with Netscape. Uh oh, the keyboard and the mouse stop
responding, (I can't kill X with Ctrl+Alt+BS, and Linux won't respond to the
three finger salute either.)

I regained my senses after the initial knee-jerk panic reaction and noticed
some things: The modem was still receiving data. Hmmm, looks like the kernel
and all the other processes are happily humming along. I was downloading a
large file (for a 28.8 modem connection), so I decided to let Gnut finish
its work. In the meantime, the screen saver kicked on -- more proof. Damn,
no working machine handy to ssh in and shutdown the box.

I hit the power switch after the download was done and thought about the
problem for a second. My dual boot box defaulted to Win95 in the process,
where it proceeded to lock up with nothing but an empty desktop and a
pointer. Ahhhh.... I'd been tinkering in the BIOS with IRQ settings before.
I power-cycled the machine again and went into the BIOS setup. Just as I
suspected, I had accidentally set IRQ 12 to only be used by 'ISA', so my
PS/2 mouse no longer had an IRQ.

I fixed the setting and booted the machine to Linux. Everything now works
wonderfully. Almost thought I had a real Linux problem for a few minutes
there. I feel so left out, I never have any problems with Linux.

----
Bones

X Locks up; Hell PR rep says, 'Its getting cold down here'

Post by mmnno » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:06:08

I had a pretty predictable lockup under XFree86 4.0 pushing
ctrl+alt+t1 to switch to a text console.  It didn't work every time,
but enough that couldn't use the functionality.  By 'lock up,'
I mean the keyboard didn't do anything.  I might have been
able to telnet in and kill X but didn't try.  This was using
perhaps the first version of the NVidia non-free driver.  After
getting an updated driver, which required X 4.0.1 (I got 4.0.2)
I experimented and haven't been able to repeat the problem.

> Whoa! It looks like I've had my first hard lock-up of X ever.

> ...So, there I was downloading junk off the gnutella network with Gnut,
> the CLI gtella client. I decided to flip over to another vt and fire up
> X to do some browsing with Netscape. Uh oh, the keyboard and the mouse
> stop responding, (I can't kill X with Ctrl+Alt+BS, and Linux won't
> respond to the three finger salute either.)

> I regained my senses after the initial knee-jerk panic reaction and
> noticed some things: The modem was still receiving data. Hmmm, looks
> like the kernel and all the other processes are happily humming along. I
> was downloading a large file (for a 28.8 modem connection), so I decided
> to let Gnut finish its work. In the meantime, the screen saver kicked on
> -- more proof. Damn, no working machine handy to ssh in and shutdown the
> box.

> I hit the power switch after the download was done and thought about the
> problem for a second. My dual boot box defaulted to Win95 in the
> process, where it proceeded to lock up with nothing but an empty desktop
> and a pointer. Ahhhh.... I'd been tinkering in the BIOS with IRQ
> settings before. I power-cycled the machine again and went into the BIOS
> setup. Just as I suspected, I had accidentally set IRQ 12 to only be
> used by
> 'ISA', so my PS/2 mouse no longer had an IRQ.

> I fixed the setting and booted the machine to Linux. Everything now
> works wonderfully. Almost thought I had a real Linux problem for a few
> minutes there. I feel so left out, I never have any problems with Linux.

> ----
> Bones

X Locks up; Hell PR rep says, 'Its getting cold down here'

Post by The Ghost In The Machi » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:26:05

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bones

 wrote
on Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:38:41 GMT

Quote:

>Whoa! It looks like I've had my first hard lock-up of X ever.

>...So, there I was downloading junk off the gnutella network with Gnut, the
>CLI gtella client. I decided to flip over to another vt and fire up X to do
>some browsing with Netscape. Uh oh, the keyboard and the mouse stop
>responding, (I can't kill X with Ctrl+Alt+BS, and Linux won't respond to the
>three finger salute either.)

