Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM

Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM

Post by Daero » Wed, 21 May 2003 22:40:32

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
     * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
     * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
     * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
     * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
     * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
     * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

SYMPTOMS

With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

---

TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
....... unquote .......

Post by Jim Richardso » Thu, 22 May 2003 00:39:29

--
Jim Richardson         http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()

Post by Sinister Midge » Thu, 22 May 2003 03:51:11

Quote:> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

> Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
> Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

> The information in this article applies to:

>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

> This article was previously published under Q306203
> SYMPTOMS

> With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
> Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
> filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
> firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

> ---

> TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
> AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
> ....... unquote .......

Now wait a minute. I thought they were really serious about security
and they were going to design and release EVERYTHING with that in mind!
Didn't they all go to some room and toss the word "security" around for
a few hours? Weren't there press releases and leaked memos about how
serious they were? Didn't His Billness send out emails to tell Really
Important People(tm) that nothing was more important to them than
security?

I guess deactivating people's hardware or software was more urgent.

At least there's the upside that they don't have to admit publicly that
it did a piss-poor job from the get-go. Now they can at least pretend
that this is a new development.

--
The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.

Post by cybea » Thu, 22 May 2003 04:13:42

> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

> Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
> Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

> The information in this article applies to:

>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

> This article was previously published under Q306203
> SYMPTOMS

> With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
> Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
> filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
> firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

> ---

> TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
> AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
> ....... unquote .......

Where is Erik saying that what MS said is not really what MS meant?

Post by Simon Cook » Thu, 22 May 2003 05:12:51

> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

> Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
> Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

> The information in this article applies to:

>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

> This article was previously published under Q306203
> SYMPTOMS

> With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
> Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
> filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
> firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

> ---

> TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
> AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
> ....... unquote .......

When was IPv6 released on Windows as a supported networking protocol, as
opposed to a beta, for-developers-only protocol?

Simon

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Thu, 22 May 2003 06:21:43

> smoked:

>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

>> Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
>> Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

>> The information in this article applies to:

>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

>> This article was previously published under Q306203
>> SYMPTOMS

>> With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
>> Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
>> filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
>> firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

>> ---

>> TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
>> AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
>> ....... unquote .......

> Now wait a minute. I thought they were really serious about security
> and they were going to design and release EVERYTHING with that in mind!
> Didn't they all go to some room and toss the word "security" around for
> a few hours? Weren't there press releases and leaked memos about how
> serious they were? Didn't His Billness send out emails to tell Really
> Important People(tm) that nothing was more important to them than
> security?

> I guess deactivating people's hardware or software was more urgent.

> At least there's the upside that they don't have to admit publicly that
> it did a piss-poor job from the get-go. Now they can at least pretend
> that this is a new development.

Oh come on.  Who, exactly, has an IPv6 internet connection?  AFAIK, all IPv6
networks connected on the net are connected via a translation gateway which
would do firewalling anyways.

Does the linux kernel firewall handle IPv6?

Post by Freerid » Thu, 22 May 2003 07:12:12

> Does the linux kernel firewall handle IPv6?

http://www.gibraltar.at/index.php?home_eng

"Full IPv4, IPv6, IPX and Appletalk protocol support: Gibraltar is one of
the first firewall solutions to completely support IPv6 for packet
forwarding, firewalling, NAT, mail relaying and DNS resolution. With
Gibraltar, an IPv6-only network is already possible and mixed IPv4 / IPv6
environments are very easy to set up."

You know for someone who spend a shit load of time in a Linux groups you
sure the hell do not know much about it. Maybe you time would be better
spend reading a couple of good books and learning about the OS you hate
some much.

Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM

Post by Jim Richardso » Thu, 22 May 2003 07:44:48

On Wed, 21 May 2003 04:21:43 GMT,

>> smoked:

>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

>>> Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
>>> Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

>>> The information in this article applies to:

>>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
>>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
>>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
>>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
>>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
>>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
>>>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
>>>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
>>>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
>>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
>>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
>>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

>>> This article was previously published under Q306203
>>> SYMPTOMS

>>> With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
>>> Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
>>> filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
>>> firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

>>> ---

>>> TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
>>> AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
>>> ....... unquote .......

