Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Bone » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:30:00

[snip]

Quote:> Well, my version must be *ed. It's only happened since this new kernel.
> Mind you, I wouldn't expect any better from Linus and his band of amateurs.

I don't know what point you tried to make there, but being an amateur only
implies not being paid. Which in the case of Linus, is correct. He does not
get paid for his work on the kernel.

You should not that neither this term nor the term 'professional' give any
hint about the expertise of the person being described. One can be an
amateur or professional and be expert or inexperienced. Generally an amateur
is the more expert (provided he isn't just starting out), because he is
doing what he loves. It is a mistake to think that throwing money at an
employee makes him expert.

--

Bones

The opinions stated here are my own, and do
not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by chris » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:40:28

>Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
>love Linux?

Ignore the troll!

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Johan Lindqui » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:09:10

<nothing of interest>

Tue, 22 Jan 2002 at 15:30 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

Quote:> doing what he loves. It is a mistake to think that throwing money at
> an employee makes him expert.

Imo it's a mistake to think that the square one will ever snap out of
it and join the human race. Regardless of monetary offerings or no, I
might add.

cheers,

     /Johan

--
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.        Perth ---> *
  5:06pm  up 40 days, 23:18,  3 users,  load average: 1.17, 1.23, 1.14

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Donn Mille » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:52:46

> > I didn't have that problem with X. But when using Mandrake 8.1 and trying
> > to switch from X to a virtual console using [Ctrl-Alt-F#], sometimes X
> > would crash and automatically restart. I had to get in the habit of saving
> > everything I was working on before doing it or it'd be lost.

> Hmmm... that's odd.  I don't think the text buffers are connected to the X
> server.  But then again I'm not certain about this.  Maybe someone else can
> shed some light on this.  I know under OpenVMS I don't have this problem.

Well, XFree86 interacts with the console driver and runs on top of it.
So, it's possible that XFree can totally*up the text console, and
even render it useless.

http://www.veryComputer.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by domi » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:32:58

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:01:01 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>> Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
>>> love Linux?

>>perhaps if you're stupid?

> It did it itself, nothing to do with me.

does the word 'configuration' mean anything to you?
domi

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Bone » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 05:44:58

>> Imo it's a mistake to think that the square one will ever snap out of
>> it and join the human race. Regardless of monetary offerings or no, I
>> might add.
> I will for 100.

LOL! Ah HA! Now he finally reveals his motivation!  "Give me money or I will
continue to be a cantankerous b*st*rd!"

--

Post by yt.. » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 05:55:18

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:45:30 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>> The problem with your computer is now and always has been that youre an
>>> idiot.

>>Must be a loose connection between the chair and the keyboard.
> You're really not funny.

You're really retarded.  Why are you still here?

-----.

--
Theres a hole in the world like a great black pit and
its filled with people who are filled with shit and the

Top tip: don't exit X!

?
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by GreyClou » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:53:28

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:45:30 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>> The problem with your computer is now and always has been that youre an
>>> idiot.

>>Must be a loose connection between the chair and the keyboard.

> You're really not funny.

I thought it was funny.  I've heard it before in other newsgroups.

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by GreyClou » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:00:05

>>> I didn't have that problem with X. But when using Mandrake 8.1 and
>>> trying to switch from X to a virtual console using [Ctrl-Alt-F#],
>>> sometimes X would crash and automatically restart. I had to get in the
>>> habit of saving everything I was working on before doing it or it'd be
>>> lost.

>> Hmmm... that's odd.  I don't think the text buffers are connected to the
>> server.  But then again I'm not certain about this.  Maybe someone else
>> can
>> shed some light on this.  I know under OpenVMS I don't have this problem.

> I've never had the problem on any other distribution, just Mandrake 8.1.
> I'm sure I could have found the cause of the problem with some Googling,
> but never got around to it. Have much better things to do like use the
> computer instead of fixing it.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  For some reason, don't know why, I never did
take a liking to Mandrake.  At least someone did answer the post tho.
I learn something new everyday in this ng.