Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM

Post by Daero » Fri, 23 May 2003 16:00:46

>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

>>Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
>>Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

>>The information in this article applies to:

>>     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
>>     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
>>     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
>>     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
>>     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
>>     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
>>     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
>>     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
>>     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
>>     * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>>     * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>>     * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
>>     * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>>     * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
>>     * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

>>This article was previously published under Q306203
>>SYMPTOMS

>>With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
>>Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
>>filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
>>firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

>>---

>>TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
>>AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
>>....... unquote .......

> Now wait a minute. I thought they were really serious about security
> and they were going to design and release EVERYTHING with that in mind!
> Didn't they all go to some room and toss the word "security" around for
> a few hours? Weren't there press releases and leaked memos about how
> serious they were? Didn't His Billness send out emails to tell Really
> Important People(tm) that nothing was more important to them than
> security?

Interesting concise and to the point, Sinister.
ps: his billness is spelt all lower case :)

Post by Roy Cull » Fri, 23 May 2003 17:13:16

>>> When was IPv6 released on Windows as a supported networking protocol, as
>>> opposed to a beta, for-developers-only protocol?

>> And most everyone else has supported ipv6 for several years. Japan
>> wanted to move to ipv6 a couple of years ago but couldn't because MS
>> didn't support it. Why is the 'greatest' SW company always so far
>> behind?

> When was IPv6 standardized, Roy?

> When will it have officially been ratified?

> Face it, Roy, you don't know. The truth of the matter is that ipv6 - for
> all of the shouting - is not an official standard yet.

The IETF has been trying to push ipv6 adoption for several years. The
biggest problem has been MS's lack of support / commitment:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9908/31/micro.stall.idg/

Development of ipv6 will continue for years after it starts being
adopted world wide just as ipv4 has. The protocol and implementations
of the protocol have been ready for several years. It is MS that are
the problem yet again.

Post by Simon Cook » Fri, 23 May 2003 18:50:23

>>>And most everyone else has supported ipv6 for several years. Japan
>>>wanted to move to ipv6 a couple of years ago but couldn't because MS
>>>didn't support it. Why is the 'greatest' SW company always so far
>>>behind?

>> When was IPv6 standardized, Roy?

>> When will it have officially been ratified?

>> Face it, Roy, you don't know. The truth of the matter is that ipv6 - for
>> all of the shouting - is not an official standard yet.

> <snip>

> ** I thought you WinTROLLS didn't believe in standards as they would
> only slow down 'innovation'

You thought wrong.

Nice attempt to change the subject when proven wrong, Daeron. As I've said
before, you're lame. Very very lame.

Simon

Post by Simon Cook » Fri, 23 May 2003 18:54:31

>>> And most everyone else has supported ipv6 for several years. Japan
>>> wanted to move to ipv6 a couple of years ago but couldn't because MS
>>> didn't support it. Why is the 'greatest' SW company always so far
>>> behind?

>> When was IPv6 standardized, Roy?

>> When will it have officially been ratified?

>> Face it, Roy, you don't know. The truth of the matter is that ipv6 - for
>> all of the shouting - is not an official standard yet.

> The IETF has been trying to push ipv6 adoption for several years. The
> biggest problem has been MS's lack of support / commitment:

> http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9908/31/micro.stall.idg/

> Development of ipv6 will continue for years after it starts being
> adopted world wide just as ipv4 has. The protocol and implementations
> of the protocol have been ready for several years. It is MS that are
> the problem yet again.

Answer the question:

Is IPv6 an official standard and not a draft standard yet?

I'll answer for you: No, it isn't. I don't recall Microsoft having enough
sway over the IETF to stop them from completely acknowledging a standard.

So what's the hold up?

Simon

Post by Jim Richardso » Fri, 23 May 2003 18:40:22

--
Jim Richardson         http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()

Post by Daero » Fri, 23 May 2003 22:16:51

>>>Oh come on.  Who, exactly, has an IPv6 internet connection?  AFAIK, all
>>>IPv6 networks connected on the net are connected via a translation
>>>gateway which would do firewalling anyways.

>>Obviously not MS :-)

>>We have a number of systems running IPV6 and connected to the internet.  I
>>know this a/ because I installed them and b/ because I see the crackers
>>probing for security problems using IPV6.

> Then why, pray tell, do your headers have only IPv4 data in them?

