Linux: Lots Good, Some Bad

Post by Keith Peters » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What I've accomplished with linux the last two weeks:

Installed and tested JDK2.0 standard and enterprise editions.
Installed and tested IBM VisualAge for Java for Linux.
Installed and tested Postgresql.
Installed and tested Apache, Tomcat, et al..
Installed a mini-IDE called Jipe (love this little editor).
Created several classes and beans, including data access beans.
Began a side project in development for a local company.

With a few hiccups here and there (remedied in short order), everything went
pretty darn smoothly. Linux development tools have come a long way.

Flush with the success of my endeavours, Sunday night I decided it was about
time that I attempted to get my Midiman DIO-2448 digital sound card to work.
After all - the alsa project claimed to have a driver. They are even linked to
from the Delta home page at midiman.net.

What did I find?

The alsa documentation is terrible. Really, really bad. Finally, after
experiencing a heavy PITA factor, I got the drivers loaded. Result? I can
actually use the alsa driver to play audio - but I can't hear anything. Why?
Because the alsa mixer can't detect it's own driver running. Agh. I cannot
find a solution for this, so I am back to my original configuration, where my
sblive is supported through the default install, and the DIO-2448 is
unrecognized.

As has long been the case, development tools on linux rock - and what should
be simple system maintenance and accessibility is needlessly complicated and
arcane.

It's just as well, though. I keep Windows around for a lot of things these
days - one of which is digital audio editing. The tools that exist for linux -
which certainly number more than they did last year - are all pretty immature.
I get a little miffed with a number of advocates who simply don't understand
the concept of "the right tool for the job" - like the kill-filed "Jedi".

I will continue to dual boot. I am, however, extremely happy with the java
development tools on linux though - that simply made my week, I tell you.

Linux: Lots Good, Some Bad

Post by Nigel Feltha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>The alsa documentation is terrible. Really, really bad. Finally, after
>experiencing a heavy PITA factor, I got the drivers loaded. Result? I can
>actually use the alsa driver to play audio - but I can't hear anything.
Why?
>Because the alsa mixer can't detect it's own driver running. Agh. I cannot
>find a solution for this, so I am back to my original configuration, where
my
>sblive is supported through the default install, and the DIO-2448 is
>unrecognized.

Maybe someone here can offer help - it will probably help to know what linux
distribution you are running though.

Linux: Lots Good, Some Bad

Post by Keith Peters » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>>The alsa documentation is terrible. Really, really bad. Finally, after
>>experiencing a heavy PITA factor, I got the drivers loaded. Result? I can
>>actually use the alsa driver to play audio - but I can't hear anything.
>Why?
>>Because the alsa mixer can't detect it's own driver running. Agh. I cannot
>>find a solution for this, so I am back to my original configuration, where
>my
>>sblive is supported through the default install, and the DIO-2448 is
>>unrecognized.

>Maybe someone here can offer help - it will probably help to know what linux
>distribution you are running though.

I'm not gonna worry about it, mostly because, as I mentioned, the tools in
linux aren't up to the tasks at hand. So I'll just stick with the sblive for
the limited multimedia I do in linux, and continue to use the Windows software
for the audio mixing/editing.

I could spend a bunch of time and energy chasing it down, but in the end the
only benefit would be that I could route xmms through my mixer via digital
outs before sending the audio to my headphones.

When Steinberg, Sonic Foundry and the others get around to making linux
versions, I'll try it out. So far all the open source audio editing tools fall
way short. It's just a maturity issue.

Again, use a platform for it's strengths. I haven't done any major
audio editing in two weeks, so, consequently, I've been using linux at home
almost exclusively during that period. Java development...

Linux: Lots Good, Some Bad

Post by Charles Philip Cha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> The alsa documentation is terrible. Really, really bad.

Agreed, the documentation is a bit spotty, but remember that this is
bata software in its 0.5.X release.

Quote:>  Why? Because the alsa mixer can't detect it's own driver
> running. Agh. I cannot find a solution for this, so I am back to my
> original configuration, where my sblive is supported through the
> default install, and the DIO-2448 is unrecognized.

The easiest way is to:

        (1) Revert to your old version of modules.conf.

        (2) Download the latest version of alsa.conf from
            ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsaconf/
            and run it. This will detect your soundcard and insert the
            appropriately lines in modules.conf.

        (3) Load the driver.

        (4) Run an ALSA aware mixer such as alsamixer and unmute the
            channels.

If you have any problems, you are welcome to email me directly.

Charles

1. why lots of bad hardware suddenly discovered upon linux installations?

Often I see postings like

True, good possibilities, but I still see a lot of postings where lots of
bad hardware is suddenly discovered upon Linux installations... One would
wonder why didn't these problems didn't appear before they changed from
other leading brand OS...
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni  ... fix e-mail address to reply; ?n|
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

2. Saving the scrolled text in an xterm (-tcsh)

3. bad partition on good disk won't mount or fsck (bad magic number/superblock)

4. 2.4.20pre8aa2 failed assertions in ip_{conntrack,nat}_core.c

5. 014 Bad Bad Bad !!! for Linux

6. how to use proxy with ftp command

7. More good press for Linux that's bad press for MS.

8. Getting ride of Linux

9. : HD with a few bad sectors--good enough for Linux?

10. win on linux, good or bad???

11. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Linux DVD players)

12. linux-wlan with Linksys gear - good or bad?

13. Dedicated PPRO for Linux? Good/Bad/Ugly?