My Upgrade Experience RH 7.2 Enigma -> 7.3 Valhalla

My Upgrade Experience RH 7.2 Enigma -> 7.3 Valhalla

Post by rapska » Wed, 22 May 2002 14:10:35

Well, with all of my well meaning intentions, one of the biggest was to
get my main system upgraded, especially after the accounts both good and
bad that I've been hearing in this group about KDE3 and Valhalla.

So, here is a play by play...

Downloaded the iso's. Took about 4 hours for all three images.  Burned
them to disk with my *new* smokin' burner.  Backed up my home and usr
directories to CD's.  Ok, I'm set.

Popped in the Boot CD, rebooted.  The old familiar screen came up giving
me my setup type options.  At first I chose the graphical install by just
hitting enter.  This failed out with an error that it couldn't load a
widget set...crap!

Ok, no problem.  Rebooted, this time I chose the text install option. This
fired up without a hitch.  Even with the text install, everything is GUI
based, just character-based, not pixel.

Ran through the preliminaries, then it prompted me for what type of
install I would like; workstation, server, etc.  or upgrade.  I chose
upgrade.  It found my existing install no problems (contrary to what
someone else posted in this group).

Did a dependancy check and politely informed me that I had third party
apps instaled that may be broken if I continued.  Fine, continue.
Projected install time was 1hr 45 min.

Apprx an hour later it finished up installing the last of the 636 RPM's.
Then it prompted me whether I would like to create an install disk.  Hell
yes! Popped in a blank floppy and entered OK.  Uh oh...disk light solid,
but no floppy activity....flarg!  Waited a good 10 minutes and still
nothing, so I took a deep breath and rebooted...

Well, GRUB  came up no problems with a whole bunch of options that weren't
there before like debugging kernels and such.  The default image was
preselected.  Booted up with no problems, mounted all my drives local and
otherwise, about 45 seconds total to a login prompt, cool.

Logged in, and of course the first thing I want to check out is this
spanky new KDE!  Typed in

$ startx /usr/bin/startkde -- :0

And about 15 seconds later I'm looking at a very nice Desktop!  Fiddled
around with that some and made sure that most of my common programs were
still functional.  Tried out some of the new settings and themes (I really
like the marble theme).  I notice that KDE has really improved as far as
both look&feel and speed.  It is very fast and responsive now!  I was a
little unnerved because the default desktop style is so remiscent of XP
that I thought I was back in Redmond land....spooky!  I quickly changed
that!

This version uses the 2.4.18 kernel and I don't know if it has the
premptive patch incorporated or not, but it sure does seem to be
considerably faster and smoother overall.  Not like I had any complaints
before ;-)

One big thing that I noticed right away was that I am able to get the
1024x768 resolution under X finally!  I had a big problem with not being
able to secure that resolution with my RIVA 128 vid card.  Still have no
graphics acceleration though, so TuxRacer is out of the question :-(  I
will just have to upgrade my vid card at some point.

Definitely a noticable improvement with playing media.  Files load quicker
and play smoother.  Even seeking back and forth is almost instantaneous
with no desynch in audio or video.  Could be just implied perception, but
I swear that even sounds files seem to play a tad smoother and clearer as
well, but that's just my opinion.

Everything definitely loads faster no doubt about that.  Pan loads in like
half the time it took before.  Evolution was up and running in a few
seconds.  Even that beast StarOffice seems to load up a bit quicker.
network performance is about the same, but definitely an improvement in
rendering an scrolling pages.

All of my apps and settings seem to have remained intact, I haven't really
run the gamut with it yet, but so far everything seems fine.

All in all, I'd say it was worth it.  The improvement in video alone was
worth the upgrade, and the performance boost from an already impressive
system is just icing on the cake.  KDE3 is awesome!  I have to go play
with it some more...I'll keep you all informed as to any updates.

-=-=Vale=-=-

--
rapskat  -  7:05am  up 20 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.80, 0.59, 0.38
drop the hot to mail me

Better to build schoolrooms for the boy than cells and gibbets for the man. -- Eliza Cook

Post by Joe Potte » Wed, 22 May 2002 22:11:09

> Well, with all of my well meaning intentions, one of the biggest was to
> get my main system upgraded, especially after the accounts both good and
> bad that I've been hearing in this group about KDE3 and Valhalla.

> So, here is a play by play...

<snip --- great account>

Quote:

> All in all, I'd say it was worth it.  The improvement in video alone was
> worth the upgrade, and the performance boost from an already impressive
> system is just icing on the cake.  KDE3 is awesome!  I have to go play
> with it some more...I'll keep you all informed as to any updates.

I have tried out both Red Hat 7.3 with KDE3 and Suse with KDE3.

Both distros are advanced well past *any* M$ product I have ever seen.

Which is better? --- no way will I start that war!

(I must say, I am fond of Gentoo, but I can not recommend it at this time to
anyone not experience with linux distros)

--
Regards, Joe