a single Intel server run 10 to 200 instances of Linux

a single Intel server run 10 to 200 instances of Linux

Post by mjt » Fri, 10 May 2002 08:30:54

"Linux software company signs deals

The following article appeared in the ZDNet ran on April 25th, 2002:

SWsoft, a VMware competitor whose software lets a single Intel server
run 10 to 200 instances of Linux, has signed deals to sell its product
in conjunction with Dell Computer and IBM servers, the company said
Tuesday. The Magnum-SC servers include SWsoft's Virtuozzo software
installed on IBM or Dell servers with as many as eight processors.

http://www.sw-soft.com/en

--
+==================================
+==================================

Post by yt.. » Fri, 10 May 2002 15:25:45

> "Linux software company signs deals
> The following article appeared in the ZDNet ran on April 25th, 2002:
> SWsoft, a VMware competitor whose software lets a single Intel server
> run 10 to 200 instances of Linux, has signed deals to sell its product
> in conjunction with Dell Computer and IBM servers, the company said
> Tuesday. The Magnum-SC servers include SWsoft's Virtuozzo software
> installed on IBM or Dell servers with as many as eight processors.

It will never amaze me the lengths to which people will go to make damn
good and sure that their expectations are suitably lowered.

A bit of thread tweaking and the right kernel, and that software would
run on a machine with over 100 procs with ease.  (IBM makes them.  Not
intel based.  Doesnt matter.)

-----.

--
"Hell, rocket science isn't even rocket science"
--A NASA rocket scientist, undernet, circa 1996