COLA FAQ 5 of 7 23-Nov-2002

Post by Kenneth Down » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 09:26:45

#
#  Recent Changes:
#
#  21-Sep-2002:  Removed Item on CLI, since we have that in the FAQ
#                already
#
#  21-Sep-2002:  Removed Scripting Shell, since we also have that now
#                as of this week thanks to Edgar Allen
#
#  21-Sep-2002:  Removed item "GUI is optional" and put it over into
#                Section 2, with excellent text and graphics provided
#                by Marcello Romani
#

                           TABLE OF CONTENTS - PART 5

          5.0   Part 5, Undeveloped Material

             5.1.0.0      Get a REAL Operating System!
             5.2.0.0      Pretty Pictures
             5.4.0.0      Some linux-specific implementations or
                             technologies
             5.5.0.0      The GNU Tools
             5.5.0.0      Potpouri

      Copyright (c)  2002.  This document is copyright by the individuals
      named in the credits, section 1.4.0.0.

      Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
      under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
      or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
      A copy of the license can be viewed at:

                      http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.txt

5.0  Undeveloped Material

  This section of the FAQ contains suggestions, comments, and so forth
  that have yet to be developed into actual finished material.

  The sections here were originally numbered, and some still are, but it
  is not really possible to maintain the numbering system as we pull
  out topics and move them elsewhere, so do not expect the numbering
  system to make any sense.

5.x.x.x  The GPL Attacks Intellectual Property.

  ITEM:  We have some coverage of MS's attacks on the GPL, but
         it seems we might develop it further and put it into
         the "Common Misconceptions" section.  Points to cover:

         -> What is IP?  Point out US Consitutional and legal
            definitions.

         -> Distinguish copyright, patent, trademark, etc.

         -> How the GPL protects copyright holders.

5.x.x.x  Linux really is not that secure (for Common Misconceptions
         part of the faq).

  ITEM:  This link is a good source for some of the nonsense
         we have been hearing:

         http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/2/12/61225/8865

5.1.0.0  Get a REAL Operating System!

#
#  Very exciting!  Edgar Allen has provided text to several points
#    here, so some of the items have been moved into Section 2.
#
#  this section now maps to section 2.8.0.0 of Part 2, as items
#    are developed, they will be removed from here and put there.
#

  A section generally describing the unix nature of Linux, and
  why this is good.

  ITEM:  Total Control at the CLI

  ITEM:  Logs

  ITEM:  Security.  Simple and powerful.

  ITEM:  CRON

  ITEM:  Combinations.  Pipes + CLI = command-line emailing

  ITEM:  scripting shell, like bash

  ITEM:  regular expressions

  ITEM:  Clusters and their types, such as high availability vs
         high performance, beowulf, etc.

5.2.0.0  Pretty Pictures

  More nifty discussion of KDE, GNOME, the whole X system,
  and how Linux has got enough eye-candy to give you
  eye-tooth-decay (or something like that).

5.4.0.0  Some linux-specific implementations or technologies

  ITEM:  iptables and ipchains.  Should go into the kernel
         section.

5.5.0.0  The GNU Tools

#
#  this section now maps to section 2.9.0.0 of Part 2, as items
#    are developed, they will be removed from here and put there.
#

  An ode to the GNU implementations of some old unix standards

  ITEM:  tar, gzip

5.5.0.0  Potpouri

#
#  this section now maps to section 2.99.0.0 of Part 2, as items
#    are developed, they will be removed from here and put there.
#

  Uncategorized things that are cool about Linux

  ITEM:  Humor.  You'll never see a commercial shop improve a program
         called "more" and name the result "less".  You'll never see them
         call the improved  Bourne shell the "Bourne-Again Shell."  Or
         naming the mail alerting program 'biff' because the guy who wrote
         it lived in the dorm at Berkeley and the dog which barked only at
         the mailman, no one else, was named Biff.

  ITEM:  Community.  Can't be beat.  Even with the god-awful antics on
         COLA, you meet some really good people.

  ITEM:  Real alternatives to conventional thinking.  Why replace Office?
         Why not deconstruct needs and get proper tools for the things you
         are trying to squash into Word?

#
#  We've got below the makings of a good reply on CLI.  We also
#  have a CLI entry already, and these two are very different.
#  Will leave this here for now.
#

Quote:>> No, Mike, we wonder why you [have to] use the command line to do

--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

--
Ken
Linux: the more you learn, the more you love

1. COLA FAQ 7 of 7 23-Nov-2002

#
#  Changes this week: none
#

                                TABLE OF CONTENTS

          The student asked, "What will this lesson teach?"  The master
          responded, "What will the student learn?"

      Copyright (c)  2002.  This document is copyright by the individuals
      named in the credits, section 1.4.0.0.

      Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
      under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
      or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
      A copy of the license can be viewed at:

                      http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.txt

      Please take special care to mention the author if you quote a koan,
      or you will lose enlightenment!

Gaining an appreciation of the concepts behind Linux is often referred to as
"enlightenment" or with other vague references to Eastern philosophy,
suggesting not only that one has learned something useful, but that one
has learned something to guide in solving future problems, a new way to
think about problems and the universe itself.  Koans are good for this.

Koans contributed by Alexander Krumbach:

  The pupil entered the newsgroup and inquired, "I'm trying to create
  hack-proof firewall. How do you folks have yours configured?"  The
  Master's reply was instantaneous: "In the manner that pleases me."

  When asked which was the best distribution, the answer was unanimous:
  all of them.

  A paid speaker at a Linux User Group was astounded to find the main host
  deeply involved in writing code upon their machine.  When he confronted
  the other hosts, they said "He has been this way for days."  The visitor
  tried speaking to the coder but obtained no response.  When a new
  user came to ask a question, the host immediatly got up to assist him.
  With this, the speaker attained enlightenment.

  A motivational speaker at a traditional software development conference
  asked, "What is the nature of software in development?" An attendee
  immediately replied, "Innovative thinking." The speaker then visited a
  Linux conference and asked, "What is the nature of software in
  development?"  After a prolonged silence, the Master stood and
  responded, "The more important question is, what is the nature of
  development in software?"

--
Ken
Linux: the more you learn, the more you love

2. arrow and space keys on 3400c

3. COLA FAQ 3 of 7 23-Nov-2002

4. NaughtRobot, digiCRIME.com ?? any info

5. COLA FAQ 6 of 7 23-Nov-2002

6. how do i get linux in my pc

7. COLA FAQ 2 of 7 23-Nov-2002

8. Looking for (user-mode) ultrasparc ecache flushing code

9. COLA FAQ 1 of 7 23-Nov-2002

10. COLA FAQ 4 of 7 23-Nov-2002

11. Unauthorized COLA FAQ 1/5 23-Jun-2002

12. Unauthorized COLA FAQ 3/5 23-Jun-2002

13. Unauthorized COLA FAQ 5/5 23-Jun-2002