One problem with Linux

Post by Jacques Gu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

... is that most books on it seem to have been written
by M$ goons.

A few  months ago I bought SAMS Teach Yourself Linux,
which comes with Caldera Linux 2.2. The soundblaster
driver on the CD, however, was compiled with a different
kernel, wouldn't work, and recompiling it is quite
beyond the knowledge of a newbie like me. I call that
sabotage (are you listening to this, Unca SAMS? Yeah
keep your ears plugged)

The other day I bought "Installing OpenLinux and StarOffice
for Dummies", that comes with Caldera 2.3. No joy. The
*y thing does not seem to want to do anything unless
you are already running Win95 or whatever.

This is particularly galling, as I have Caldera 2.2, installed
from a special issue of Australian PC Magazine, and which,
under plain old dos, installed like a dream. That version
cost me less than half the "For Dummies". Well, look at it
this way: it did say "For Dummies" didn't it? Fair warning,
wasn't it? Has Billy Goats bought out "For Dummies" and
SAMS? Looks like it.

One problem with Linux

Post by Steven Smolins » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>A few  months ago I bought SAMS Teach Yourself Linux,
>which comes with Caldera Linux 2.2.

That was your first mistake.

Quote:>The other day I bought "Installing OpenLinux and StarOffice
>for Dummies", that comes with Caldera 2.3.

And that was your second.

It's quite hard to find a SAMS book worth a damn, and the
"for Dummies" series really are for dummies; and dummies
never get anything done properly.

When you think computer books, think O'Reilly.  There's
hardly a stinker in the bunch.

Steve

One problem with Linux

Post by simon.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Get Mandrake 7.x from CheapBytes.com at $1.99 USD.

Sams Books are not what they used to be when they had repair manuals
and diagrams for televisions, radios and such.

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 08:07:28 -0700, Jacques Guy

>... is that most books on it seem to have been written
>by M$ goons.

>A few  months ago I bought SAMS Teach Yourself Linux,
>which comes with Caldera Linux 2.2. The soundblaster
>driver on the CD, however, was compiled with a different
>kernel, wouldn't work, and recompiling it is quite
>beyond the knowledge of a newbie like me. I call that
>sabotage (are you listening to this, Unca SAMS? Yeah
>keep your ears plugged)

>The other day I bought "Installing OpenLinux and StarOffice
>for Dummies", that comes with Caldera 2.3. No joy. The
>*y thing does not seem to want to do anything unless
>you are already running Win95 or whatever.

>This is particularly galling, as I have Caldera 2.2, installed
>from a special issue of Australian PC Magazine, and which,
>under plain old dos, installed like a dream. That version
>cost me less than half the "For Dummies". Well, look at it
>this way: it did say "For Dummies" didn't it? Fair warning,
>wasn't it? Has Billy Goats bought out "For Dummies" and
>SAMS? Looks like it.

One problem with Linux

Post by Matthias Wark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It was the Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:10:29 GMT...

Quote:> When you think computer books, think O'Reilly.  There's
> hardly a stinker in the bunch.

O'Reilly absolutely rule. They're a great company turning out great
books. I mean it (and they don't pay me to say that).

mawa
--
Papierstauentferner!
Partnerbefriediger!

One problem with Linux

Post by Ray Chaso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Get Mandrake 7.x from CheapBytes.com at $1.99 USD.

Probably not a good idea for a newbie.  You WinTrolls are right on one
point:  Linux can be a pain to install, especially if you want to
continue using Windows on the same computer.  You really want to have
a good book at your side when you try it the first time.

Even I got my first distro with a book, and I've been cranking out code
since I was twelve years old.

Quote:>Sams Books are not what they used to be when they had repair manuals
>and diagrams for televisions, radios and such.

I consider myself warned.

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

One problem with Linux

Post by Gary Halloc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >Get Mandrake 7.x from CheapBytes.com at $1.99 USD.

> Probably not a good idea for a newbie.  You WinTrolls are right on one
> point:  Linux can be a pain to install, especially if you want to
> continue using Windows on the same computer.  You really want to have
> a good book at your side when you try it the first time.

> Even I got my first distro with a book, and I've been cranking out code
> since I was twelve years old.

> >Sams Books are not what they used to be when they had repair manuals
> >and diagrams for televisions, radios and such.

> I consider myself warned.

> --
>  --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
>          PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc
>                             Delenda est Windoze

And Mandrake only costs $30 anyway.  With that you get some good docs.

Gary

1. First steps with LINUX (and first problems)

Hello linuxers,

After excitation time, such a wonderfull system to use, comes work time !

I "choose" Slackware, because a friend at work already downloaded it on disks
-:) and It's a ggod choice (IMHO - no flames -:)

Even if very complete (as a first impression), I find some elements missing :

        no man page for who (1) ? (but who -foo gives me some informations -:)
        did i forget to install something ?

        more important for me, I can't find the lockf function ! this is very
        embarrassing for the software I try to port on Linux. (Quite everything
        is based on that -:). All the other opearting Systems *IX (SUNOS 4.X,
        Solaris 2.X, HPUX, AIX, Ultrix and OSF/1) have such a function so why
        tell me whyyy not Linux ? Any suggestion would really be welcome !!

Some other strange things :

        find . -exec grep foo {}\; -print begins and does nothing visible
        if I do ^Z and bg, I have a message saying it's blocked on tty input ??
        any comment ?

        in vi, if I do :!ls, after that the Up, Down... keys don't work anymore
        Why ? and how to change that.

Thanks for reading till here. Any hint...mail or post is OK.

Configuration : Slackware 1.1.0 Linux 0.99pl13 DX2/66 Cirrus Logic TARGA 17"

--

Services Techniques de la Navigation Aerienne
95, Rue Henri Rochefort

--

Services Techniques de la Navigation Aerienne
95, Rue Henri Rochefort
91000 Evry  - FRANCE
Phone : (33 1) 60 79 82 28

2. KDE2 help

3. 2.4.21-pre5-ac1: one old problem, one new problem

4. Script to change ip information...

5. One question, One problem

6. Linux box as telnet terminal server

7. One easy, one less so, one not quite so.....

8. Stripping DOS CRLFs automatically from html-pages ?

9. problem with SSIs - only the first one is parsed correctly.

10. apache, day one, hour one, minute one, local write permission !?!?!?!?

11. 2 Problems, One with LILO and one with X

12. RPM Problems (Read this one not the one below it!)

13. Forget my first one...the real problem..