preparing dual/boot 4 end user, where to get legal win95 for it

preparing dual/boot 4 end user, where to get legal win95 for it

Post by Cameron Spitze » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

As I mentioned in an earlier episode, I'm preparing a dual-boot
system for a smart but non-"technical" friend, who will become
an evangelist if things work out.

Very impressed with the new Debian.  Install instructions still
suck, but installing is easier.  I suspect this system will
be up in Linux most of the time.  End user's critical apps are
email (we like xfmail), Web surfing (Navigator will do; is Grail dead?),
and Wordperfect.  If I have time, I'll try to put Wabi/DOS-7.02/Win-3.1
on there just for the hell of it.

This machine will need a *legal* copy of Win-95.OSR2.5 or Win-98 to run
misc apps that are already in place.  Now, if I go to the store I can
get a three year old Win-95 for bare metal on 14 floppies or something,
but that's missing three years of patches that most people tell me
actually made a slight improvement.  If I buy a new PC mail-order,
it comes with Win-98 preloaded, and a backup on CD-ROM for the inevitable
reload.  But there seems to be no such thing as Win-95.OSR2.5 or Win-98
for bare metal.  Does anyone sell Win-98 preloaded on a drive, without
the rest of the PC, but with the reload CDs?

What's the right way to obtain this damn thing?
Are OEMs the only people who can install Win-98 on bare metal?
Are there any OEMs who sell pre-installed Win-98 with 2/3 of the
drive partitioned for something else, or are they so scared of
Microsoft they can't even do that?

Asking in Linux group because Linux advocates have a clue and would
wish this project to succeed.

Cameron

preparing dual/boot 4 end user, where to get legal win95 for it

Post by Patrik Norde » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>This machine will need a *legal* copy of Win-95.OSR2.5 or Win-98 to run
>misc apps that are already in place.  Now, if I go to the store I can
>get a three year old Win-95 for bare metal on 14 floppies or something,
>but that's missing three years of patches that most people tell me
>actually made a slight improvement.  If I buy a new PC mail-order,
>it comes with Win-98 preloaded, and a backup on CD-ROM for the inevitable
>reload.  But there seems to be no such thing as Win-95.OSR2.5 or Win-98
>for bare metal.  Does anyone sell Win-98 preloaded on a drive, without
>the rest of the PC, but with the reload CDs?

I seem to remember seeing on www.pricewatch.com that you can buy the
OEM version of Win98 as long as you buy at least some hardware with
it. You might want to check that out. Otherwise the retail version of
Win98 costs $180, and the upgrade from Win95 about $90, I think. Take
a look at www.pricewatch.com. As far as improvements to Win95, they
are interesting only if you want USB support or FAT32, I think. Maybe
some other stuff too, but mostly it should be support for newer
hardware. The rest can be downloaded from Microsoft.

--

http://a39.ryd.student.liu.se/~isildur

Post by Stephen R. Savitz » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> This machine will need a *legal* copy of Win-95.OSR2.5 or Win-98 to run
> misc apps that are already in place.  Now, if I go to the store I can
> get a three year old Win-95 for bare metal on 14 floppies or something,
> but that's missing three years of patches that most people tell me
> actually made a slight improvement.  If I buy a new PC mail-order,
> it comes with Win-98 preloaded, and a backup on CD-ROM for the inevitable
> reload.  But there seems to be no such thing as Win-95.OSR2.5 or Win-98
> for bare metal.  Does anyone sell Win-98 preloaded on a drive, without
> the rest of the PC, but with the reload CDs?

Check out LOAD (Linux On A Disk) -- I don't remember the name of the
manufacturer, but it's advertized in Linux Journal and there should be
pointers from any list of Linux hardware vendors.  Since they're an OEM,
they can install both Linux and OSR2.5 (and probably Win98 now) on a
bare hard disk and sell it as a system.

Quote:> What's the right way to obtain this damn thing?
> Are OEMs the only people who can install Win-98 on bare metal?

I believe it's true that only an OEM can install Window$ on a bare
machine.

