buy us out says SCO's CEO to IBM COMPUTERWORLD.com

buy us out says SCO's CEO to IBM COMPUTERWORLD.com

Post by Daero » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 17:51:24

http://www.veryComputer.com/
SCO's CEO says buyout could end Linux fight
His comments came in response to an analyst's proposed scenario
TODD R. WEISS  MAY 30 2003

"If there's a way of resolving this that is positive, then we can get
back out to business and everybody is good to go, then I'm fine with
that," McBride said today in an interview with Computerworld. "If that's
one of the outcomes of this, then so be it."
---

"I'm not trying to*up the Linux business," he said. "I'm trying to
take care of the shareholders, employees and people who have been having
their rights *led on."
---

  "Even if you potentially had a problem [with concerns about Unix code
in Linux back then], what are you going to do?" McBride asked. "Sue
Linus Torvalds? And get what?"
---

"The notion that we're going to sit back and let the Linux steamroller
go over us at our expense, at the shareholders' expense, makes zero
sense to me."
---

"It's sort of like somebody stealing your car, and you hunt them down
and you find them, and they say you can have your car back, but there's
no penalty for that," McBride said. "If there's no penalty for stealing
property, then where are we?"

---

June "will be show-and-tell time," McBride said. "We're not going to
show two lines of code. We're going to show hundreds of lines of code"
that allegedly violate SCO's intellectual property.
-------

http://www.veryComputer.com/,10801,81709,...
---

Post by Tim Tyle » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 10:50:05

: "It's sort of like somebody stealing your car, [...]"

It's a lot more like somebody copying your car.
--
__________

Post by Nigel Feltha » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:21:54

> : "It's sort of like somebody stealing your car, [...]"

> It's a lot more like somebody copying your car.

It's a lot more like Ford licencing one of their designs to Toyota then a
few months later Toyota taking GM to court for infringing that Ford Design
without any proof just because both designs have similarities (both have 5
doors, 4 wheels and a steering wheel so they must have copied us).

--
begin  sig
Not the moderator of Comp.Os.Linux.Advocacy

Post by Daero » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 17:44:25

>>: "It's sort of like somebody stealing your car, [...]"

>>It's a lot more like somebody copying your car.

> It's a lot more like Ford licencing one of their designs to Toyota then a
> few months later Toyota taking GM to court for infringing that Ford Design
> without any proof just because both designs have similarities (both have 5
> doors, 4 wheels and a steering wheel so they must have copied us).

"I'm not trying to*up the Linux business"

translation: give me money or I will*up the Linux business

Post by Paul Colquhou » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:40:32

| http://www.veryComputer.com/
| SCO's CEO says buyout could end Linux fight
| His comments came in response to an analyst's proposed scenario
| TODD R. WEISS  MAY 30 2003
|
| "If there's a way of resolving this that is positive, then we can get
| back out to business and everybody is good to go, then I'm fine with
| that," McBride said today in an interview with Computerworld. "If that's
| one of the outcomes of this, then so be it."
| ---
|
| "I'm not trying to*up the Linux business," he said. "I'm trying to
| take care of the shareholders, employees and people who have been having
| their rights *led on."
| ---
|
|   "Even if you potentially had a problem [with concerns about Unix code
| in Linux back then], what are you going to do?" McBride asked. "Sue
| Linus Torvalds? And get what?"
| ---

The correct response to this situation, IMHO (and IANAL) should have
been to contact Linus and get the infringing content removed. Instead
they appear to have thought to themselves "Getting this removed from
Linux *now* will not get us any money, but if we wait until some rich
company gets involved and *then* make a fuss abount it, we could really
rake in the dough".

Not the most honest of attitudes, and I hope this *s up the case in
court.

