Frustrated with Windows? Read on....

Post by reli » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:22:03

As predicted, alw wrote this:

Quote:> Tired of re-installing a countinously-rebooting, crash-prone computer?

> Many new users are becoming aware of the alternatives that exist in
> operating systems and applications. While Linux has made a big splash
> in the enterprise with coporations like IBM, HP etc., the fact is
> that many average usres will find Linux very easy to install and use;
> they will no doubt take advantage of the myriards of high quality
> applications available to them.

> Read this excellent article to transition from Windows to Linux.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Once you make the switch, you'll be glad you did and will NEVER look
> back!

What a Linux* luser.  Go back to smelling bicycle seats.

--
- relic -
Resident Psychic: alt.os.windows-xp

Post by alw » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:11:11

> What a Linux* luser.  Go back to smelling bicycle seats.

I think you mean "Loser", or maybe you meant "Luster".

BWHAAAAHAAHAAHAHA.......

Post by Obero » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:15:10

> As predicted, alw wrote this:
>> Tired of re-installing a countinously-rebooting, crash-prone computer?

>> Many new users are becoming aware of the alternatives that exist in
>> operating systems and applications. While Linux has made a big splash
>> in the enterprise with coporations like IBM, HP etc., the fact is
>> that many average usres will find Linux very easy to install and use;
>> they will no doubt take advantage of the myriards of high quality
>> applications available to them.

>> Read this excellent article to transition from Windows to Linux.

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> Once you make the switch, you'll be glad you did and will NEVER look
>> back!

> What a Linux* luser.  Go back to smelling bicycle seats.

Whats wrong with Linux? Have you got something to back up your comments?

Post by Pierre de Ferma » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:46:36

> As predicted, alw wrote this:
>> Tired of re-installing a countinously-rebooting, crash-prone computer?

>> Many new users are becoming aware of the alternatives that exist in
>> operating systems and applications. While Linux has made a big splash
>> in the enterprise with coporations like IBM, HP etc., the fact is
>> that many average usres will find Linux very easy to install and use;
>> they will no doubt take advantage of the myriards of high quality
>> applications available to them.

>> Read this excellent article to transition from Windows to Linux.

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> Once you make the switch, you'll be glad you did and will NEVER look
>> back!

> What a Linux* luser.  Go back to smelling bicycle seats.

Hate to admit that you're living up to your name?
Hate to admit that you're too stupid to join the
Unix world? Pissed off that MCSEs are losing their
credentials at an alarming rate because there aren't
enough jobs to go around and the tests have gotten
too difficult for you? You're the loser. Sour
spoiled minds always are.

Frustrated with Windows? Read on....

Post by Kadaitcha Ma » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:05:03

[Red Hat 6.1; 7.0; 7.1; 7;3; and lastly 8.0.
Mandrake (don't remember for sure the version)
Debian Slink, Potato, Woody, and Sarge
Suse 8.1]

Quote:> You guys can argue all day if you want as to if I'm telling the truth
> or not (I am). I have run all those distros and I did lose it while
> attempting to run wine and a Windows app. I did lose a lot of my
> system, especially my KDE...

Cool!

Frustrated with Windows? Read on....

Post by Gazwa » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:55:00

Berny  asked wistfully...

|| I can not remember

A typical trait of a linux*.

--

Gazwad

* scientist and people tester.
Guardian: alt.os.windows-xp
Moderator: alt.warez.uk

http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Frustrated with Windows? Read on....

Post by Lin?nu » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:17:55

While watching the eternal hourglass, Gazwad assayed this pronouncement:

Quote:> Berny  asked wistfully...

> || I can not remember

> A typical trait of a linux*.

Keep it up, Gaz, you're making us look good!

"Windows -- it makes you curse!"

1. LILO answers HERE read read read

Hey people, I have seen MANY MANY posts about the lilo L 10 10 10
problem, and I had the same problem until today.  I am a linux newbie,
so anything I say is questionable.  Let me say that you should not
follow my directions. You should not read this and I probably didn't
even post it.  Now... If you want to know what I think read on.

I believe there are several possible causes for LILO not booting, but
if you get the L 10 10 error, you can be assured you HAVE GOT
EVERYTHING SET UP RIGHT AS FAR AS GETTING TO LILO.  The problem is Lilo
can't do it's job once you get to it.  Setting up another boot manager
may help, for SOME of the causes of this error, detailed below, but for
others it won't do any good at all.

The first reason, and probably the most common reason, is the
limitation of lilo where it can't boot from a partition beyond the
1024th cylinder of the HD.  As I write this I think there is a NEW
version of lilo, which has overcome this limitation.  I picked up some
hearsay about it, so I won't promise.  There are also other kernel boot
loaders which don't have this problem.  The one I've tried is called
nuni.  I was told to go to www.freshmeat.net and search for it.  So go
ahead and to that.  If the partition that contains /boot is located
beyond cylinder 1024 in your configuration (use fdisk to find out) this
could be your problem.

Now if you know that /boot is before cyl. 1024, then trying to fix the
problem with the above approach won't help.  If you are trying to boot
from a hard drive other than the primary (hda or hdb are primary, hdc
and hdd are not) then probably the situation is your bios doesn't
support booting from the drive.  That doesn't have anything to do with
lilo and it will give you the L 10 10 error in any case.  To solve this
problem, you have to create a small linux partition on the primary
drive which will hold the contents of /boot.  In otherwords set the
mount point for this small partition to /boot.  Now you can install
lilo in the MBR, or in your linux partition on the secondary drive,
whichever you prefer.  Putting in in the MBR makes lilo your boot
manager.  Putting it in your linux partition means you want to use
another boot manager.

There may be other causes of this common error...but I don't know about
them.

I hope this helps, thanks to the posts that helped me solve my problem.

I believe that there should be more data added to a HOWTO, maybe the
LILO HOWTO, adding some of these details...But I don't know how that
stuff is handled.  In the meantime I think I'll write up something in
the way of a NHF.  Look for it.

--chronologic

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Which external cdrom for sparcbook?

3. Reading Windows CD on Linux 2.4.6

4. X11 and reboots

5. Can Linux Read Windows NT File System (NTFS) ?

6. DIP

7. mount a NTFS windows 2000 partition read-write

8. More than one PDC?

9. Read UFS in Windows (FAT32)

10. Read Unix man pages in Window ?

11. Reading the Windows NT registry under Linux

12. Windows is trying to read my linux hd?

13. Windows reading Linux