Microsoft pushes for weakening of anti-spam law -- SEATTLETIMES.nwsource.com

Microsoft pushes for weakening of anti-spam law -- SEATTLETIMES.nwsource.com

Post by Daero » Tue, 06 May 2003 00:57:55

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134640869_we...

Microsoft pushes for weakening of anti-spam law
Paul Queary  --  The Associated Press

OLYMPIA Anti-spam activists and a state attorney have argued against
a proposal pushed by Microsoft that would weaken Washingtons tough
law against unwanted e- mail.

The Microsoft bill would cut the minimum award to $10, and cap damages
at $25,000 per day.

The bill, sponsored by Sen. Bill Finkbeiner, R-Kirkland, is being
brought forward in many states, said Scott Hazlegrove, a Microsoft
lobbyist. Its aimed at balancing the interests of consumers who dont
want to be spammed with businesses desire to tap the Internet as an
advertising medium, Hazlegrove said.

Neither Hazlegrove nor Microsoft spokeswoman Stacy Drake would comment
further on the companys motives for proposing the bill.
....... unquote .......

Post by d2003x » Tue, 06 May 2003 04:20:53

> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134640869_we...

> Microsoft pushes for weakening of anti-spam law
> Paul Queary  --  The Associated Press

> OLYMPIA Anti-spam activists and a state attorney have argued
> against a proposal pushed by Microsoft that would weaken
> Washingtons tough law against unwanted e- mail.

> The Microsoft bill would cut the minimum award to $10, and cap
> damages at $25,000 per day.

> The bill, sponsored by Sen. Bill Finkbeiner, R-Kirkland, is being
> brought forward in many states, said Scott Hazlegrove, a Microsoft
> lobbyist. Its aimed at balancing the interests of consumers who
> dont want to be spammed with businesses desire to tap the Internet
> as an advertising medium, Hazlegrove said.

> Neither Hazlegrove nor Microsoft spokeswoman Stacy Drake would
> comment further on the companys motives for proposing the bill.
> ....... unquote .......

This time M$ really did a good job.

                      http://www.usenet.com

Microsoft pushes for weakening of anti-spam law -- SEATTLETIMES.nwsource.com

Post by Seymour » Thu, 08 May 2003 17:05:00

Quote:>The Microsoft bill would cut the minimum award to $10, and cap
>damages at $25,000 per day.

How about a bill decriminalizing vandalism and setting a cap of $10?
This is a blatant attack on property rights.

Quote:>The bill, sponsored by Sen. Bill Finkbeiner, R-Kirkland, is being
>brought forward in many states, said Scott Hazlegrove, a Microsoft
>lobbyist. It s aimed at balancing the interests of consumers who don
>t want to be spammed with businesses  desire to tap the Internet as
>an advertising medium, Hazlegrove said.

How about a bill reducing the penalties for shoplifting and balancing
the rights of store ownerswho don't want to be ripped off with the
rights of citizens who desire to tap the stores as supplementary
income?

Mickey$oft is complaining about alleged piracy, yet it sees nothing
wrong with stealing from us and our providers?

Any unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action.  I reserve the
right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not reply

1. Microsoft pushes to be exempt from anti spam law !

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134640869_we...

Microsoft pushes for weakening of anti-spam law

By Paul Queary Web Feb 26 2003
The Associated Press

OLYMPIA Anti-spam activists and a state attorney have argued against
a proposal pushed by Microsoft that would weaken Washingtons tough
law against unwanted e- mail.

....... the above contrasts sharply with this .......

Hotmail puts squeeze on spam - Thursday, 19 September, 2002

Microsoft is taking action to cut down on the amount of spam
bombarding anyone with a Hotmail e-mail address.
In a deal with anti-spam firm Brightmail, Microsoft hopes to
significantly decrease the number of unsolicited mails reaching
subscribers' accounts.

2. Guarddog blocking packets on the same interface

3. Microsoft anti *linux* slush fund -- OUT-LAW.com

4. how to change keyboard settings under Red Hat 7.3

5. anti-spam s/w (was Re: SPAM MAIL BOMBER)

6. 2-byte character handling with Apache 1.3.3/Linux

7. Announce: spamcan-0.87, anti-spam sendmail patches to capture spam by regular expression

8. Internet Explorer has 95 percent of the market share.

9. Microsoft tries to prevent Schnazzle, nWsource.com

10. Microsoft's connection to SCO anti-Linux campaign -- NEWS.COM.com

11. court documents recycled for new iLOO ? -- SEATTLETIMES.nwsource.com

12. anti-spam

13. procmail and anti-spam