Configuring email - piece of cake!

Post by Mark Style » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:05:11

When I installed Mandrake a couple of months ago, I set up KMail to do
my POP3 fetching, and to send mail through my ISPs SMTP server.

I've been wanting to configure the system to handle mail the 'proper'
way for a while, but I've been putting it off because I thought it was
going to be tricky.

Well, yesterday I did it. Here are the steps I followed:

Start Mandrake Control Centre
Go to System.. Services..
Find postfix, start it, and enable start at boot

Run fetchmailconf
Add my POP3 server and user details
Start fetchmail

Re-configure Kmail to get and send mail locally.

That's it! No problems along the way, everything 'just worked' and now
I have a robust email system that doesn't rely on a single MUA.

Incidentally, starting postfix also seemed to start procmail, so my
next step is to learn how to filter my email...

1. Colormap - really a piece of cake !!??

If I understand the answers I got right (thanks to all who responded)
the colormap in X is like a piece of cake (in 8 bpp 256 pieces ...)
from which every running application will allocate its part.

Is it really impossible to have several fully colored applications
running simultaneously without such disadvantages as color flashing
when switching tasks ? Why can MS-Windows handle this problem ???
Any hints that could lead me to a deeper understanding would be
greatly appreciated.

Stefan

2. Looking for UNIX programmer's Manual

3. Piece of Cake for Experts - Hard Bone for Newbie

4. Newline in "echo"

5. RH 6.x ppp piece of cake, RH 7 ppp quite difficult

6. Need Recommendations

7. Boston Globe pieces today Re: CNN piece WHACKS NT boosts Linux!

8. 2.1.x kernels, which are stable?

9. UnixWare : a piece of junk or a piece of paradise ?

10. E-Mail E-Mail E-Mail

11. extract email from text file and send an email to the email address