Microsoft flaw puts servers at risk

Post by Jeff » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 04:22:27

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-981745.html?tag=fd_top

 "Microsoft warned system administrators on Wednesday that a new flaw in
 its Windows 2000 and NT domain controllers could leave their networks
 open to attack."

I thought "open to attack" was a given with M$ software. :) Great more job
security and late nights patching and rebooting servers. I can see it now
patch, reboot, patch, reboot, CrAsH, reload from tape! :)

Post by Mark » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 04:34:08

Quote:> http://news.com.com/2100-1001-981745.html?tag=fd_top

>  "Microsoft warned system administrators on Wednesday that a new flaw in
>  its Windows 2000 and NT domain controllers could leave their networks
>  open to attack."

> I thought "open to attack" was a given with M$ software. :) Great more job
> security and late nights patching and rebooting servers. I can see it now
> patch, reboot, patch, reboot, CrAsH, reload from tape! :)

How else are they going to force existing NT and w2k users to upgrade to
XP?

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 04:40:28

> > http://news.com.com/2100-1001-981745.html?tag=fd_top

> >  "Microsoft warned system administrators on Wednesday that a new flaw in
> >  its Windows 2000 and NT domain controllers could leave their networks
> >  open to attack."

> > I thought "open to attack" was a given with M$ software. :) Great more job
> > security and late nights patching and rebooting servers. I can see it now
> > patch, reboot, patch, reboot, CrAsH, reload from tape! :)

> How else are they going to force existing NT and w2k users to upgrade to
> XP?

It's interesting to note that it also states that if you have adiquate
firewalls in place its not a problem
from outside. Using a linux for this purpose hah? ;)

Mark

Post by Brainfried Sysadmi » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:11:53

>> > http://news.com.com/2100-1001-981745.html?tag=fd_top

>> >  "Microsoft warned system administrators on Wednesday that a new flaw
>> >  in its Windows 2000 and NT domain controllers could leave their
>> >  networks open to attack."

>> > I thought "open to attack" was a given with M$ software. :) Great more
>> > job security and late nights patching and rebooting servers. I can see
>> > it now patch, reboot, patch, reboot, CrAsH, reload from tape! :)

>> How else are they going to force existing NT and w2k users to upgrade to
>> XP?

> It's interesting to note that it also states that if you have adiquate
> firewalls in place its not a problem
> from outside. Using a linux for this purpose hah? ;)

> Mark

I just got a nice, warm feeling.  My Linux firewall is protecting my
Windows boxen.

Post by Billy O'Conno » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:41:55

> I just got a nice, warm feeling.  My Linux firewall is protecting my
> Windows boxen.

I would certainly apply that patch anyway, no sense tempting fate.  :)

--
Billy O'Connor
Editor, Beyond Linux From Scratch   http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org

Post by Mark Thompso » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:46:54

> > I just got a nice, warm feeling.  My Linux firewall is protecting my
> > Windows boxen.

> I would certainly apply that patch anyway, no sense tempting fate.  :)

<* theory hat on>

I wonder if the patch will add other "features" to the OSs

Mark

Post by Brainfried Sysadmi » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:47:27

>> I just got a nice, warm feeling.  My Linux firewall is protecting my
>> Windows boxen.

> I would certainly apply that patch anyway, no sense tempting fate.  :)

Right, but at least I won't have to worry about the issue tonight.

Post by cybea » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:58:47

>>> How else are they going to force existing NT and w2k users to upgrade
>>> to XP?

>> It's interesting to note that it also states that if you have adiquate
>> firewalls in place its not a problem
>> from outside. Using a linux for this purpose hah? ;)

>> Mark

> I just got a nice, warm feeling.  My Linux firewall is protecting my
> Windows boxen.

Ummmm, Would you like it better the other way round?