>> Now wait a minute. I thought they were really serious about security
>> and they were going to design and release EVERYTHING with that in mind!
>> Didn't they all go to some room and toss the word "security" around for
>> a few hours? Weren't there press releases and leaked memos about how
>> serious they were? Didn't His Billness send out emails to tell Really
>> Important People(tm) that nothing was more important to them than
>> security?

>> I guess deactivating people's hardware or software was more urgent.

>> At least there's the upside that they don't have to admit publicly that
>> it did a piss-poor job from the get-go. Now they can at least pretend
>> that this is a new development.

> Oh come on.  Who, exactly, has an IPv6 internet connection?  AFAIK, all IPv6
> networks connected on the net are connected via a translation gateway which
> would do firewalling anyways.

Allways an excuse.

Quote:> Does the linux kernel firewall handle IPv6?

Yes.

--

Post by Roy Cull » Fri, 23 May 2003 02:00:50

>>> With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
>>> Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
>>> filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
>>> firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

>>> ---

>>> TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
>>> AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
>>> ....... unquote .......

>> Now wait a minute. I thought they were really serious about security
>> and they were going to design and release EVERYTHING with that in mind!
>> Didn't they all go to some room and toss the word "security" around for
>> a few hours? Weren't there press releases and leaked memos about how
>> serious they were? Didn't His Billness send out emails to tell Really
>> Important People(tm) that nothing was more important to them than
>> security?

>> I guess deactivating people's hardware or software was more urgent.

>> At least there's the upside that they don't have to admit publicly that
>> it did a piss-poor job from the get-go. Now they can at least pretend
>> that this is a new development.

> Oh come on.  Who, exactly, has an IPv6 internet connection?  AFAIK,
> all IPv6 networks connected on the net are connected via a
> translation gateway which would do firewalling anyways.

Japan has wanted to move to ipv6 for a couple of years now. What's
stopping them?  MS OS's.

Quote:> Does the linux kernel firewall handle IPv6?

Shows you have never built a Linux kernel recently.

Post by Roy Cull » Fri, 23 May 2003 02:07:44

>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

>> Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
>> Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

>> The information in this article applies to:

>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
>>      * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

>> This article was previously published under Q306203
>> SYMPTOMS

>> With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
>> Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
>> filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
>> firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

>> ---

>> TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
>> AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
>> ....... unquote .......

> When was IPv6 released on Windows as a supported networking protocol, as
> opposed to a beta, for-developers-only protocol?

And most everyone else has supported ipv6 for several years. Japan
wanted to move to ipv6 a couple of years ago but couldn't because MS
didn't support it. Why is the 'greatest' SW company always so far
behind?

Post by Simon Cook » Fri, 23 May 2003 04:35:02

>> When was IPv6 released on Windows as a supported networking protocol, as
>> opposed to a beta, for-developers-only protocol?

> And most everyone else has supported ipv6 for several years. Japan
> wanted to move to ipv6 a couple of years ago but couldn't because MS
> didn't support it. Why is the 'greatest' SW company always so far
> behind?

When was IPv6 standardized, Roy?

When will it have officially been ratified?

Face it, Roy, you don't know. The truth of the matter is that ipv6 - for
all of the shouting - is not an official standard yet.

When you're doing something as complicated as an entire new networking
protocol for the Internet, it helps to have everyone start from the same,
final standard, instead of having many different, incompatible
implementations.

For example, take the OOB data handling in TCP/IP. No-one can use it,
because different networking stacks have different ideas of what the OOB
data is.

BTW: Just FYI, the IPv6 working group appears to be aiming for a November
2003 completion of their charter. That means, unless you're really happy to
be on the bleeding edge, and willing to risk your data, your customers,
your data security, your time and your effort, you probably shouldn't move
to it until then. Heck, don't even move to it for a couple of years just to
be sure and let them work the bugs out.

