Microsoft delays deadline for new licensing program

Microsoft delays deadline for new licensing program

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 23:11:35

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/07/06/ms.extends.deadline.idg/inde...

Now the Microft pocket pissers are complaining about a license change.
Personally, if you didn't change from Windows to either Solaris, Linux
or some other OS by this time, tough luck, why should I or any other
person feel sorry for you?

Worried about GPL, get a SUN Blade 100 with Solaris 8 and StarOffice.

Too much of a "Charlie-cheap-skate", train your staff and move to Linux
or *BSD.

You had the opportunity, all Microsoft is doing is giving you a nice
present called "increased licensing costs".

Matthew Gardiner
--
WARNING:

This email was written on an OS using the viral 'GPL' as its license.

Please check with Bill Gates before continuing to read this
email/posting.

Post by Ayende Rahie » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 00:22:24

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/07/06/ms.extends.deadline.idg/inde...

I *like* this artcile.
Now we need mass protest about the activation.
I'm willing to call MS "things you wouldn't want your family to hear", who
is with me?

[Realize where he is posting to, and decide to forget about it]

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 23:33:26

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> I *like* this artcile.
> Now we need mass protest about the activation.
> I'm willing to call MS "things you wouldn't want your family to hear", who
> is with me?

> [Realize where he is posting to, and decide to forget about it]

What I find funny is that the complaints by the businesses. They could
turn around and say, na, we're upgrading to [Alternative], and just
plain*the living shit out of Microsoft, but because these
companies are run by idiots, they will spew retoric, but they won't
change.

I can hardly wait, when I hear them go into "* and moan" overdrive.
I'll be happily sitting back, seeing the shit being flung left, right
and centre.

Matthew Gardiner
--

Post by Matthew Gardine » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 01:16:16

> >http://www.veryComputer.com/

> >I *like* this artcile.
> >Now we need mass protest about the activation.
> >I'm willing to call MS "things you wouldn't want your family to hear", who
> >is with me?

> I'm with you because I think this activation stuff stinks.

> flatfish+++
> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"

so you have two choices:

read a book and learn Linux

OR
==

be Microsoft's *, and get told when to use you computer, and when
you can't, what you can and can't use/do etc etc.

You make the choice, however, don't come *ing to me when you make
the wrong one.
Matthew Gardiner
--
WARNING:

This email was written on an OS using the viral 'GPL' as its license.

Please check with Bill Gates before continuing to read this
email/posting.

Microsoft delays deadline for new licensing program

Post by mmn.. » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 14:21:27

Microsoft seems to be making a habit of 'feeling things out.'  They
make some announcement or release a beta on a limited basis to  get a
better estimate for what the costs of having their way might be.
They've done this with business licensing, lockouts, USB 2, and crippled mp3
support all just recently.  Isn't this bound to foster the idea that
they're out to get away with whatever they can?

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/07/06/ms.extends.deadline.idg/inde...

Quote:

Post by Pete » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:29:59

> http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/07/06/ms.extends.deadline.idg/index
> .html

> Now the Microft pocket pissers are complaining about a license change.
> Personally, if you didn't change from Windows to either Solaris, Linux
> or some other OS by this time, tough luck, why should I or any other
> person feel sorry for you?

I liked the bit

"Microsoft has reported nearly $7 billion in revenue in the past three
quarters this year for its desktop applications division, roughly
equal to the same three quarters last year. The revenue accounts for 37
percent of its business, so that means 37 percent of Microsoft revenue
has not grown over the past year."

Wait until the non-sales of Windows XP reaches their profit and loss
account. That'll make stagnant growth look like the good old days.

IOW, MS are reaching the end of the line.

Windows is history.

Peter

Microsoft delays deadline for new licensing program

Post by Roy Cull » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:18:40

Quote:

> I liked the bit

> "Microsoft has reported nearly $7 billion in revenue in the past three
> quarters this year for its desktop applications division, roughly
> equal to the same three quarters last year. The revenue accounts for 37
> percent of its business, so that means 37 percent of Microsoft revenue
> has not grown over the past year."