I think that might be a glitch (or a feature?) somewhere in XFree86,
although I can't be 100% sure.  But X does seem to ignore the
classic three-finger salute.

I'm also assuming that CTRL-Fn didn't work either.  (X might not have
entered the event loop; it may have been waiting for a mouse response.
Hmm....)

Quote:

>I regained my senses after the initial knee-jerk panic reaction and noticed
>some things: The modem was still receiving data. Hmmm, looks like the kernel
>and all the other processes are happily humming along. I was downloading a
>large file (for a 28.8 modem connection), so I decided to let Gnut finish
>its work. In the meantime, the screen saver kicked on -- more proof. Damn,
>no working machine handy to ssh in and shutdown the box.

>I hit the power switch after the download was done and thought about the
>problem for a second.

I hope you waited for bdflush. :-)

Quote:>My dual boot box defaulted to Win95 in the process,
>where it proceeded to lock up with nothing but an empty desktop and a
>pointer. Ahhhh.... I'd been tinkering in the BIOS with IRQ settings before.
>I power-cycled the machine again and went into the BIOS setup. Just as I
>suspected, I had accidentally set IRQ 12 to only be used by 'ISA', so my
>PS/2 mouse no longer had an IRQ.

>I fixed the setting and booted the machine to Linux. Everything now works
>wonderfully. Almost thought I had a real Linux problem for a few minutes
>there. I feel so left out, I never have any problems with Linux.

Ah, a hardware problem!  That'll bring down any OS.

I'm glad it worked out, though.

Quote:

--

EAC code #191       0d:02h:59m actually running Linux.
                    The EAC doesn't exist, but they're still watching you.

Post by Tim » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 04:52:49

> Whoa! It looks like I've had my first hard lock-up of X ever.

>     (I can't kill X with Ctrl+Alt+BS, and Linux won't respond to the
> three finger salute

Just add

        # Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
        ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

to your /etc/inittab.

With linux anything is possible.

X Locks up; Hell PR rep says, 'Its getting cold down here'

Post by Richard J. Donova » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 05:04:14

You just ruined the point of my nominally humorous post to another
thread in here.  (If only you'd posted this yesterday.)

But thanks for the tip.

> > Whoa! It looks like I've had my first hard lock-up of X ever.

> >     (I can't kill X with Ctrl+Alt+BS, and Linux won't respond to the
> > three finger salute

> Just add

>         # Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
>         ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

> to your /etc/inittab.

> With linux anything is possible.

And that reminds me ... the motto of the State of Ohio, "With God All
Things Are Possible," has come under constitutional attack.  Sparing you
the details, I wonder whether we're not onto something.

  richardj.donovan.vcf
< 1K Download

1. 'mount' say NO iso9660 support and 'cat /proc/filesystems' say YES!!!

Hello

While I was fighting to get the CDROM (Sony CDU76E ATAPI CD) to be mounted
I found in the README file in device dir that the ATAPI CDs connected to the
second IDE interface should be drived by /dev/hdc, when I did and mount gives
this message

mount: iso9660 is not supported bt this kernel.

I installed InfoMagic Slakeware 2.2.1 (March 95 CDs).
While The kernel say it knows about the iso9660. I did

cat  /proc/filesystems

and iso9660 appeared as a block fs.

Before the /cdrom was linked to /dev/hd1a  ( done by the setup) and I was
getting the message

mount: /dev/hd1a is not a block device.

Any Clue.

I'm going to install the 1.2.10 kernel.

Thanks
Mostafa

2. Complete newbie question

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. classless routing under Solaris

5. select() says there's data, read() says there isn't

6. AGG! XFree86 Question

7. Where is masterplan?

8. 'finger' always says 'Never logger in'

9. setup one interface for 'up' and another one for 'down'

10. Down 'Solaris' NFS Server hangs 'Solaris' Client

11. Can't connect to net or ping gateway (was 'hell')

12. Linux hackers come out of the 'cold'