Alert: Windows may deny users...

Post by Richi » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 03:29:11

Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
launching pad for other attacks.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,54942,00.html

Alert: Windows may deny users...

Post by rapska » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 03:44:37

Error Log for Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:29:11 +0000: segfault in module "Richie" -
dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
> hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
> launching pad for other attacks.

> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,54942,00.html

Will someone please remind me again why I should use Windows instead of LGX?

--
rapskat -   2:40pm  up  7:28,  0 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.04 76
processes: 73 sleeping, 2 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped CPU states:  4.1%

Seen on a button at an SF Convention:
Veteran of the Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force.  1990-1951.

Post by Simon Siebe » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 04:11:51

> Error Log for Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:29:11 +0000: segfault in module "Richie" -
> dump details are as follows...

>> Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
>> hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
>> launching pad for other attacks.

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/,1282,54942,00.html

> Will someone please remind me again why I should use Windows instead of LGX?

Maybe you should begin thinking about using Windows when you want to
explore your *ic side...

It boils down to tastes - and you can't argue about taste as a clever
Roman once remarked (forgot the name, Cato?).

cheers
simon

--
 _____ __   __  _____
/ ___/|  \ /  |/ ___/

Post by Joe Potte » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 05:05:05

> Error Log for Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:29:11 +0000: segfault in module "Richie"
> - dump details are as follows...

>> Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
>> hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
>> launching pad for other attacks.

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/,1282,54942,00.html

> Will someone please remind me again why I should use Windows instead of
> LGX?

You should use M$ to have all this free e*ment. They put the *danger*
back in computing.

Plus, all the free software (1,000s of viruses)

--
Regards, Joe
GNU/Linux user # 225822

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 07:57:24

Quote:>>>Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
>>>hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
>>>launching pad for other attacks.

>>>http://www.veryComputer.com/,1282,54942,00.html

>>Will someone please remind me again why I should use Windows instead of LGX?

> Maybe you should begin thinking about using Windows when you want to
> explore your *ic side...

Naa, whips and chains still seem alot more fun ;-)

Matthew Gardiner

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 07:58:28

>>Error Log for Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:29:11 +0000: segfault in module "Richie"
>>- dump details are as follows...

>>>Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
>>>hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
>>>launching pad for other attacks.

>>>http://www.veryComputer.com/,1282,54942,00.html

>>Will someone please remind me again why I should use Windows instead of
>>LGX?

> You should use M$ to have all this free e*ment. They put the *danger*
> back in computing.

> Plus, all the free software (1,000s of viruses)

Well, Microsoft does promote Windows as an eXPerience? ;-)

Matthew Gardiner

Post by Colin Da » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 09:17:47

> > Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
> > hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
> > launching pad for other attacks.

> > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,54942,00.html

> The section on recovery is a scream.  To summarise:

> We can't give you any advice whatsoever.
> If you think you have been hacked, call the police or try to sue someone.

And if that someone is Microsoft?

kColin Day

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 09:52:34

>> Will someone please remind me again why I should use Windows instead of
>> LGX?

> You should use M$ to have all this free e*ment. They put the *danger*
> back in computing.

Running MSFT is the digital equivalent of barebacking it on Castro Street.

Post by mlw » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:21:08

> Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
> hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
> launching pad for other attacks.

> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,54942,00.html

I have not been able to stop laughing. They don't even know how a machine gets
infected? WTF is that? Can someone tell me how a multibillion dollar,
international company, can't even know HOW their own system gets infected?

Is there that little expertise about their own systems within their own
company?

It is a disgrace at best.

Post by Eric W. Sarjean » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:21:50

> Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
> hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
> launching pad for other attacks.

I'm sorry but this is FUD. Microsoft is attempting a massive CYA on this
one, this security advisory lacks any and all substance. They might as
well have said that finding command.com indicates your computer might
have been compromised.

This reads like something that 6 months from now MS can turn around and
say "see -- we told you so.".

Remember when UAE's were completely fixed? It was Windows 3.1 or
something when MS promised that you would not see any more Unrecoverable
Application Errors. Of course, the fact that they renamed a UAE to be a
GPF helped things considerable.

Well, this reads a lot like sed 's/UAE/GPF/g'....

--

"Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come."  - Beatles

Alert: Windows may deny users...

Post by flatfish.. » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 11:22:33

On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 21:02:13 +0100, Adolf Torvalds

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:44:37 -0400, in
>comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>Error Log for Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:29:11 +0000: segfault in module "Richie" -
>>dump details are as follows...

>>> Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
>>> hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
>>> launching pad for other attacks.

>>> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,54942,00.html

>>Will someone please remind me again why I should use Windows instead of LGX?

>Of course, why bother going to the trouble of
>launching an attack against Linux boxes?

>There are so few users, it would be a waste of
>time.

Exactly.

Why aren't Mac users attacked all the time?

Post by GreyClou » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 13:44:25

> On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 21:02:13 +0100, Adolf Torvalds

> >On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:44:37 -0400, in
> >comp.os.linux.advocacy,

> >>Error Log for Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:29:11 +0000: segfault in module "Richie" -
> >>dump details are as follows...

> >>Will someone please remind me again why I should use Windows instead of LGX?

> >Of course, why bother going to the trouble of
> >launching an attack against Linux boxes?

> >There are so few users, it would be a waste of
> >time.

> Exactly.

> Why aren't Mac users attacked all the time?

They are in their advocacy group.  More wintrolls in there
that there are in here.

Post by D. C. Session » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 13:39:59

> Microsoft has issued an unusual warning to Windows users: watch out for a
> hack attack that could lock you out of your computer and turn it into a
> launching pad for other attacks.

JUST NOW they notice?

--
| If things don't work and you don't know why, you're in trouble. |
|   If things *do* work and you don't know why, you're doomed.    |