> Wait until the non-sales of Windows XP reaches their profit and loss
> account. That'll make stagnant growth look like the good old days.

> IOW, MS are reaching the end of the line.

> Windows is history.

I read a few months ago that the SEC were investigating MS on how they
include income earned from investments not directly related to their
core business making them look like they were performing better than
they actually were. For several quarters MS have produced results
which seemed to buck the trend of most other companies in the computer
business. As Gartner reported sales of W2K were about 50% lower than
expected. Their recent announcement that the next quarter results are
going to be well down I take to mean that they can no longer hide what
they have been up to. I predict Windows XP will be as big a damp squid
as Office XP. The X-box will be a disappointment also. By early 2002
it will be clear to all that the MS bubble has burst and their share
price will go into freefall.

--
Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 04:20:42

> I read a few months ago that the SEC were investigating MS on how they
> include income earned from investments not directly related to their
> core business making them look like they were performing better than
> they actually were. For several quarters MS have produced results
> which seemed to buck the trend of most other companies in the computer
> business.

Nothing seems to have come from such an investigation.  If it were illegal,
they would have been fined.

Quote:> As Gartner reported sales of W2K were about 50% lower than
> expected.

Expected by Gartner, perhaps.

Quote:> Their recent announcement that the next quarter results are
> going to be well down I take to mean that they can no longer hide what
> they have been up to.

MS has been claiming their next quarters would be lower for the last 2
years.  It's a ploy for them to come out well above what's expected of them,
so their stock stays quite high.

Quote:> I predict Windows XP will be as big a damp squid
> as Office XP. The X-box will be a disappointment also. By early 2002
> it will be clear to all that the MS bubble has burst and their share
> price will go into freefall.

Can I hold you to that?

Post by Roy Cull » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:24:37

>> I read a few months ago that the SEC were investigating MS on how they
>> include income earned from investments not directly related to their
>> core business making them look like they were performing better than
>> they actually were. For several quarters MS have produced results
>> which seemed to buck the trend of most other companies in the computer
>> business.

> Nothing seems to have come from such an investigation.  If it were illegal,
> they would have been fined.

>> As Gartner reported sales of W2K were about 50% lower than
>> expected.

> Expected by Gartner, perhaps.

>> Their recent announcement that the next quarter results are
>> going to be well down I take to mean that they can no longer hide what
>> they have been up to.

> MS has been claiming their next quarters would be lower for the last 2
> years.  It's a ploy for them to come out well above what's expected of them,
> so their stock stays quite high.

Well I'm not sure about the last 2 years but they have been doing it for
a couple of quarters or so. What they have stated this time sounds a
bit more serious. Perhaps pressure from the SEC?

Quote:>> I predict Windows XP will be as big a damp squid
>> as Office XP. The X-box will be a disappointment also. By early 2002
>> it will be clear to all that the MS bubble has burst and their share
>> price will go into freefall.

> Can I hold you to that?

Of course. If I'm wrong then I will buy you as many beers as you
can drink if you come over here.

--
Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't
looking any better.

1. Microsoft Licensing 6.0 Survey (Bad news for microsoft)

Negative reaction to the upcoming Microsoft
Licensing 6.0 Program is *increasing* and not
lessening, as the August 1, 2002 launch date
looms closer. A significant portion -over one-third -
*36 percent* -- of corporate enterprises report
*they don't have the necessary funds* to upgrade
to the Microsoft Licensing 6.0 Program, while
another *38 percent* say they are actively
*seeking alternatives to Microsoft products*.

pay special attention to the pie charts at the
bottom of the page:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/survey_02mar.cfm

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
+==================================

2. Modem Installation Problems

3. New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

4. Mainframe printing to linux print queue

5. Programming sub-second delays in C programs.

6. staroffice installation

7. DMA programming in cascade mode (HELP DEADLINE ON FIRDAY)

8. OptiCD ROM no longer mounts under RH6.0, where's the problem?

9. USENIX Annual Tech - Additions to Program and Savings Deadline is here

10. DEADLINE: 60 day waiting period for ALL new domain names

11. get unix x-windows program to start microsoft windows program

12. Microsoft tweaks troubled licensing plan