Debate: PowerMac "trounces" Pentium....???

Debate: PowerMac "trounces" Pentium....???

Post by Symbion » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Powercomputing, Radius, Daystar, SuperMac, are all Macintosh Clone makers.
 Gateway was recently rejected, they wanted to make mac clones.

Debate: PowerMac "trounces" Pentium....???

Post by David Co » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Powercomputing, Radius, Daystar, SuperMac, are all Macintosh Clone makers.
> Gateway was recently rejected, they wanted to make mac clones.

Apple couldn't supply enough parts reliably; Gateway walked.

Post by John Dani » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >Powercomputing, Radius, Daystar, SuperMac, are all Macintosh Clone makers.
> > Gateway was recently rejected, they wanted to make mac clones.

> Apple couldn't supply enough parts reliably; Gateway walked.

Nope, Apple didn't want the competition. Michael S. said so himself.

John Daniel

--
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you"

Post by James J Herlbu » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>Powercomputing, Radius, Daystar, SuperMac, are all Macintosh Clone makers.
>> Gateway was recently rejected, they wanted to make mac clones.
>Apple couldn't supply enough parts reliably; Gateway walked.

I thought Apple backed out since it didn't want a major computing company
making Mac clones in the US.

Post by David Co » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>> >Powercomputing, Radius, Daystar, SuperMac, are all Macintosh Clone makers.
>> > Gateway was recently rejected, they wanted to make mac clones.

>> Apple couldn't supply enough parts reliably; Gateway walked.
>Nope, Apple didn't want the competition. Michael S. said so himself.

That's not what MacWeek said.

Post by John Dani » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >> Apple couldn't supply enough parts reliably; Gateway walked.
> >Nope, Apple didn't want the competition. Michael S. said so himself.

> That's not what MacWeek said.

That's right. MacWorld said it Jan. 1996 p. 89

I personally don't have a problem with it. I've bought and used Gateways and
they are pretty much your typical clone. OK computer, terrible tech support.
I don't want them associated with the Macintosh.

John Daniel

--

Post by Kevin Hay » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>Powercomputing, Radius, Daystar, SuperMac, are all Macintosh Clone makers.
>> Gateway was recently rejected, they wanted to make mac clones.

>Apple couldn't supply enough parts reliably; Gateway walked.

I find it interesting that Gateway walked. If they were really interested in
selling Mac clones they would wait for the end of the parts shortage.

Either they weren't really that interested at all, or something else
happened that we don't know about.

Hmmm... Compaq's VP uses a Mac, maybe we'll see Mac clones from them, now
that'd be an interesting situation. (unlikely, but interesting)

Cheers,
Kevin.

Post by Joe Ragos » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >>Powercomputing, Radius, Daystar, SuperMac, are all Macintosh Clone makers.
> >> Gateway was recently rejected, they wanted to make mac clones.

> >Apple couldn't supply enough parts reliably; Gateway walked.

> I find it interesting that Gateway walked. If they were really interested in
> selling Mac clones they would wait for the end of the parts shortage.

> Either they weren't really that interested at all, or something else
> happened that we don't know about.

> Hmmm... Compaq's VP uses a Mac, maybe we'll see Mac clones from them, now
> that'd be an interesting situation. (unlikely, but interesting)

Not at all unlikely. In fact, it will happen before the end of 96. Compaq
is one of the vendors committed to shipping CHRP (PPCP) clones. These will
run MacOS.

--
Regards,       Joe Ragosta

Copyright Joseph M. Ragosta, 1995. Non-exclusive, royalty free license to distribute this post granted to any service provider except Microsoft. Fee for Microsoft is $1,000 per posting.

Post by Robert Cassi » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >>Powercomputing, Radius, Daystar, SuperMac, are all Macintosh Clone makers.
> >> Gateway was recently rejected, they wanted to make mac clones.

> >Apple couldn't supply enough parts reliably; Gateway walked.

> I find it interesting that Gateway walked. If they were really interested in
> selling Mac clones they would wait for the end of the parts shortage.

> Either they weren't really that interested at all, or something else
> happened that we don't know about.

> Hmmm... Compaq's VP uses a Mac, maybe we'll see Mac clones from them, now
> that'd be an interesting situation. (unlikely, but interesting)

I don't think that Gateway is entirely out of the picture yet. The wording
on what happened was typically quite careful to say that any agreement was
put on hold, or some such. Not that Gateway was told that now and forever
they would be denied a license.

