is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by yahoo_is_stupi » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:00:18

why the hell when I open yahoo web page, I see at the top with
big red letters a messages telling me that IE 6 is out and
to upgrade my browser?

is it the job of yahoo to advertised MS products?

since when?

why don't they too tell us that Mozilla version X is out, or Netscape
or opera or Konquerer etc...??

I do not think it is the job of Yahoo to tell people what browsers they
should use, and to assume everyone is using windows.

Yahoo is crap.

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by Mike » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:44:47

Quote:

> why the hell when I open yahoo web page, I see at the top with
> big red letters a messages telling me that IE 6 is out and
> to upgrade my browser?

> is it the job of yahoo to advertised MS products?

> since when?

No, it's the job of Yahoo to make money. Those big red letters are paid for
by Microsoft, to advertise their product.

Quote:> why don't they too tell us that Mozilla version X is out, or Netscape
> or opera or Konquerer etc...??

I dunno, do you think it could be, say, _money_? You know, like maybe nobody
at Mozilla Inc. remembered to place an ad?

Quote:> I do not think it is the job of Yahoo to tell people what browsers they
> should use, and to assume everyone is using windows.

> Yahoo is crap.

Damn straight. They should be sacrificing revenue to run altruistic ads for
companies and products that don't pay. That would make shareholders happy,
and the additional employees they lay off due to further decreased revenue
would certainly be happier, right?

-- Mike --

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by T. Max Devli » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:17:26

Said Mike in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:44:47 GMT;

>> why the hell when I open yahoo web page, I see at the top with
>> big red letters a messages telling me that IE 6 is out and
>> to upgrade my browser?

>> is it the job of yahoo to advertised MS products?

>> since when?

>No, it's the job of Yahoo to make money. Those big red letters are paid for
>by Microsoft, to advertise their product.

>> why don't they too tell us that Mozilla version X is out, or Netscape
>> or opera or Konquerer etc...??

>I dunno, do you think it could be, say, _money_? You know, like maybe nobody
>at Mozilla Inc. remembered to place an ad?

"Remembered"?  Am I to assume you are a sock puppet, trying to obfuscate
Microsoft's illegal monopolization of the industry?  Are you unaware of
the billions and billions and billions of dollars of capital which MS
has unlawfully sucked out of the free market?

Quote:>> I do not think it is the job of Yahoo to tell people what browsers they
>> should use, and to assume everyone is using windows.

>> Yahoo is crap.

>Damn straight. They should be sacrificing revenue to run altruistic ads for
>companies and products that don't pay.

Indeed, they should.  Everyone should, in fact, do their part to resist
illegal monopolization.  But "they" are a corporation, so they won't.
Now; is that a _good_ thing, or a _bad_ thing?  Bear in mind there is no
such thing as a middle ground.  Good or bad?

Quote:>That would make shareholders happy,
>and the additional employees they lay off due to further decreased revenue
>would certainly be happier, right?

Who *ing gives a shit about greedy shareholders who want free money?

--
T. Max Devlin
  *** The best way to convince another is

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by frns » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:58:33

Quote:>Those big red letters are paid for
>by Microsoft, to advertise their product.

How do you know? It sure does not look like an Ad to us.

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:25:52

says...

> >Those big red letters are paid for
> >by Microsoft, to advertise their product.

> How do you know? It sure does not look like an Ad to us.

Because it's on the same Ad line as the other ads for the grammy awards and
the "Visa with Low APR".

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by Tim Cai » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 05:48:22

Quote:

>Who *ing gives a shit about greedy shareholders who want free money?

Anybody with an occupational pension?

Tim.

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by Tim Smit » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:38:45

>why the hell when I open yahoo web page, I see at the top with
>big red letters a messages telling me that IE 6 is out and
>to upgrade my browser?

Because Yahoo has a customized version of IE available.  You'd know
this if you'd have spent 10 seconds investigating, moron.

--Tim Smith

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by T. Max Devli » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 23:40:15

Said Tim Cain in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:48:22

>>Who *ing gives a shit about greedy shareholders who want free money?

>Anybody with an occupational pension?

No, that doesn't qualify, obviously.  But if you want to live in fear,
uncertainty, and doubt, you can scare yourself silly thinking that
pension plans will go bust because one company went bust, if you like.
Have fun.

--
T. Max Devlin
  *** The best way to convince another is
          to state your case moderately and
             accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by T. Max Devli » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 05:44:57

Said Tim Smith in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:38:45

>>why the hell when I open yahoo web page, I see at the top with
>>big red letters a messages telling me that IE 6 is out and
>>to upgrade my browser?

>Because Yahoo has a customized version of IE available.  You'd know
>this if you'd have spent 10 seconds investigating, moron.

There is a simpler explanation: because Microsoft monopolizes the
industry, illegally (as if there were any other way to monopolize, which
there isn't.)

--

Post by Fred K Olling » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 03:52:16

: Damn straight. They should be sacrificing revenue to run altruistic ads for
: companies and products that don't pay. That would make shareholders happy,

Why is does altuistic sound like a bad word here?
Also, is saving revenue good? If so then linux is good.

: and the additional employees they lay off due to further decreased revenue
: would certainly be happier, right?

Would running a mozilla ad really cause all this? I'd like to see some hard
numbers to back up this claim.

I'm not dictating their policy, I'm just curious about the above claims
which validate linux, but question altruism.

Fred

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by Fred K Olling » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 03:53:07

: >
: >Who *ing gives a shit about greedy shareholders who want free money?

: Anybody with an occupational pension?

Someone based their whole pension on yahoo stock? Wow.

Fred

is Yahoo owned by bill gates??

Post by bbal » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:11:31

>>Those big red letters are paid for
>>by Microsoft, to advertise their product.

>How do you know? It sure does not look like an Ad to us.

if gates owns yahoo, he runs Linux! (yahoo uses google's engine now)

1. For Once, I am supporting Bill Gates

Hi there,

I just want to express my support to Bill Gates.

This Congress inquiry in not about Linux vs. Windows anymore. It is
about whether the Establishment has the right to (ab)use their power to
protect their friends.

This might sound like conspiracy theory. But I think many people will
feel the same.

After all, Bill Gates is a good programmer. It's "us" vs. "the
Establishment".

Although Windows is quite crap, but Bill Gates himself is a cool guy who
wrote some cool code years ago especially the BASIC interpretter for
really limited machines then. He might have made a 'bad' choice to buy
other people's code later (MSDOS, Windows) to sell it to make real
fortune. Still this does not defeat his original contribution and
standing as a good programmer.

I like his GWBASIC very much. Maybe I owe it to him for the Basic
interpretter on Apple II and early PC as my first programming language.
Though I eventually "graduated" to Linux now, a programmer should
remember his first language and support the programmer who made "all
that" happen.

Liang Shing Ng
Linux User, Bill Gates "but not Windows" supporter.

2. Lockup help: scsi0: reseting for seconf half of retries

3. Observer: (Lindows) What Marx can tell us about Bill Gates

4. Change LSM hooks in setxattr against 2.5.68

5. Spoof on Microsoft and Bill Gates

6. ftp problem to linux server

7. Chad Mulligan = Bill Gates??

8. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

9. Bill Gates and perspective.

10. Top Ten Signs That Linux Has Bill Gates Worried

11. Bill Gates and Michael Dell

12. Bill Gates FOD's

13. How to Become As Rich As Bill Gates--{humour}