OT: Sonny dumps MS Office in Europe.

Post by cybea » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 20:21:20

If Star Office becomes the dominate Office Suite, why would anyone want to
pay for the OS that it runs on when it runs just as well if not better on a
free OS? The Office suite is a key to business adoption of OSS on the
desktop. Now it looks as if the key is starting to be turned to OSS.

 http://news.com.com/2100-1040-976239.html?tag=fd_top

OT: Sonny dumps MS Office in Europe.

Post by cfswester » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 00:56:55

Quote:> If Star Office becomes the dominate Office Suite, why would anyone want to
> pay for the OS that it runs on when it runs just as well if not better on
> free OS? The Office suite is a key to business adoption of OSS on the
> desktop. Now it looks as if the key is starting to be turned to OSS.

>  http://news.com.com/2100-1040-976239.html?tag=fd_top

Hasn't Star Office been around for a number of  years ? Doesn't it work just
fine with any version of Windows ?  Don't all new PC's come with Windows
preinstalled ?

Post by Peter K?hlman » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 01:05:34

>> If Star Office becomes the dominate Office Suite, why would anyone want
>> to pay for the OS that it runs on when it runs just as well if not
>> better on
>> free OS? The Office suite is a key to business adoption of OSS on the
>> desktop. Now it looks as if the key is starting to be turned to OSS.

>>  http://news.com.com/2100-1040-976239.html?tag=fd_top

> Hasn't Star Office been around for a number of  years ? Doesn't it work
> just
> fine with any version of Windows ?  Don't all new PC's come with Windows
> preinstalled ?

No
--
Avoid reality at all costs.

OT: Sonny dumps MS Office in Europe.

Post by Jazz » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 01:14:52

Captain's log. On StarDate Friday 06 December 2002 23:56 received comm
from "cfswestern":

>> If Star Office becomes the dominate Office Suite, why would anyone
>> want to pay for the OS that it runs on when it runs just as well if
>> not better on
>> free OS? The Office suite is a key to business adoption of OSS on the
>> desktop. Now it looks as if the key is starting to be turned to OSS.

>>  http://news.com.com/2100-1040-976239.html?tag=fd_top

> Hasn't Star Office been around for a number of  years ? Doesn't it
> work just
> fine with any version of Windows ?  Don't all new PC's come with
> Windows preinstalled ?

Well, yes.

But the main reason businesses buy Windows computers, is because up
until now they believed they needed MS Office, almost exclusively for
'compatibility' reasons. As more and more corporations start switching
away from MS Office, it will be inevitable that at some point they will
ask themselves the question why they would still need Windows as the
operating system, given that their office suite (StarOffice, or even
OpenOffice.org) runs identically on a platform with a much lower TCO
[*].

[*] That's LGX-linux, in case you wondered.

--
Jazz.

"Respect my authoritaah!"
(Eric Cartman)

1. OT: The Ultimate Lock-In - MS Office 2003

here's an interesting commentary about the very worrisome features and
legal entanglements of the new MS Office 2003, which, according to the
author, has the potential of locking in people to windows on BOTH the
server and desktop (as well as possibly not allowing any third party
software to open MS Office docs - e.g. OpenOffice.org):

http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/20982.html

The good news is there has been a very strong reluctance among many of
upgrading to the latest MS Office (we were still using Office 97 before
we completely -- except for a few copies for QA ---- ditched MS Office
and switched to StarOffice/OpenOffice --- and saved TONS of money that
would otherwise go to MS licensing fees).

2. 3c905 problems

3. Can I run MS office files with Star Office on linux?

4. Secure Password Authentication

5. Is Star Office just as crash prone as MS Office?

6. symtab_begin.h and symtab_end.h: what do I use in 2.2? - use EXPORT_SYMBOL

7. OT: Wireless compability in Europe

8. named.conf: can I include a directory?

9. off-group - sorry - MS ie5 stops MS office from installing

10. /etc/magic entries for MS Office and MS Project?

11. .NET and the erosion of MS Office and other MS Software by Open source

12. Europe finds MS guilty, but wonders what to do about it

13. Dump that OEM (in Europe)