OpenOffice.org 1.0 Port Now Working On FreeBSD

OpenOffice.org 1.0 Port Now Working On FreeBSD

Post by Donn Mille » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:50:28

Sorry for the way off-topic post, folks.  There was mention that Open
Office wasn't ported to FreeBSD yet.  After much sweating, it is now
working on FreeBSD:

http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=2935

The reason for the non-Linux post is that some Linux folk here were
wondering if Open Office were working on the FreeBSD platform.

Post by Joe Potte » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:28:32

> Sorry for the way off-topic post, folks.  There was mention that Open
> Office wasn't ported to FreeBSD yet.  After much sweating, it is now
> working on FreeBSD:

> http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=2935

> The reason for the non-Linux post is that some Linux folk here were
> wondering if Open Office were working on the FreeBSD platform.

Donn, my fine fellow --- positive news about any *nix is never unwelcome
here. BSD and Linux are both fine systems. I think several here run both.

Plus, any news about OpenOffice being more open is good news for linux. The
day that OpenOffice becomes the worldwide "standard" is the day you know M$
has collapsed.

--
Regards, Joe
GNU/Linux user #225822

Post by Donn Mille » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:17:24

> Donn, my fine fellow --- positive news about any *nix is never unwelcome
> here. BSD and Linux are both fine systems. I think several here run both.

> Plus, any news about OpenOffice being more open is good news for linux. The
> day that OpenOffice becomes the worldwide "standard" is the day you know M$
> has collapsed.

Well, I was running Gentoo, but I ran into a little problem with XFS.
Seems as though there was some problems writing the journal, or
something, on one or more partitions. I didn't take heed the advice on
the Gentoo web site for adjusting some parameters to mkfs.xfs.  I guess
ext3 could be a decent-performing filesystem, with a little tweaking.
The "noatime" option to mount is one such tweak.  I think RedHat had
some tips on optimizing the performance of ext3, by adjusting the
metadata parameters, etc.

Ah, here it is:

http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/tuning.html

OpenOffice.org 1.0 Port Now Working On FreeBSD

Post by Johan Lindquis » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:49:09

Wed, 05 Jun 2002 at 13:17 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

Quote:> http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/tuning.html

*clicketyprint*

Thanks muchly. :)

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  1:40pm  up 5 days,  7:06,  3 users,  load average: 2.83, 1.73, 1.40

OpenOffice.org 1.0 Port Now Working On FreeBSD

Post by Rob Hughe » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:49:36

On Wednesday 05 June 2002 02:50 am in comp.os.linux.advocacy, Donn Miller
may have said some stuff, possibly:

Quote:> The reason for the non-Linux post is that some Linux folk here were
> wondering if Open Office were working on the FreeBSD platform.

First, thanks for the link. Second, some of us Linux folks are also FreeBSD
folks :)

Post by Florian S » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:18:46

> Well, I was running Gentoo, but I ran into a little problem with XFS.
> Seems as though there was some problems writing the journal, or
> something, on one or more partitions.

I have been running XFS for over a year now. If you are a bit more
specific, I can help you.

--
Add the next two proper digits to the e-mail to mail me. (Think of pi ;)

OpenOffice.org 1.0 Port Now Working On FreeBSD

Post by Matthew Gardine » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:48:29

Quote:> Sorry for the way off-topic post, folks.  There was mention that Open
> Office wasn't ported to FreeBSD yet.  After much sweating, it is now
> working on FreeBSD:

> http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=2935

> The reason for the non-Linux post is that some Linux folk here were
> wondering if Open Office were working on the FreeBSD platform.

Awsome. I am looking forward to either FreeBSD or NetBSD being made
available for the x86-64, aka, AMD Hammer, when it becomes available.
Although I could run Windows on it, from what I heard, it won't be 100% ala
natural 64bit.

Matthew Gardiner

1. openOffice.org announces openOffice.org 1.0

"May 1, 2002 - The OpenOffice.org community today
announced the availability of OpenOffice.org 1.0,
the open source, multi-platform, multi-lingual office
productivity suite available as a free download at
the OpenOffice.org community website. OpenOffice.org
1.0 is the culmination of more than 18 months of
collaborative effort by members of the OpenOffice.org
community, which is comprised of Sun employees, volunteer
developers, marketers, and end users working to create
an international office suite that will run on all major
platforms."

http://www.openoffice.org/
(if it's not busy, that is)

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
+==================================

2. Telnet problem with Red Hat 6.2

3. OpenOffice.org 1.0

4. NY..UNIX S/A JOB OPPORTUNITIES

5. OpenOffice.org 1.0 available for Tru64 Unix.

6. creating different syslog file /var/log/syslog.0 /var/log/syslog.1...

7. Creating databases with OpenOffice.org and StarOffice

8. rm all files but one

9. connect timeout to openoffice.org

10. OpenOffice.org vs Word

11. "So What's this OpenOffice.org thing?"

12. OpenOffice.org availability

13. OpenOffice.org came through again