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipv6-charter.html

Simon

Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Fri, 23 May 2003 05:54:26

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Daeron

 wrote
on Tue, 20 May 2003 21:40:32 +0100

Quote:> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

> Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
> Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

> The information in this article applies to:

>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
>      * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
>      * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

> This article was previously published under Q306203
> SYMPTOMS

> With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
> Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
> filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
> firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

> ---

> TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
> AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
> ....... unquote .......

Bizarre.  Perhaps I'm naive about such things, but I thought
the idea of a firewall was to block everything except that
which is desired....?!

My brain hurts.

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

Post by Geoff Lan » Fri, 23 May 2003 12:47:28

> Oh come on.  Who, exactly, has an IPv6 internet connection?  AFAIK, all IPv6
> networks connected on the net are connected via a translation gateway which
> would do firewalling anyways.

Obviously not MS :-)

We have a number of systems running IPV6 and connected to the internet.  I
know this a/ because I installed them and b/ because I see the crackers
probing for security problems using IPV6.

--
/\ Geoff. Lane. /\ Manchester Computing /\ Manchester /\ M13 9PL /\ England /\

Smash forehead against keyboard to continue...

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Fri, 23 May 2003 13:24:57

>> Oh come on.  Who, exactly, has an IPv6 internet connection?  AFAIK, all
>> IPv6 networks connected on the net are connected via a translation
>> gateway which would do firewalling anyways.

> Obviously not MS :-)

> We have a number of systems running IPV6 and connected to the internet.  I
> know this a/ because I installed them and b/ because I see the crackers
> probing for security problems using IPV6.

Then why, pray tell, do your headers have only IPv4 data in them?

I'd also have to ask, what NAP are you connected to that provides an IPv6
feed?  Or are you talking Internet 2?

Post by Daero » Fri, 23 May 2003 15:46:57

>>>When was IPv6 released on Windows as a supported networking protocol, as
>>>opposed to a beta, for-developers-only protocol?

>>And most everyone else has supported ipv6 for several years. Japan
>>wanted to move to ipv6 a couple of years ago but couldn't because MS
>>didn't support it. Why is the 'greatest' SW company always so far
>>behind?

> When was IPv6 standardized, Roy?

> When will it have officially been ratified?

> Face it, Roy, you don't know. The truth of the matter is that ipv6 - for
> all of the shouting - is not an official standard yet.

<snip>

** I thought you WinTROLLS didn't believe in standards as they would
only slow down 'innovation'

"They're not going to stop supporting OpenGL. They've just given up
trying to get anything done through the ARB, since the process is so
damn slow."
                Erik f**********  --  Mar 04 2003

1. Bombing Microsoft (was Microsoft Pays Off Internet Sercice Providers!)

And you had better locate those off site backup copies of
their code base and burn em' too.  The thought of blowing
up M$ is an entertaining one.  But who would be loonie
enough to do a stupid thing like that?

*--------------------------<>-------------------------------*
"Destroy and Enjoy Kiddies" DrFegg.  Using OS/2
"Unum probate nullam ultram necessitatum habete." ILLCO, INC.
"Do you still see me even here?
The silver cord lies on the ground."  Jethro Tull 1973
*--------------------------<>-------------------------------*

2. How to change the permanent IP

3. sendmail version that blocks email traffic from Microsoft products ?

4. freebsd.news.groups

5. Microsoft security update cripples Internet for users -- BOSTONHERALD.com

6. How to command a program after it is started from the script?

7. Microsoft uses non-compete clause to stifle home networking innovation, news.COM.com

8. term question

9. Microsoft's connection to SCO anti-Linux campaign -- NEWS.COM.com

10. Microsoft to offer antivirus systems, news.COM.com

11. Microsoft bundles Operating System with IE NEWS.COM.com

12. FreeBSD and microsoft.com

13. microsoft.com