Compaq has always been somewhat interested in Mac clones. They may no
longer be after the big rebuild. CHRP makes everyone capable of creating a
Mac clone, they just may not be able to bundle the OS right off.

--
Bob Cassidy
UC Irvine

Debate: PowerMac "trounces" Pentium....???

Post by sidea guy » Wed, 27 Dec 1995 04:00:00

i personally noticed a big difference in speed going from a win 95 P120
16-4x to a PPC 100 (pmac7500) 16-4x, like maybe 15 percent or more. I was
actually surprised, but happy to see Apple get it right.

Post by Harlan W. Stockma » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>i personally noticed a big difference in speed going from a win 95 P120
>16-4x to a PPC 100 (pmac7500) 16-4x, like maybe 15 percent or more. I was

Could you be more specific?
In what applications, or with what
benchmarks, did you personally see
the difference?  "15 %" makes it
sound as if you have some exact timings.

--

Watch Lattice Gas flow simulations at:
http://www.sandia.gov/eesector/gs/gc/movies.html

Post by Branden R. Willia » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>i personally noticed a big difference in speed going from a win 95 P120
>>16-4x to a PPC 100 (pmac7500) 16-4x, like maybe 15 percent or more. I was

>Could you be more specific?
>In what applications, or with what
>benchmarks, did you personally see
>the difference?  "15 %" makes it
>sound as if you have some exact timings.

The neat thing about macintosh, is that it get's faster the longer you
have it!  As software becomes optimized for the chip, it runs faster.
Neato huh!

--

            IRC -- #macdev | http://www.netus.com/~brw/
            "Time heals what reason cannot." -- Seneca

Post by Anthony D. Tribel » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: The neat thing about macintosh, is that it get's faster the longer you
: have it!  As software becomes optimized for the chip, it runs faster.
: Neato huh!

This is not unique to the Macintosh. Minor OS revisions often have
performance improvements: Win3.0 -> 3.1, OS/2 2.0 -> 2.1, WinNT 3.1 ->
3.5, ... Win96/97 will probably have better performance than 95.

What will be really interesting is how Copeland performs compared to
System 7.5. Will the greater percentage of native code overcome the
"enhancements" that slow down other areas. Getting those candy-striped
window frames cost CPU cycles. Personally I'm expecting Copeland to be a
Win95-ish wimpy upgrade, Gershwin is what I really want.

Tony
--
------------------
Tony Tribelli

Debate: PowerMac "trounces" Pentium....???

Post by Robert Abo » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

tes:
:>
:>i personally noticed a big difference in speed going from a win 95 P120
:>16-4x to a PPC 100 (pmac7500) 16-4x, like maybe 15 percent or more. I was
:>actually surprised, but happy to see Apple get it right.
:>

May I ask you how you determined this?  I work in a real computer store and
not some damn department store that happens to sell computers.  I sell real
Apple PowerMacs (not Performas but real PowerMacs) and real computers and not
some damn Packard Bell or Gateway clone.  I will admit that a PM is fast,
however I cannot say that the PM trounces on the Pentium in any one given
application.

What applications are you using to base your opinion on?  Do you have
any bench marks to compare the two?

<---------------------- Brag Sheet --------------------------------->

Robert Aboud                    Member Team OS/2 Since 1991
OS/2 BESTeam member             OS/2 Champions Member
A+ Certified Technician

1. Debate: PowerMac "trounces" Pentium....???

I agree. I have a P90 and an 8100/80. They share a CTX 20" display with
BNC & VGA ports, share an HP printer via its parallel and appletalk port,
and share a modem via the old cable swap. On top of that, I regularly
move 72-pin simms between systems as needed. They can use each other's
SCSI drives, CDROM drive, Zip drive.

The monitor part is great. I can switch systems by pressing a button on
the front panel to switch inputs (I can bring a Sun workstation home from
work and do the same thing with thsi display).

Basically, memory and any external devices are interchangeable. With the
new PCI mac's some video cards are interchangeable too, but you don't get
any acceleration on the Mac unless you get a new BIOS and software
drivers. Alas, the new Mac's use DIMM's that cannot be swapped.

WT

2. CDROM is Now HDD ?

3. QIC tape drive for floppy disk controller

4. Debate: Powermac " trouces" Pentium....???

5. web server via PPP

7. g77 problem

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. "Unix trounces NT"

11. Signal-11 cured with boxed Pentium -- beware "grey market" Pentiums

12. "umsdos" vs "vfat" vs "looped ext2"