It's not so much *what* I do with Linux that counts.

It's not so much *what* I do with Linux that counts.

Post by Tim Littl » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

No doubt there are some folks doing things with Linux that just can't be
done with Windows, Mac, OS/2, etc. But I'm sure I can't be the only one
who finds it's not so much *what* I'm doing with Linux that makes me a
Linux advocate - - rather, it's the *way* I work with my computer now,
as opposed to when I used '95, that makes me a true believer. Mac folks
have said this for years. I think I have some understanding of their
plight now, though our future in Linux is much brighter.

I'm saying that I still use my home machine for coding, word processing,
spreadsheet calculations, and communications (web, etc.), pretty much as
I did with '95. But under Linux and KDE, it is as if my hardware
resources have expanded. It seems almost as if my RAM, CPU, and video
adapter extended themselves magically. Using six active desktops under
KDE, I find myself working in ways I never did with '95. I think nothing
of leaving several apps open for days at a time, knowing they'll be
there when I come back.

I probably get the biggest kick out of the stability of Linux. . .
nothing more needs to be said on that topic, I guess.

So I don't claim to be doing anything great with Linux, nothing original
or spectacular. I'm just doing what I always did, but I feel I get more
out the time I spend computing.

TL

--

"Things are more the way they are now than they have ever been before."
-Former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Post by Terry Port » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>No doubt there are some folks doing things with Linux that just can't be
>done with Windows, Mac, OS/2, etc. But I'm sure I can't be the only one
>who finds it's not so much *what* I'm doing with Linux that makes me a
>Linux advocate - - rather, it's the *way* I work with my computer now,
>as opposed to when I used '95, that makes me a true believer. Mac folks
>have said this for years. I think I have some understanding of their
>plight now, though our future in Linux is much brighter.

>I'm saying that I still use my home machine for coding, word processing,
>spreadsheet calculations, and communications (web, etc.), pretty much as
>I did with '95. But under Linux and KDE, it is as if my hardware
>resources have expanded. It seems almost as if my RAM, CPU, and video
>adapter extended themselves magically. Using six active desktops under
>KDE, I find myself working in ways I never did with '95. I think nothing
>of leaving several apps open for days at a time, knowing they'll be
>there when I come back.

>I probably get the biggest kick out of the stability of Linux. . .
>nothing more needs to be said on that topic, I guess.

>So I don't claim to be doing anything great with Linux, nothing original
>or spectacular. I'm just doing what I always did, but I feel I get more
>out the time I spend computing.

Its funny, when I switched from Windoze95 some 8 months ago, 4 virtual desktops
seemed about 2 too many. Lately Ive been thinking of increasing to 6, as
each vd now has 2 or 3 apps running and there isnt enough room!
Regarding Tims "magical extensions", this also has been my experience
(although I couldnt have put it so succinctly :-).

terry
--
-- *     SLRN Newsreader via Xfree86 on   ---- LINUX ----    2.0.30        ****
*                       Perth Western Australia                               *

1. getting 'more' to not count termcap formatting strings

I wrote a termcap based hex file dump program that works really well, and
has lots of features, but it would be nice to be able to pipe the output
through 'more'.   'more' screws up because its count of characters coming
into it isn't the same as what actually gets shown on the screen.  Is there
a standard way to do this?  I had thought about sending all the termcap
stuff to standard error, but then I realized I would have to flush
stderr's buffer after every formatting string to keep the output properly
interlaced (and it didn't seem that this would even necessarily be adequate
to keep the order correct.)  'more' handles underlining fine, but that's
programmed into it.  Am I out of luck?

-Roger

--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra

2. ctime corruption..help?

3. Linux is NOT a real alternative for DOS in it's present state !!!

4. Setting Up POP3

5. How can I count files in a directory and not it's subdirectory?

6. WANTED: info and experience with double.

7. How to not have process number / 'done' line for background process?

8. lightning protection: automated power off then back on?

9. How to get background task to not return prcess # and 'done' line

10. It's not linux, and it's not me

12. Memory >64MB: NT can count it, why can't Linux?

13. getting only the COUNT from 'wc'