In the latest version of Windows 2000/.Net Magazine

In the latest version of Windows 2000/.Net Magazine

Post by Matthew Gardine » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:03:34

Just having a good look at the magazines at the local newsagents, as you
do during a lunch break, and funny enough, I find out that Microsoft
refuses to allow OEM's to bundle Linux with PC's, even after the ruling by
the court that they abused their monopoly in the OEM market.  The most
humorous part is the fact that the Microsoft exec claimed that they were
"protecting consumers" because if Microsoft allowed OEM's to bundle Linux
and/or alternative OS (You sometimes running who actually is running these
PC companies if Microsoft has such a large say) that it would "confuse the
public".  Can anyone here find this *hard to swollow? the same company
that "promotes" competition, yet, when a company tries to enter its own
turf, Microsoft some how tries to legitimate their actions as being some
sort of "consumer guardian". Sounds awfully communist, the old "nanny
states knows best" metality, always thinking they know whats best. I could
imagine the future according to Microsoft, "no, no, it isn't wise to think
like that, here is a copy of Office XP version 9, and make sure you don't
have any of those "alternative" thoughts again, you may even start finding
out that alternatives are better quality, and the anti-GPL compaign by us
is a big smokescreen used to hide our inabilities to create a quality(s)
product at a reasonable price".

Mattthew Gardiner

In the latest version of Windows 2000/.Net Magazine

Post by mjt » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:48:00

1. Trouble compiling apache 1.3.27 on windows 2000 with .NET

Hey gurus and non gurus,

I'm trying for the first time to install apache on windows, this is new for me
as I'm a unix guy. I purchased Microsoft's Visual C++ .NET to compile apache
with. After running the commands 'nmake /f Makefile.win _apacher' it goes
through what looks like the standard build, or so I'm assuming :/

What I'm looking for is how to configure this to install the things I want and
need, eg. mod_perl, mod_ssl, php, etc.

I have read the http://httpd.apache.org/docs/win_compiling.html but it does
not mention about modules :( From what I can tell this just builds a default
apache installation. To be precise what I need to compile for is php, MySQL,
Perl, and SSL, mainly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trell

2. Strange Printer/Parallel Port Problem

3. Windows 2000 magazine admits Open Source software is more secure.

4. Current bandwidth usage

5. Wishlists for Linux AND Windows 2000 (was Re: Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000)

6. Source control/Version control wanted

7. Q: How do I get from the latest stable kernel version to the latest prepatch version ?

8. LS -120 "floppy" drive

9. Windows 2000 - the latest from work....

10. choosing between VMWare linux and Windows NT/2000 version

11. What version os Samba should I use for Windows 2000 Professional cl

12. What version os Samba should I use for Windows 2000 Professional clients?

13. Dual Boot Windows 2000 - BestLinux 2000