Quote:> Are there any OEMs who sell pre-installed Win-98 with 2/3 of the
> drive partitioned for something else, or are they so scared of
> Microsoft they can't even do that?

VA Research <http://www.varesearch.com> sells systems with both OS's
installed.  We've bought several at work and have had no problems with
them.

Quote:> Asking in Linux group because Linux advocates have a clue and would
> wish this project to succeed.

You might be better off asking in comp.os.linux.setup

Quote:> Cameron

--
 /   Steve Savitzky   \ 1997 Pegasus Award winner: best science song--+  \

\  hacker/songwriter:   \   http://www.starport.com/suites/Starport/Filk/ /
 \_ Kids' page: MOVED ---> http://www.starport.com/places/forKids/ ______/

Post by Howard Smit » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> As I mentioned in an earlier episode, I'm preparing a dual-boot
> system for a smart but non-"technical" friend, who will become
> an evangelist if things work out.

> Very impressed with the new Debian.  Install instructions still
> suck, but installing is easier.  I suspect this system will
> be up in Linux most of the time.  End user's critical apps are
> email (we like xfmail), Web surfing (Navigator will do; is Grail dead?),
> and Wordperfect.  If I have time, I'll try to put Wabi/DOS-7.02/Win-3.1
> on there just for the hell of it.

> This machine will need a *legal* copy of Win-95.OSR2.5 or Win-98 to run
> misc apps that are already in place.  Now, if I go to the store I can
> get a three year old Win-95 for bare metal on 14 floppies or something,
> but that's missing three years of patches that most people tell me
> actually made a slight improvement.  If I buy a new PC mail-order,
> it comes with Win-98 preloaded, and a backup on CD-ROM for the inevitable
> reload.  But there seems to be no such thing as Win-95.OSR2.5 or Win-98
> for bare metal.  Does anyone sell Win-98 preloaded on a drive, without
> the rest of the PC, but with the reload CDs?

> What's the right way to obtain this damn thing?
> Are OEMs the only people who can install Win-98 on bare metal?
> Are there any OEMs who sell pre-installed Win-98 with 2/3 of the
> drive partitioned for something else, or are they so scared of
> Microsoft they can't even do that?

> Asking in Linux group because Linux advocates have a clue and would
> wish this project to succeed.

Years ago I bought a computer with win3.1.  The hard drive died and the
sleezy outfit I bought it from had gone out of business, no forwarding
address.  WD sent me another HDD, no problem.  But I couldn't find DOS,
only upgrade versions.  I called m$ and they said I was an "OEM orphan"
and gave me a number to call, and I was able to buy the OEM version.

You might be considered an OEM orphan.  If you mentioned you were
considering installing Linux they might just bend over backwards to help
;)

--
m$-Hotmail: "Where do you want Sun Solaris to take you today ?"

Howard J. Smith        | Building a better world thru a micro$oft
                       | free environment with Java, Netscape and

1. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

Hi:

I've got a 266 PII PC with one EIDE hard-drive with Win95 installed.  I want
to add a second EIDE hard drive (probably around 4-6 Gb) and install RH
Linux 5.1 plus some other Linux s/w (like Oracle8.0.5 pre-production
release!  Yew!).  I want to be able to choose which O/S (ie. which
hard-drive) I boot from at power-on.  I'm not real good with hardware and
low-level stuff.  Do I need to purchase a good boot-loader?  Is there one
that anyone would recommend that works very well and is simple (and safe!)
to install for choosing boot between Linux and Win95?

Doubly thankful if you would respond via email as well as posting here!

Thanks and regards,
Dave

2. restoring system disk on tru64 alpha

3. curse/ncurse tutorial

4. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

5. X connection problem

6. difference between dual-single ended scsi card and single ended scsi card

7. Prob w/Slackware 1.1.2 (was Linux Dist)

8. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

9. linux kernel at end of large hard disk--dual boot question

10. Dual boot networked to dual boot

11. Netscape front-end for end-users

12. how to dual boot Win95 + DOS (no linux) ?