< Geoff this is FrankenTROLL implying that you are lying.. Because he is
deceptive in his dealings with people and lying is SecodNature to him,
he assumes that everyone else does it. >

Quote:> I'd also have to ask, what NAP are you connected to that provides an IPv6
> feed?  Or are you talking Internet 2?

  Geoff, this is known as the FunkenSHUFFLE. Something you will become
familiar with if you hang round enough. This one is known as change the
intrepertation. As in what you really meant was you were running
'Internet 2' and not IPV6.

  Do you see, Geoff, erik can never be wrong or contradicted, so
therefore you must be either a> incompetent or b> lying.

Don't think he singled you out for special abuse. He's like this with
everyone.

Post by Daero » Fri, 23 May 2003 22:30:41

>>>When was IPv6 standardized, Roy?

>>>When will it have officially been ratified?

>>>Face it, Roy, you don't know. The truth of the matter is that ipv6 - for
>>>all of the shouting - is not an official standard yet.

>><snip>

>>** I thought you WinTROLLS didn't believe in standards as they would
>>only slow down 'innovation'

> You thought wrong.

> Nice attempt to change the subject when proven wrong, Daeron. As I've said
> before, you're lame. Very very lame.

er, trollBOY, it was me who started the thread on how the Microsoft
Firewall doesn't work. It is you who is trying the shuffle of waffling
on about 'standards. This I have shown up to be just so much
distractionFUD. This thread and this subject being:

the basic FIREWALL and the ICF DOES NOT BLOCK or filter IPv6 traffic.
---

If you want to 'dicuuss' standards and what Microsoft have done to
* them then I'm ready. You go first. New thread. Subject: "How
Microsoft have polluted and distorted standards to promote their own
agenda to monopolise the Internet"

Post by cybea » Fri, 23 May 2003 23:35:40

>>> Oh come on.  Who, exactly, has an IPv6 internet connection?  AFAIK, all
>>> IPv6 networks connected on the net are connected via a translation
>>> gateway which would do firewalling anyways.

>> Obviously not MS :-)

>> We have a number of systems running IPV6 and connected to the internet.
>> I know this a/ because I installed them and b/ because I see the crackers
>> probing for security problems using IPV6.

> Then why, pray tell, do your headers have only IPv4 data in them?

Geee, did he say "ALL" or "a number"???? His headers prove NOTHING about his
claim.

Post by Simon Cook » Sat, 24 May 2003 03:24:56

>>><snip>

>>>** I thought you WinTROLLS didn't believe in standards as they would
>>>only slow down 'innovation'

>> You thought wrong.

>> Nice attempt to change the subject when proven wrong, Daeron. As I've said
>> before, you're lame. Very very lame.

> er, trollBOY, it was me who started the thread on how the Microsoft
> Firewall doesn't work. It is you who is trying the shuffle of waffling
> on about 'standards. This I have shown up to be just so much
> distractionFUD. This thread and this subject being:

> the basic FIREWALL and the ICF DOES NOT BLOCK or filter IPv6 traffic.

So what? IPv6 is not a standard yet. Come back when it is one, instead of
you hoping that it's one.

Quote:> If you want to 'dicuuss' standards and what Microsoft have done to
> * them then I'm ready. You go first. New thread. Subject: "How
> Microsoft have polluted and distorted standards to promote their own
> agenda to monopolise the Internet"

Irrelevent. You want to discuss that, you start a thread to do it.

Simon

Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM

Post by Jim Richardso » Sat, 24 May 2003 05:34:20

On Fri, 23 May 2003 01:24:56 GMT,

>>> You thought wrong.

>>> Nice attempt to change the subject when proven wrong, Daeron. As I've said
>>> before, you're lame. Very very lame.

>> er, trollBOY, it was me who started the thread on how the Microsoft
>> Firewall doesn't work. It is you who is trying the shuffle of waffling
>> on about 'standards. This I have shown up to be just so much
>> distractionFUD. This thread and this subject being:

>> the basic FIREWALL and the ICF DOES NOT BLOCK or filter IPv6 traffic.

> So what? IPv6 is not a standard yet. Come back when it is one, instead of
> you hoping that it's one.

you think MICROS~1 will have their shit together by then?

Why?

Quote:>> If you want to 'dicuuss' standards and what Microsoft have done to
>> * them then I'm ready. You go first. New thread. Subject: "How
>> Microsoft have polluted and distorted standards to promote their own
>> agenda to monopolise the Internet"

> Irrelevent. You want to discuss that, you start a thread to do it.

He just did.

--
Jim Richardson         http://www.veryComputer.com/~warlock

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()