Post by Peter K?hlman » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:36:44

> | http://www.veryComputer.com/
> | SCO's CEO says buyout could end Linux fight
> | His comments came in response to an analyst's proposed scenario
> | TODD R. WEISS  MAY 30 2003
> |
> | "If there's a way of resolving this that is positive, then we can get
> | back out to business and everybody is good to go, then I'm fine with
> | that," McBride said today in an interview with Computerworld. "If
> | that's one of the outcomes of this, then so be it."
> | ---
> |
> | "I'm not trying to*up the Linux business," he said. "I'm trying
> | to take care of the shareholders, employees and people who have been
> | having their rights *led on."
> | ---
> |
> |   "Even if you potentially had a problem [with concerns about Unix
> |   code
> | in Linux back then], what are you going to do?" McBride asked. "Sue
> | Linus Torvalds? And get what?"
> | ---

> The correct response to this situation, IMHO (and IANAL) should have
> been to contact Linus and get the infringing content removed. Instead
> they appear to have thought to themselves "Getting this removed from
> Linux *now* will not get us any money, but if we wait until some rich
> company gets involved and *then* make a fuss abount it, we could really
> rake in the dough".

> Not the most honest of attitudes, and I hope this *s up the case in
> court.

There seems to be something wrong with your setup, as this same post is
sent every 20 minutes
--
99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Post by Paul Colquhou » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:40:28

| http://www.veryComputer.com/
| SCO's CEO says buyout could end Linux fight
| His comments came in response to an analyst's proposed scenario
| TODD R. WEISS  MAY 30 2003
|
| "If there's a way of resolving this that is positive, then we can get
| back out to business and everybody is good to go, then I'm fine with
| that," McBride said today in an interview with Computerworld. "If that's
| one of the outcomes of this, then so be it."
| ---
|
| "I'm not trying to*up the Linux business," he said. "I'm trying to
| take care of the shareholders, employees and people who have been having
| their rights *led on."
| ---
|
|   "Even if you potentially had a problem [with concerns about Unix code
| in Linux back then], what are you going to do?" McBride asked. "Sue
| Linus Torvalds? And get what?"
| ---

The correct response to this situation, IMHO (and IANAL) should have
been to contact Linus and get the infringing content removed. Instead
they appear to have thought to themselves "Getting this removed from
Linux *now* will not get us any money, but if we wait until some rich
company gets involved and *then* make a fuss abount it, we could really
rake in the dough".

Not the most honest of attitudes, and I hope this *s up the case in
court.

| "The notion that we're going to sit back and let the Linux steamroller
| go over us at our expense, at the shareholders' expense, makes zero
| sense to me."
| ---
|
| "It's sort of like somebody stealing your car, and you hunt them down
| and you find them, and they say you can have your car back, but there's
| no penalty for that," McBride said. "If there's no penalty for stealing
| property, then where are we?"
|
| ---
|
| June "will be show-and-tell time," McBride said. "We're not going to
| show two lines of code. We're going to show hundreds of lines of code"
| that allegedly violate SCO's intellectual property.
| -------
|
| http://www.veryComputer.com/,10801,81709,...
| ---

1. SCO's NDA offer a PR stunt COMPUTERWORLD.com

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,81...
Analysts to SCO: No thanks to code review offer
Linus Torvalds likened the fight to a Jerry Springer episode
Patrick Thibodeau, Todd R. Weiss  MAY 30 2003
-
Analysts are balking at The SCO Group Inc.'s offer to view its proof
that there is illegal Unix code in Linux, with one calling the move a
publicity stunt. Meanwhile, Linux creator Linus Torvalds today said that
he has no plans to look at the code and that the battle between SCO, IBM
and Novell Inc. is on par with a rancorous episode of the Jerry Springer
Show.
---

But Giga Information Group Inc. analyst Stacey Quandt said she has
discussed SCO's offer with her legal counsel, and if she signs an NDA,
it may hinder her ability to write about it. She could get subpoenaed as
well. Quandt called the offer a PR stunt.
-------

2. Not executing rc files properly when booting...

3. Linux Vendors Reject SCO's Legal Claims -- COMPUTERWORLD.COM

4. kppp question

5. Microsoft 'battles' spam [ not ] -- COMPUTERWORLD.com

6. Merge/Purge

7. questionable motives of Microsoft SCO deal -- COMPUTERWORLD.com

8. X windows with Cirrus Logic - HELP!

9. SCO intends to produce evidence COMPUTERWORLD.com

10. desperate act of a has-been company, SCO -- COMPUTERWORLD.com

11. SCO's CEO Says Buyout Could End Linux Fight

12. Linux is on fire -- COMPUTERWORLD.com

13. Microsoft to certify security professionals computerWORLD.com