Microsoft in rebranding exercise -- InfoWorld.com

Microsoft in rebranding exercise -- InfoWorld.com

Post by Daero » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:21:30

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/04/21/16windows_1.html
MICROSOFT PRIES LID OFF STACK
Company claims new combination of server and tools surpasses Java
Paul  Krill  --  April 21 2003

Microsoft will unveil on Thursday Windows Server 2003... The software
giant will also rebrand its server portfolio ... The .Net tag will be
retired from server products .."

".. The server and tools are being launched together to create synergy
between the products", said Dennis Oldroyd, director of Windows Server
marketing at Microsoft in Redmond, Wash.

"Ironically, Microsoft is touting its Windows server platform as a
cheaper alternative to Linux. 'We really feel that we deliver some
unique value in terms of dependability, manageability, and performance
relative to open-source products,' Oldroyd said."

"Improvements in Active Directory, however, should entice some
customers to upgrade. 'It gives you tools to basically manage security
and privileges that users have on very large networks,' Iams said."
....... unquote .......

<rebrand> So basically a gigantic  re-branding exercise  --  that is
all.

<create synergy> He actually said synergy, in a real sentence. This
has become a standing joke. Has he never read Dilbert. "We plan to
utilize synergy to effectively interface with customer equity."
.But wait where's "paradigm" or "empower" or " proactive".

<We really feel that we deliv...> I think what he means is that
Windows costs less than OSS. This is of course complete and utter
bullshit. Or MarketSpeak if you would prefer.

<Active Directory .. gives you .. tools to .. manage security .. on ..
networks> Wow AD can do all this . I wonder do Novel have anything
comparible to this mostinnovative of products ? How does NDS stand up
?

Post by Ryan » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 04:33:26

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/04/21/16windows_1.html
> MICROSOFT PRIES LID OFF STACK
> Company claims new combination of server and tools surpasses Java
> Paul  Krill  --  April 21 2003

> Microsoft will unveil on Thursday Windows Server 2003... The software
> giant will also rebrand its server portfolio ... The .Net tag will be
> retired from server products .."

> ".. The server and tools are being launched together to create synergy
> between the products", said Dennis Oldroyd, director of Windows Server
> marketing at Microsoft in Redmond, Wash.

> "Ironically, Microsoft is touting its Windows server platform as a
> cheaper alternative to Linux. 'We really feel that we deliver some
> unique value in terms of dependability, manageability, and performance
> relative to open-source products,' Oldroyd said."

> "Improvements in Active Directory, however, should entice some
> customers to upgrade. 'It gives you tools to basically manage security
> and privileges that users have on very large networks,' Iams said."
> ....... unquote .......

> <rebrand> So basically a gigantic  re-branding exercise  --  that is
> all.

> <create synergy> He actually said synergy, in a real sentence. This
> has become a standing joke. Has he never read Dilbert. "We plan to
> utilize synergy to effectively interface with customer equity."
> .But wait where's "paradigm" or "empower" or " proactive".

> <We really feel that we deliv...> I think what he means is that
> Windows costs less than OSS. This is of course complete and utter
> bullshit. Or MarketSpeak if you would prefer.

> <Active Directory .. gives you .. tools to .. manage security .. on ..
> networks> Wow AD can do all this . I wonder do Novel have anything
> comparible to this mostinnovative of products ? How does NDS stand up
> ?

Haven't you heard, their a systems company now.  Windows Server System and
Office System.  Truly pathetic.

Microsoft in rebranding exercise -- InfoWorld.com

Post by Daero » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:42:13

<snip>

Quote:>Haven't you heard, their a systems company now.  Windows Server System and
>Office System.  Truly pathetic.

Thank you Nymshifter for that comment. But I'de much prefer if you
stuck to the one name from now on.

1. SCO lawsuit just so much noise says Oracle, infoWORLD.com

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/06/HNorlin_1.html
Lawsuit won't stop Linux, Oracle exec says
Company remains committed to open source platform
Paul Krill  June 06 2003

SANTA CLARA, CALIF. -- An ongoing legal challenge to Linux is not likely
to stop the market's march to Linux overall, but it may stall some
movement to the open source platform, an Oracle official said at the
Enterprise Linux Forum conference here on Friday.

---

"I think [the lawsuit] causes drag but it's not causing drag at Oracle.
We are full speed ahead. We have seen nothing that tells us we should
change our stance on Linux," Dargo said.

"It still remains as a contractual dispute between SCO and IBM and we'll
have to see how that plays out in the market. Everything else, frankly,
is just noise," said Dargo.
-------

2. video hardware support?

3. HP Thailand launches Linux laptop for $450 -- INFOWORLD.com

4. Does anyone know where this article is???

5. W2K03 'customer experience' flawed -- INFOWORLD.com

6. 1.1.23 breaks floppy

7. Microsoft uses non-compete clause to stifle home networking innovation, news.COM.com

8. Memory purge

9. Microsoft's connection to SCO anti-Linux campaign -- NEWS.COM.com

10. Microsoft to offer antivirus systems, news.COM.com

11. Microsoft bundles Operating System with IE NEWS.COM.com

12. Microsoft On Target For Unix Explorer 4.0 Beta - InfoWorld

13. Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM