Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by ric » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 05:56:49

Quote:>Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
>love Linux?

Perhaps it does on your planet.  I have no problem leaving X and returning
to a command prompt.

--
The reason I use Linux is because I've used Windows.

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by bd » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 06:15:04

> Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
> love Linux?

It dosen't for me...

Visualize whirled peas.

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Rollo Toma » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:40:49

>On 21 Jan 2002 20:56:49 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
>>>love Linux?

>>Perhaps it does on your planet.  I have no problem leaving X and returning
>>to a command prompt.

>Well, my version must be *ed. It's only happened since this new kernel.
>Mind you, I wouldn't expect any better from Linus and his band of amateurs.

You announced to the whole world that you were done with Linux for good.
Why are you still using it?

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Mike » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:58:35

Quote:> Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
> love Linux?

Yeah, it used to do that to me, too. I reported it in a response to one of
your complaints last year about Linux crashing. In my case, the problem was
with Gnome, which sent a power down signal to the hardware whenever it
stopped. If you want to fix it, try switching window managers and desktops,
and see if the problem goes away.

If you just want to complain about it, of course, you're in the right place.

-- Mike --

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by domi » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:01:01

> Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
> love Linux?

perhaps if you're stupid?
domi

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Jim Richardso » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:21:39

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:41:24 +0000 (UTC),

>>On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:15:04 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>It dosen't for me...

>>Well it does for me, and that's all that matters.

> You announced to the whole world that you were done with
> Linux for good.  Why are you still using it?

He's a liar, nothing he says can be trusted.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Sinister Midge » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:34:32

Thus saith drsquare:

Quote:> Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you
> just love Linux?

After the last that I read, and also wasted time responding to, I see
that this is classic trolling once more.

This problem hasn't happened to me once. Furthermore I continuously see
in newsgroups and mailing lists people asking how to activate something
similar (shutting the PC off when issuing a shutdown). I haven't seen a
single instance of the PC being shut off without issuing a shutdown. I
can envision an instance when that might happen, but that would take
positive effort on the part of whomever is administering the box, not
something that just happens. I can say that because it would require 2
separate actions to force it: logout of a session, _and_ the issuing of
a shutdown command. Those actions are controlled by separate binaries,
and aren't connected in any way that this could be triggered.

Sorry, I don't buy. I'll also avoid responding to any more of this
trolling except possibly when responding to someone later in a thread.
You, however, will be gently ignored.

--
An NT server can be run by any idiot, and usually is.

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Christopher Lansdow » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:41:54

This is just weird.  You're have way to many problems for one person.
Perhaps you're installation got fubared somehow?  What distribution is
it?

-Chris

--

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by yt.. » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:05:08

> On 21 Jan 2002 20:56:49 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
>>>love Linux?

>>Perhaps it does on your planet.  I have no problem leaving X and returning
>>to a command prompt.
> Well, my version must be *ed. It's only happened since this new kernel.
> Mind you, I wouldn't expect any better from Linus and his band of amateurs.

The problem with your computer is now and always has been that youre an idiot.

-----.

--
Theres a hole in the world like a great black pit and
its filled with people who are filled with shit and the

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by GreyClou » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:42:51

>> Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
>> love Linux?

> I didn't have that problem with X. But when using Mandrake 8.1 and trying
> to switch from X to a virtual console using [Ctrl-Alt-F#], sometimes X
> would crash and automatically restart. I had to get in the habit of saving
> everything I was working on before doing it or it'd be lost.

Hmmm... that's odd.  I don't think the text buffers are connected to the X
server.  But then again I'm not certain about this.  Maybe someone else can
shed some light on this.  I know under OpenVMS I don't have this problem.

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by GreyClou » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:43:54

> Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
> love Linux?

You don't have your microwave oven plugged into the back of your PC by
chance do you??

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by GreyClou » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:45:30

>> On 21 Jan 2002 20:56:49 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>Perhaps it does on your planet.  I have no problem leaving X and
>>>returning to a command prompt.

>> Well, my version must be *ed. It's only happened since this new
>> kernel. Mind you, I wouldn't expect any better from Linus and his band of
>> amateurs.

> The problem with your computer is now and always has been that youre an
> idiot.

Must be a loose connection between the chair and the keyboard.

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Peter Hewet » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:14:30

drsquare is reported to have said:

Quote:> Because when you do, the computer will switch itself off! Don't you just
> love Linux?

Is this with the 2.4.5 kernel you compiled yesterday?
Maybe there was something in the compile or setup?

Top tip: don't exit X!

Post by Christopher Lansdow » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:12:12

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:41:54 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> Debian.

What release?

--

1. ksh: trap '...' exit int ... or just trap '...' exit?

trap '...' exit int ...

int will cause the script to exit, so '...' get run twice:

#!/bin/ksh

trap 'print a' exit int
sleep 10

^Ca

But the natural exit will always causes '...' to run,
which is often not desired.

So should we always write something like

trap 'print a' exit int
trap - exit
exit 0
?
--
Michael Wang
http://www.unixlabplus.com/

2. Poor results from Stealth 2001 (ark logic)

3. Tips for newbies: Don't cat files named "core"

4. NumLock in X

5. why ./configure use '{ (exit 1); exit 1; }' ?

6. forbidden access on symbolic links?

7. What is this supposed to return: "trap 'exit ' 0; exit"?

8. POP3 Error : Cannot find password file

9. DON'T EXIT SEYON (was: term111 ...

10. "Quit and save - Exit and don't save" why?

11. Apache: child processes don't exit

12. Don't want window to clear when exiting manpage

13. Inn news server: nnrpd processes don't exit